Gas Prices

moreluck

golden ticket member
Someone here said I can't blame the politicians for that. Not trying to be a fat jerk or anything, but who can I blame for ethanol being legally mandated to be in my gas? I think that would be (drum roll).....................

Politicians. (Notice I am not picking on one side or the other; I am picking on both.)
Does it fall under the many regulations?

wkmac

Someone here said I can't blame the politicians for that. Not trying to be a fat jerk or anything, but who can I blame for ethanol being legally mandated to be in my gas? I think that would be (drum roll).....................

Politicians. (Notice I am not picking on one side or the other; I am picking on both.)

Yes, you can blame the politicians but also the farm lobby and yes even the oil lobby. You see corn production is a huge consumer of oil in fuel for tractors, oil based pesticides/herbicides and fertilizers. And then we've not considered the energy used in the production process of making corn into ethanol. Ethanol IMO was a huge corp. welfare win/win and it wasn't just the politicians who were the winners. Also in the heavy corn producing communities, they benefited as the economic boom spreads out to various support economic actors. In the Amerikanized central planning models, this was a gov't stimulus program from top to bottom. I agree the whole Solyndra boondoggle was wrong from top to bottom but I find so many here that scream of that yet never utter a peep about the very same thing when it happens in other forms. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites driven by mindless partiarchy as far as I'm concerned!

On the subject of oil and oil prices, I read this piece on peak oil yesterday and it made some interesting points. Going further, the idea of hydrocarbons as a fossil fuel and therefore of a depleting supply IMO begs to be questioned. In a general sense, below is the 5 cent explanation of where hydrocarbons come from.

While there are many different uses for hydrocarbons, fuels are by far the most prevalent. The bonds in many hydrocarbons contain a significant amount of energy that can be released when they are burned as fuel. Fossil fuels are made up of decayed organic matter, which is composed largely of molecules made up of hydrogen and carbon. Unfortunately, fossil fuels such as coal are considered nonrenewable resources since it can take organic matter millions of years to decay into fossil fuels. Burning such fuels also releases gases into the atmosphere that can be harmful to the environment and to humans.
Hydrocarbon fossil fuels come in two primary forms. Liquid fuels are known as petroleum or mineral oil and gaseous fossil fuels are known as natural gas. Coal is a solid fossil fuel. All are very important because of their high energy content, but none are renewable as they are all formed through decomposition. As such, scientists are always seeking alternatives to fossil fuel energy, such as wind or solar energy.

What is a Hydrocarbon

From my POV, this sez that hydrocarbons come from fossil and decayed plant matter sources. OK, this is the typical narrative from which we get our hydrocarbons but if this is all true, then explain Saturn's largest moon, Titan? Unless we can place dinosaurs and massive plant life on Titan in an earlier time, this seems to suggest that hydrocarbons have more than one means to come into being. It also suggests that hydrocarbons come into being not by organic decaying material but by some other chemical means or process. Are we getting back to an explanation of how oil comes into being that's 60 years old and came from Russian geologists but then this disproves the narrative of peak oil which in turn supports an ever increasing price structure? If oil is so scarce, why do the oil companies in their fiduciary responsibility to stock investors not begin a divesting process out of the oil business and into another business model to sustain the future?

Many questions still remain and I'm not convinced we are getting all the facts either!

jmo

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I love how you all seem to live in a bubble. That bubble is the world of right wing talking points. Lets look at something really strange in the "world" of big oil, shall we? Now, I know that you all that are crying that the sky is falling will probably reject what I am about to say, but at least give it some thought.

Back in November 2011 Chevron Oil operating off the coast of brazil had a leak into the atlantic ocean and attempted to cover it up. Thousands of barrels of oil has seeped into the sea. Investigations have shown that Chevron was unprepared for the spill and further, LIED to investigators. Last month there was another leak at another well into the atlantic ocean.

Today, Chevron is facing fines of 30 billion dollars, lawsuits totaling 28 billion and criminal charges against 17 Chevron executives with sentences ranging from 10 to 31 years in prison.

