Gas Prices

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama-Gas-Prices.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
Yeah, and the NYSE was at 8000 points, too. Has risen 70% since Obama took office. How is that working out in your profile and retirement plans since then ?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Gas is down 5 cents here again today. $4 seems to be about the price that people really start pushing back on the demand side of things.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am having a hard time feeling sympathy for anyone who chose to buy a full-sized truck, SUV or performance car in the last 5 years and is now struggling to afford gas for it. Gas prices first spiked to $4 a gallon back in '07 and people have had 5 years since then to make better choices about what to drive and how far to commute. My 2006 VW Jetta TDI is a comfortable car with all of the options anyone could want and plenty of power....and I get well over 40MPG on the freeway and upper 30's around town. $4.25 a gallon for diesel? Not a problem for me!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
ORANGE COUNTY still trending lower!!

4.37 a month ago, today its 4.21...thats .16 cents lower in 30 days!

So much for prices going up.

Peace

TOS

rod

Retired 23 years
I am having a hard time feeling sympathy for anyone who chose to buy a full-sized truck, SUV or performance car in the last 5 years and is now struggling to afford gas for it. Gas prices first spiked to $4 a gallon back in '07 and people have had 5 years since then to make better choices about what to drive and how far to commute. My 2006 VW Jetta TDI is a comfortable car with all of the options anyone could want and plenty of power....and I get well over 40MPG on the freeway and upper 30's around town. $4.25 a gallon for diesel? Not a problem for me!

I need a full size 4X4 truck for all my toys and to get around on the lakes in the winter. Other than refusing to buy gas at the one station in town that is always the first to raise their prices and the last to lower them I really don't care what gas costs because there isn't anything I can do about it anyway. Lifes too short to sweat the small stuff. Have you ever tried to pull a good size boat out of a steep boat landing with one of those little 2 wheel drive wannabe trucks?

Only in Quebec! How not to launch your SeaDoo... - YouTube

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Prices at the pump this week were down 4 1/2 Cents. Gas has been on the rise rapidly the past 4 months. Have you considered the domino effect?

All the delivery of goods and the cost of those goods have risen in the past 4 months to cover the gas costs of companies.. Do you think a tiny increment downward is going to send your ground beef prices back down....or your cereal or your milk?

Now comes the summer gasoline price inceases that happen every year. We'll still be over $4 a gallon mid summer here (IMO).

So, go ahead and cheer if you feel happy about this whole gas thing, but I don't think there's anything to cheer about yet.

$4.21 - Valero

wkmac

Prices at the pump this week were down 4 1/2 Cents. Gas has been on the rise rapidly the past 4 months. Have you considered the domino effect?

All the delivery of goods and the cost of those goods have risen in the past 4 months to cover the gas costs of companies.. Do you think a tiny increment downward is going to send your ground beef prices back down....or your cereal or your milk?

Now comes the summer gasoline price inceases that happen every year. We'll still be over $4 a gallon mid summer here (IMO).

So, go ahead and cheer if you feel happy about this whole gas thing, but I don't think there's anything to cheer about yet.

$4.21 - Valero

So as the cost of fuel going up percolates through the economy, this forces up other prices across the board. In turn over time this will pressure wages to go up and as a result more people will move into higher tax brackets or pay more taxes which in turn increases the tax revenues to the Federal gov't among others. This also helps reduce the deficit so inflation although being the most evil friend of the poor and working man is the best friend to gov't and the politican. This hidden tax is the most sinister form of taxation known to man!

island1fox

Yeah, and the NYSE was at 8000 points, too. Has risen 70% since Obama took office. How is that working out in your profile and retirement plans since then ?

Klein,

This happened because the private business environment adjusted down to the shrinking economy. Companies have cut staffing to the bone --and have discovered there were many people they never needed. Therfore profit goes up --also companies make year to year comparisons --good numbers and growth are easy to identify right now.

menotyou

bella amicizia
So as the cost of fuel going up percolates through the economy, this forces up other prices across the board. In turn over time this will pressure wages to go up and as a result more people will move into higher tax brackets or pay more taxes which in turn increases the tax revenues to the Federal gov't among others. This also helps reduce the deficit so inflation although being the most evil friend of the poor and working man is the best friend to gov't and the politican. This hidden tax is the most sinister form of taxation known to man!
But, those higher paying jobs are not appearing. You can get a job at Ruby Tuesday's or The Fairgrounds all day long, but are companies like UPS hiring?

wkmac

But, those higher paying jobs are not appearing. You can get a job at Ruby Tuesday's or The Fairgrounds all day long, but are companies like UPS hiring?

Did not suggest high paying jobs would appear. What it does is put pressure on existing wages to rise. Just look over the most recent wages increases from our own contract in which an additional inflation factor was also added. This inflation pressure on wages unlike gas prices doesn't come overnight but in fact will occur over months and years. In any inflation cycle, prices go up well before wages follow. We're lucky because of a contract but in time this will begin to reach even the smallest employer and they too will have to follow suit. The minimum wage which in truth is nothing but a price support for aggregate demand is already seeing pressure to rise and we'll hear the typical spin from bothsides but in truth, big corp. America is really saying, "Please don't through us in that briar patch!"

Corp. America knows to keep the Walmart profit lines (consumer spending) flowing at the checkout line, this is a necessary action but you'll see the pundits spin cycle come into play and the root problem of a fiat currency and it's inflation will never see the light of day in the public space.

UPS Lifer

I need a full size 4X4 truck for all my toys and to get around on the lakes in the winter. Other than refusing to buy gas at the one station in town that is always the first to raise their prices and the last to lower them I really don't care what gas costs because there isn't anything I can do about it anyway. Lifes too short to sweat the small stuff. Have you ever tried to pull a good size boat out of a steep boat landing with one of those little 2 wheel drive wannabe trucks?
- I was with you until you said "I really don't care what gas costs..." I had part timers who were working to pay for their gas. It may not infringe upon your disposable income but we have to be cognizant of people who are on limited incomes. I remember what it was like to be a young married 20 year old who sold his car because of a $50 car payment to buy a car for cash. It is people like us who need to fight for our fellow Americans who cannot afford big spikes and hits on their modest income.

Again - Some people cannot afford to buy newer cars that get better fuel economy... AND some people (like rod and others) may need full-sized vehicles because of their business or because of their family transportation situation. I remember car promotions that advertised giveaways on full sized vehicles especially trucks if you bought another vehicle. Prices were so low that some on a modest income may have been able to fit a new vehicle into their budget only because of the low price on the gas guzzler.

My newest car is 7 years old and I don't drive a lot but I certainly care about our economy and these prices are inflationary. Why is it so high? The Dems are printing money to pay our debt because they can't reduce spending, and that is causing oil prices to rise on a weak dollar and the same goes for import prices on all goods. Transportation prices are sky rocketing which are absorbed by you guessed it, you and me!