Full time inside employees

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We are discount drivers. They have no problem letting someone topped go home because they donā€™t like their route that day. They just have one of us run it. If they call in sick, no problem. If I call in sick, Iā€™m in the office the next day. Hilarious.

That's because you are a valued part of the team

Raw

Raw Member
"jumping" is a colloquialism (I used a big word). I'm sorry.
Hope this helps.

colloquialism
[kəĖˆlōkwēəĖŒlizəm]

NOUN
  1. a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
    synonyms:
    wording Ā· diction Ā· phrasing Ā· phraseology Ā· style Ā· vocabulary Ā· terminology Ā· expressions Ā· turns of phrase Ā· parlance Ā· manner of writing/speaking Ā· way of talkingĀ·
    [more]
    • the use of ordinary or familiar words or phrases.
You should communicate more accurately

GaloSengen

Preloading Grunt
I haven`t been fired in 33 years. Now if they do I have full pension.
Well of course they're not gonna fire the dinosaur drivers, you're such valued employees with all that experience you've got under your belt! /s

My observation working on the preload is that new drivers either get fired or sent back inside because they get the highest air volume routes in the building, they're set up for failure from the start. The only exceptions to this rule are drivers who brown nosed the FT supervisors or female drivers.
There is a large workload imbalance between senior drivers and new drivers in my center due to the disproportionate amount of geriatrics that refuse to retire even though they're one heatstroke away from kicking the bucket.

I personally don't care about any of those work politics because
A. My actual job in the center is way too easy for me. Thus I have no reason to become a driver and
B. I'm only here for the free healthcare benefits

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I personally don't care about any of those work politics

Calling veteran drivers "dinosaurs" and "geriatrics".... makes me think you do care.

A. My actual job in the center is way too easy for me. Thus I have no reason to become a driver and
B. I'm only here for the free healthcare benefits

Spoken like a true millennial.

Absolutely, an under-whelming sense of purpose or desire for achievement.

I guess being adept at social media and video games.... is something ?

GaloSengen

Preloading Grunt
Calling veteran drivers "dinosaurs" and "geriatrics".... makes me think you do care.
I like to take jabs at the senior drivers because all they do is complain about their load and talk about how "back in my day when I was in your job position..." They lack self awareness about how irrelevant their anecdotal experience is and how little anyone loading their truck cares. Its like listening to drunks reminisce at the bar but without the alcohol.
Spoken like a true millennial.

Absolutely, an under-whelming sense of purpose or desire for achievement.

I guess being adept at social media and video games.... is something ?
I've already finished my education through the reimbursement program the company offers and work elsewhere FT. UPS isn't the endgame, it is a good company for those seeking job security and a straightforward career path and benefits for their pt workers. But it is way far from being the only option for gainful employment. Just because I didn't sell my soul to a physically exhausting job I somehow have no ambition or purpose? That's quite a ridiculous observation. But what can you expect from a boomer who probably thinks moving up the chain in a low skill job for 30+ years is the biggest achievement someone can accomplish.

Observer

Each center varies. Some centers it takes 15 + years. Less wear and tear on the body inside the building. It doesn't matter as management is still as nasty inside as outside. RPCD have more "knee" blowouts and look out winter - if you're in the snow belt. Ice is dangerous as are the morons on the road that have no idea how to drive. Heavy rain is another deterrent - hydroplaning.

trickpony1

Is jumping in and out of the package car a method?
Read my post #28 on this thread.

I'll rephrase it, "descending from/ascending to" the package car.

However you choose to phrase it and do it, the accumlative effects on your joints and skeletal structure, over the years, may be more harmful than working inside.

Just my opinion.
Having done both, what could I possibly know?

Hope this helps.

takesteady

I like to take jabs at the senior drivers because all they do is complain about their load and talk about how "back in my day when I was in your job position..." They lack self awareness about how irrelevant their anecdotal experience is and how little anyone loading their truck cares. Its like listening to drunks reminisce at the bar but without the alcohol.

I've already finished my education through the reimbursement program the company offers and work elsewhere FT. UPS isn't the endgame, it is a good company for those seeking job security and a straightforward career path and benefits for their pt workers. But it is way far from being the only option for gainful employment. Just because I didn't sell my soul to a physically exhausting job I somehow have no ambition or purpose? That's quite a ridiculous observation. But what can you expect from a boomer who probably thinks moving up the chain in a low skill job for 30+ years is the biggest achievement someone can accomplish.
I've already finished my education through the reimbursement program the company offers and work elsewhe

takesteady

I've already finished my education through the reimbursement program the company offers and work elsewhere FT

Same here. I donā€™t know if this popular sentiment here that preloaders are all just lazy burnouts with no ambition is some kind of coping mechanism or what, but most of the longer term inside employees at my hub have full time careers outside of UPS and have no interest in being a 60 driver with 3 knee surgeries under their belt who get their rocks off by telling war stories about their heavy work load like anybody else but them give a :censored2:. Itā€™s actually kind of sad.