Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
And they let you work until Xmas eve? How long did they let you work with this on the job injury?
About a week , they worked with me cause I actually got paid to train the driver that was running my route until the pain hit and had to go to the hospital. Before that they had someone with me at all times.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Your right and 7years ago I actually got a hernia from a 100 lb package and they let me work til Xmas eve then I was out for 2months. The baseball sticking out was fixed and recuperating was no picnic with pain killers every 2to 4 hours and a weight increase to 215. Painted bumpers in the building for 4 weeks until the official ok.
That sucks..Yeah I've been pretty lucky so far in terms of injuries.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You knock on wood right now. I'm leaving in 4 years and hopefully without an injury or ill have to stay longer.
Most all the injuries on this job are all physical repetition injuries. Ya never know if a body part is going to wear out all of a sudden. You could do the job as safe as you can n lift n lower properly n still get hurt because of the physicality n repetition nature of the job. Precisely why I got the Aflac to cover my tail just in case something happens suddenly without warning.

upsbeernut

Most all the injuries on this job are all physical repetition injuries. Ya never know if a body part is going to wear out all of a sudden. You could do the job as safe as you can n lift n lower properly n still get hurt because of the physicality n repetition nature of the job. Precisely why I got the Aflac to cover my tail just in case something happens suddenly without warning.
I got a rich brother in law.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Have any of you seen a request day off list? Many pickups are closed so I can see routes being combined. The company would love to work the temps and not pay the overtime.

upsbeernut

M
Have any of you seen a request day off list? Many pickups are closed so I can see routes being combined. The company would love to work the temps and not pay the overtime.
Maybe I will go home that day , I'm number 4 in our center(3/24/86) let the temps take it, give them a map book, key fob , diad, and wish them good luck. I can almost predict an accident that day at one of the local malls or strip shopping centers.

upsgrunt

i have two but only cause i had somewhere to drop the middle off. Last couple of days ive had 220 and left at least 10 big ones in the building. The key to that is start a wall 4 feet from the bulk head door then pile it in the back. I need some room to get to the 1 , 2 and 3 thousand shelves. I know you have noticed the boxes keep getting bigger. Biggest item ever seen was a canoe.

I know what you are talking about. I had a hot tub last summer that almost didn't fit in my P57. Really?

upsbeernut

I know what you are talking about. I had a hot tub last summer that almost didn't fit in my P57. Really?
That's that portable one thru wal mart or sams club 600 dollars. Ive seen one come they like to have it myself portable blows up, and maintains a temp of 90degrees.

Last edited:

upsbeernut

Are you sure?
It was like7 feet by 7 feet by 3 feet.
Ginormous
No that's not the portable , you got screwed with something too big as usual since ups takes everything now by way of parking trailers at a big distributor with no regard for size.

HereWeGoAgain

Ok here we go. Day after thanks giving is a holiday. Contractually it was bargained as so, but since our this last contract was negotiated we must have lost the day after thanksgiving. I recalled supervisors say that we would no longer have that day off. As I said in the past we members we're keep in the dark about contract negotiations. We were told to vote for the first offer they threw at us. Now things that we're bargained are showing up. I have been a upser for over 30yrs and never heard and local tell us to vote yes on the first offer of contract. In my opinion I think it's time for a change in our union. I believe leadership is failing its members by not looking out for us. Now the real question is what other contract issues have been lost. If you can get your hands on a contract book which I gave not seen as of yet or a ups calendar for 2014-15 you will see that the day after thanksgiving is no longer highlighted meaning we will no longer gave that day off. It is a Sad day for union members. This year you probably won't be forced to work but next year there won't be a choice.
You do realize we didn't lose this as a holiday? We're just being forced to work a paid holiday. It's double time plus holiday pay here in the central. Volume will be normal this day, they are just clearing out the system for the following week that we would normally run Monday. Just shut up and work a normal day make a grand and stop whining. It's not like your working a retail job getting paid 10 bucks an hour with no double time and no holiday pay.. Stop your crying nobody cares.

bumped

All my pickups are open. Or so, I said they're open. I hope UPS loses their ass on this day, so they never try it again.

zambie

As long as it isn't for essential services no one should have to work on Thanks Giving.
If you do want to work on National Turkey Day, you should get time and 3/4 pay. That's the way it was in the steel mill I worked, and to top it off we got catered a good meal for 'volunteering' to work TGD. If you'd like to see a more humorous perspective on this issue, look up "Once On A Holiday Moon, Poem."
Regardless your stand, you'll find it to be a good laugh.

upsm

I'm happy to have such a well paying job with THE BEST BENNIE's. It does sucks to be away from my family one more day but for 64.54 an hr I can handle it. That's holiday and straight time. Some may say it isn't double time but math is math. I am wok in 8 and getting pd 16. There are a lot of people out there making ugh much less. I am thankful!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I have started asking my customers if they will be open or not on Black Friday and so far only one has said that they will be closed. The college said that they are allowed to close for the day but are not sure if they will or not----they will probably come in and then leave after they get their delivery, which is usually around 11 am. Walmart is still not sure what they are doing that day.

I am on vacation that week so I really couldn't care less but I am doing this to try to take care of my cover driver and PDS.

Just curious if your supplement allows you to trade your vacation days that double on top of Thanksgiving and Black Friday for additional unpaid days off, like Optionals? Ours does and some drivers here use this feature frequently on Labor day, Memorial day and July 4th. I've heard that there was an email sent out to mgmt removing that option from Black Friday. Wondering if you had experienced this back East.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just curious if your supplement allows you to trade your vacation days that double on top of Thanksgiving and Black Friday for additional unpaid days off, like Optionals? Ours does and some drivers here use this feature frequently on Labor day, Memorial day and July 4th. I've heard that there was an email sent out to mgmt removing that option from Black Friday. Wondering if you had experienced this back East.

We are not allowed to take our vacations as single days.