Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Upstate, the wording of your supplement seems to agree with our secretary: to get paid for the holidays, you need only work the days before and after the holiday. Now, if you miss your scheduled shift on the holiday you are probably looking at the company disciplining you for missing a scheduled shift, but according to the contract, the only days that must be worked to get the holiday pay are the days before and after the holiday, not the holiday itself, even if we are scheduled to work that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate, the wording of your supplement seems to agree with our secretary: to get paid for the holidays, you need only work the days before and after the holiday. Now, if you miss your scheduled shift on the holiday you are probably looking at the company disciplining you for missing a scheduled shift, but according to the contract, the only days that must be worked to get the holiday pay are the days before and after the holiday, not the holiday itself, even if we are scheduled to work that day.

I think you may be splitting hairs. While we are getting paid for the holiday, Black Friday is no longer a holiday and if you bang in on that day you do risk not getting paid for both holidays.

TOS posted a letter his local received from corporate clearly stating that if anyone not on vacation or previously scheduled off banged in they would not be paid for either holiday.

We have a senior driver who is not on vacation or previously scheduled off who has already told management that he will not be there. I will be very curious to see how this plays out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You folks not in the 177 or 804:

Was day after Thanksgiving always a holiday? Years back, it was not one for us (177). We traded another holiday for it back in the late 70's.

I think you may be splitting hairs. While we are getting paid for the holiday, Black Friday is no longer a holiday and if you bang in on that day you do risk not getting paid for both holidays.

TOS posted a letter his local received from corporate clearly stating that if anyone not on vacation or previously scheduled off banged in they would not be paid for either holiday.

We have a senior driver who is not on vacation or previously scheduled off who has already told management that he will not be there. I will be very curious to see how this plays out.
We dont not have to work,the day before or day after ,to get paid.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Side question: what does it mean to have overtime "pyramided"?

In the section dealing with holiday pay, there is a sentence that says, "In any week in which a holiday falls, daily overtime shall commence after their normal daily work schedule and thirty-two (32) hours weekly, except where the holiday is worked or falls on Saturday. At no time shall overtime be pyramided."

In the section dealing with holiday pay, there is a sentence that says, "In any week in which a holiday falls, daily overtime shall commence after their normal daily work schedule and thirty-two (32) hours weekly, except where the holiday is worked or falls on Saturday. At no time shall overtime be pyramided."
Take this example. If you work the day after Thanksgiving. You get paid time and a half(or whatever your supplement says) You dont not get time and a half,on time and a half,if you work more than 8 hours.

Hope that makes sense.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Upstate, no, Black Friday is still a holiday; otherwise we wouldn't be getting holiday pay for working it (is your local getting the holiday pay?). For me, it's double-time for time-worked, with anything over 8hrs at triple time, PLUS 8 hrs of holiday pay. What's more, as was highlighted at our meeting, a lot of plans are changing in the background as UPS is starting to realize they may not need everyone to work that day. Those who don't work still get paid for the holiday.

I'm not splitting hairs; it's really two separate issues: what is required for getting the holiday pay on Thanksgiving and Black Friday; and what happens to those scheduled to work Black Friday but choose not to come in.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Well that's funny I've, because that's what I was just told at the meeting, after hearing it being murmured throughout the building. Initially it didn't make sense, since the whole day was a "volunteer " day, for which we were already getting premium pay. Now I'm confused again.

I think I need to ask my secretary what he thinks that means, as it seems he is incorrect on the triple - overtime rate.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

All that means is no one will get paid overtime twice. That language is there for the over 40 overtime and the over 8 overtime. You can't count it twice.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We dont not have to work,the day before or day after ,to get paid.
That rule must vary by local...in 804, you only need to work any 2 days during the week of the holiday...not necessarily the day before or after.
You folks not in the 177 or 804:

Was day after Thanksgiving always a holiday? Years back, it was not one for us (177). We traded another holiday for it back in the late 70's.
That's interesting...I wonder if it was the same in 804? If I remember I'll ask a porter next week.

happybob

Feeders
I prefer the language in the New England Supplement. You get paid the holiday pay provided you work any day during the pay period. If the holiday falls on a day you normally don't work you get 8 hours pay added to your weeks pay. If the holiday falls on a vacation week you get an additional days pay in your vacation check.

Last edited:
Well that's funny I've, because that's what I was just told at the meeting, after hearing it being murmured throughout the building. Initially it didn't make sense, since the whole day was a "volunteer " day, for which we were already getting premium pay. Now I'm confused again.
Yes It is a holiday (for us) but it's not a holiday

IMHO if you worked Thanksgiving (legal holiday) you would get triple time.

the day after(not a legal holiday) but a holiday for us,probably not triple time.

I before E,except after C,or something like that.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
OK, so you have the day off-----do you think the volume that your locals would have handled that day is just going to disappear? You guys are going to get hammered on the following Monday.

I am on vacation but have already asked my major customers if they will be open or closed that day-----the only closure is Walmart (inside deliveries are still open). The local college had the option of being open or closed but since we are working they have decided to open just long enough to accept their packages. Whomever is covering my run will have a full day.

I'm on vacay that week also, but your Wal-Mart is closed on Black Friday? Ours is even open on Thanksgiving.

bigrig

Ok here we go. Day after thanks giving is a holiday. Contractually it was bargained as so, but since our this last contract was negotiated we must have lost the day after thanksgiving. I recalled supervisors say that we would no longer have that day off. As I said in the past we members we're keep in the dark about contract negotiations. We were told to vote for the first offer they threw at us. Now things that we're bargained are showing up. I have been a upser for over 30yrs and never heard and local tell us to vote yes on the first offer of contract. In my opinion I think it's time for a change in our union. I believe leadership is failing its members by not looking out for us. Now the real question is what other contract issues have been lost. If you can get your hands on a contract book which I gave not seen as of yet or a ups calendar for 2014-15 you will see that the day after thanksgiving is no longer highlighted meaning we will no longer gave that day off. It is a Sad day for union members. This year you probably won't be forced to work but next year there won't be a choice.

Packmule

Forced work that day seems pointless to me. There still isn't any notable jump in volume that day. About three days later, different story.
Just the company blowing smoke because they won't or can't find enough temp drivers.
I'm also an over 30 years of service driver. I always take that week off for vacation anyway so it's not affecting me much.
We do still get paid holiday pay for it.