Now, this spill happened in the 4th quarter of last year, and in the first quarter of this year, OIL prices per barrel SPIKED from 77 dollars a barrel to 110 a barrel. Today, immediately after the 1st quarter ended, prices per barrel are dropping and the price per gallon is dropping.

So then, ask yourself this? "Why hasnt this spill been all over the news?" Why hasnt FOX, CBS, ABC, MSNBC or any other news channel even spoke of this spill, the fines, the lawsuits or the criminal charges against Chevron?

Is it a coincedence that CHEVRON causes two large spills into the sea, gets whopping fine, gets sued and faces a potential loss of 58 billion dollars and in the first quarter immediately following the spill and fines, oil prices per barrel spike to a point where CHEVRON almost makes up the same total in profits as they are losing in Brazil?

Who is really paying for these fines and lawsuits?

How convenient that seeing a potential loss of 58 billion, oil prices per barrel rise to high levels even though there is a GLUT of OIL in the USA and it has to be sold overseas just to get rid of it, and yet Chevron will be able to pay the fines in Brazil without feeling the pinch.

To me its clear that oil prices rose simply to help Chevron out of this pinch. The speculators and oil companies knew the fines were coming, they knew the lawsuits against Chevron were coming, so they built that into the price for the first quarter and YOU ALL PAYED FOR IT.

WE ARE PAYING THE FINES, WE ARE GOING TO PAY FOR THE LAWSUITS, WE ALWAYS PAY, its all figured in. Both BP and Chevron after having to face huge losses simply got some money back by raising prices per barrel during a better economy and each will set new records for profits next week.

Brazil’s oil spill: Chevron ‘tried to make the accident less than it was’ - BlogPost - The Washington Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/b...ficials-criticize-chevron-over-oil-spill.html

Chevron Seriously Underestimates Oil Spill Off Brazilian Coast

Chevron Oil Spill Spurs Lawsuit to Freeze 17% of Brazil's Rigs - Bloomberg

The OIL COMPANIES NEVER LOSE, only the american consumer.

Think about it.

Peace

TOS

4/10/12

wkmac

I think there is a lot more to the oil/gas prices than the price of producing a barrel of oil.

This is true. We've not even discussed the effects of the Iranian embargo on global oil prices and I notice a certain Obama cheerleader here avoided that issue like the plague.

Just to Bush like I guess!:wink2:

But then hypocrisy is by no means a single party issue now is it?
428767_3406527409886_1470933689_3201990_924711666_n.jpg
428767_3406527409886_1470933689_3201990_924711666_n.jpg

UPS Lifer

All of this discussion really boils down to this....

Who are the people who are getting hurt the most by the high gas prices and what will the ripple effect be?

These same people will be going to the polls (if they have enough gas in their cars) in November to cast a vote.

If you don't think those in charge will suffer in November then you are probably drinking gas not pumping it in your tank!

klein

Für Meno :)
By November gas will be $3.00 a gallon again. China and India are already slowing down and have less demand for it.
It is really reflecting our Canadian "petro" dollar recently, and is trading weaker than the US greenback today.
So, once again, the US currency is more worth than ours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By November gas will be $3.00 a gallon again. China and India are already slowing down and have less demand for it.
It is really reflecting our Canadian "petro" dollar recently, and is trading weaker than the US greenback today.
So, once again, the US currency is more worth than ours.

There is no way gas will be $3/gallon by November. It will be at or above $5/gallon by Memorial Day and may be down to around $4-4.50 by Labor Day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is oh about zero chance gas hits $5 by memorial day. Maybe in some ok the highest taxed state but on a whole average no way.

wkmac

There is oh about zero chance gas hits $5 by memorial day. Maybe in some ok the highest taxed state but on a whole average no way.

I agree. Until this latest hike, our prices were starting to drop but then hit the mid $3.80's but now has dropped. $3.79 for regular where I buy. For the moment at least here locally, if it makes $4 by Memorial Day, it won't be by much but then the decisions of geopolitics might have an effect as well.

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree too. I didn't even look at the price of barrell today, just the exchange rate alone tells me it dropped.
Within a week, you'll notice the drop at the pump, too. I'm counting on atleast 5cents per litre, or 17 cents/gallon.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is no way gas will be $3/gallon by November. It will be at or above $5/gallon by Memorial Day and may be down to around $4-4.50 by Labor Day.

Who are you kidding?? The last time gas in California was at 5 bucks a gallon or higher, was during the bush administration. Today, Oil is down again another 2 bucks per barrel (100.50) thats down 10 bucks a barrel since its spike of 110.00 per barrel. California has the highest taxes and fees in the country, and we aint close to getting to 5 bucks a gallon.

As the price per barrel continues to drop, so will the price at the pump. Gas will, once again be near 3 bucks a gallon before the election.

There is Absolutely ZERO reason for the high prices, but if you consider what I posted about Chevrons problem in south america, you can put 2 plus 2 together to get 4.

This spike was well calculated and well planned. Simply spike the price of oil for one quarter and make up potential losses from the previous quarter. Now that money has been recovered and its time to ease the price of oil back to where it should be without a single "additional" drop of oil being pumped out of the ground.

In the next week, oil will be in the high 90's, then the following month, down in the high 80's, then by summer in the high 70's where it belongs. OPEC says so.

70 bucks is where OPEC says the price per barrel should be, and anything higher is the creation of the "marketplace on wall street".

We have been ripped off by the oil companies in order for them to pay their fines and lawsuits and not feel the pain of those penalties. We the people have paid for those fines and lawsuits plain and simple.

Everything else you hear has been nothing more than a distraction from the truth and if you ask yourself WHY you havent heard about this spill or the lasting damage to the coastline of Brazil, or the indictments of 17 top chevron executives or the total amount of fines and lawsuits now reaching 58 billion dollars, then you will know that you have been decieved.

I guarantee that none of you knew about this huge spill or the fines or indictments.

Its all figured in the price of a barrel of oil. That translates into higher prices at the pump to you and I.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Looky looky, Gas prices drop again in good old san clemente! Just as in my neck of the woods, gas is down again 2 cents. Thats 8 cents in 12 days.

Dont count on 5 bucks to save your GOP hopes. It aint happening.

Peace

TOS

menotyou

bella amicizia
Who are you kidding?? The last time gas in California was at 5 bucks a gallon or higher, was during the bush administration. Today, Oil is down again another 2 bucks per barrel (100.50) thats down 10 bucks a barrel since its spike of 110.00 per barrel. California has the highest taxes and fees in the country, and we aint close to getting to 5 bucks a gallon.

As the price per barrel continues to drop, so will the price at the pump. Gas will, once again be near 3 bucks a gallon before the election.

There is Absolutely ZERO reason for the high prices, but if you consider what I posted about Chevrons problem in south america, you can put 2 plus 2 together to get 4.

This spike was well calculated and well planned. Simply spike the price of oil for one quarter and make up potential losses from the previous quarter. Now that money has been recovered and its time to ease the price of oil back to where it should be without a single "additional" drop of oil being pumped out of the ground.

In the next week, oil will be in the high 90's, then the following month, down in the high 80's, then by summer in the high 70's where it belongs. OPEC says so.

70 bucks is where OPEC says the price per barrel should be, and anything higher is the creation of the "marketplace on wall street".

We have been ripped off by the oil companies in order for them to pay their fines and lawsuits and not feel the pain of those penalties. We the people have paid for those fines and lawsuits plain and simple.

Everything else you hear has been nothing more than a distraction from the truth and if you ask yourself WHY you havent heard about this spill or the lasting damage to the coastline of Brazil, or the indictments of 17 top chevron executives or the total amount of fines and lawsuits now reaching 58 billion dollars, then you will know that you have been decieved.

I guarantee that none of you knew about this huge spill or the fines or indictments.

Its all figured in the price of a barrel of oil. That translates into higher prices at the pump to you and I.

Peace

TOS
No, I didn't know about the Chevron oil spill.

It says I have to register to read, but I do know that this is a lot of the problem. We have to refine the oil to use it. What I don't understand is why these oil companies are abandoning the refineries they have. Just like companies that abandon buildings, I don't think they should be allowed to just because of tax breaks somewhere else.