Gas Prices

klein

Für Meno :)
Thanks Obama for adding 163.000 jobs !
Oil went up 5% on that good news, and so did the Canadian dollar, rising over the US greenback again !

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The price of oil jumped five per cent Friday after the government reported a sharp rise in jobs growth for July.
Benchmark U.S. crude rose US$4.27 to $91.40 per barrel in afternoon trading in New York. Brent crude, which sets the price for oil imported into the U.S., climbed $3.08, 2.9 per cent, to $108.98 per barrel in London.

Prices climbed after the government said U.S. employers added 163,000 jobs in July. Last month's hiring was the best since February, though it wasn't enough to drive down the unemployment rate. Prices for oil and gasoline tend to rise on signs of strength in the economy, which increases energy demand.
"There's a lot of optimism following the jobs report," said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Up 13 cents at the pumps since last week !!

Nationally $3.62........we haven't even had a chance to see it at $3.62 here.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We just bought a Prius "C" for my wife to drive. Nice car, quiet, compact yet plenty of leg and head room for me. We got a measured 49MPG on our first tank of fuel, and that was after a trip to the Oregon coast with lots of highway driving and hills which are not where the car is at its best. It actually gets better mileage around town, if you drive it right it is quite capable of getting mid 50's. Gas prices arent something I even pay attention to any more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We just bought a Prius "C" for my wife to drive. Nice car, quiet, compact yet plenty of leg and head room for me. We got a measured 49MPG on our first tank of fuel, and that was after a trip to the Oregon coast with lots of highway driving and hills which are not where the car is at its best. It actually gets better mileage around town, if you drive it right it is quite capable of getting mid 50's. Gas prices arent something I even pay attention to any more.

Is the Prius "C" a "plug in"?

Are you still driving your converted Jetta?

soberups

Is the Prius "C" a "plug in"?

Are you still driving your converted Jetta?

Just sold the Jetta. It had never been "converted", all diesel Jettas up thru the 2006 model year are capable of running straight biodiesel with no modifications. Newer models cannot run straight bio due to the ridiculous emissions standards set in place by the EPA, all post-2007 diesels must have DPF's (diesel particulate filters) and the regen cycle that is needed creates issues with higher blends of bio. European diesels do not face the same restrictions, which is why they can buy cars like the VW Lupo that can get 80MPG on 100% renewable fuel while we cannot. So...we switched over to a hybrid, it actually works better for us because most of my wife's commute is in town where the hybrids are superior to diesels.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Gee, what a coincedence, three refinery fires in less than a month. The latest is in california and gas prices here will spike to over 4 bucks a gallon all over again.

Hmm, where have we seen this pattern before?? OH yeah, during the BUSH administration when OIL was being spiked to over 150 dollars a barrel, there was a refinery fire every quarter for almost all 8 years.

I still believe the goverment should take over the refining business and take this aspect away from the oil industry.

Peace

TOS

soberups

Gee, what a coincedence, three refinery fires in less than a month. The latest is in california and gas prices here will spike to over 4 bucks a gallon all over again.

Hmm, where have we seen this pattern before?? OH yeah, during the BUSH administration when OIL was being spiked to over 150 dollars a barrel, there was a refinery fire every quarter for almost all 8 years.

I still believe the goverment should take over the refining business and take this aspect away from the oil industry.

Peace

TOS

A better approach would be to force the EPA to roll back emissions regulations on the small, hyper-efficient turbo diesels like the VW Lupo (80+MPG on biodiesel) that are available in Europe but not here.

If the regulations were tweaked only slightly, these vehicles would be available here and could be run on 100% renewable, locally produced biodiesel.

The important question to ask.... is why it is that hyper-efficient, biodiesel-compatible vehicles such as these are available everywhere else but not here?

Diesel engines are more efficient at converting energy into motion than gasoline engines are. They last longer, and can use fuels made from waste cooking oil, soybean oil, hemp oil, algae, or any number of renewable sources.

Imagine if we had the ability to wean ourselves off of dependence to Middle East oil by "growing our own" biodiesel fuel in the deserts or other marginal lands using crops such as algae, rapeseed or hemp that require little in the way of potable water or fertilizer. Imagine the jobs that would be created for small landowners in economically depressed regions who could sell their home-made fuel to local buyers.

None of that will ever be possible as long as the EPA imposes unrealistic emissions standards on diesel cars and continues to give Big Oil a virtual monopoly on refined gasoline as our only choice for vehicle fuel.

klein

Don't you already have a problem with the corn crop this year and much higher ethenol prices coming ?
Just imagine this draught 10 times worse, if all bio fuel crops that fueled most US cars would be gone for a year !
And how much in subsidies would need to be paid out ?

Personally, I think farmland should be used for human food, and some for the animals (pigs, cows, goats, horses, etc).
But, it's ok if you want the US to stop exporting farm goods and use them as your fuel instead.
Just expect higher food prices.

Canada has enough farmland to export the difference and make it rich.

soberups

Don't you already have a problem with the corn crop this year and much higher ethenol prices coming ?
Just imagine this draught 10 times worse, if all bio fuel crops that fueled most US cars would be gone for a year !
And how much in subsidies would need to be paid out ?

Personally, I think farmland should be used for human food, and some for the animals (pigs, cows, goats, horses, etc).
But, it's ok if you want the US to stop exporting farm goods and use them as your fuel instead.
Just expect higher food prices.

Canada has enough farmland to export the difference and make it rich.

I was talking about biodiesel, not ethanol. Ethanol is a gasoline additive/ extender. Manufacturing it from corn is stupid. Biodiesel can be made from any number of crops that grow well on land that is unsuitable for foid agriculture.

klein

I was talking about biodiesel, not ethanol. Ethanol is a gasoline additive/ extender. Manufacturing it from corn is stupid. Biodiesel can be made from any number of crops that grow well on land that is unsuitable for foid agriculture.

And what kind of land would that be ? Death Valley ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Don't even go there - proved to you last time we grow bananas !
Well I went there. Did I mention bananas?

Avacados can't flower in Canada because of the cold, so if you want the fruit, you will still have to get it at Safeway.....and 96% of them are grown in Southern California........60% of those in San Diego County. Nearby Fallbrook is the Avacado capital of the world!!

No, Canada cannot grow the avacado (fruit)........I went there!!!

klein

Well I went there. Did I mention bananas?

Avacados can't flower in Canada because of the cold, so if you want the fruit, you will still have to get it at Safeway.....and 96% of them are grown in Southern California........60% of those in San Diego County. Nearby Fallbrook is the Avacado capital of the world!!

No, Canada cannot grow the avacado (fruit)........I went there!!!

Works both ways, anyways. I worked for Safeway.
Trucks come in from Cali with fruit and veggies that currently don't grow here - and go fully loaded back with produce from Alberta.
We have a record corn crop this year - I bet you'll be eating Alberta grown corn soon.

Safeway aso has veggie plants here - where they either can or freeze the veggies, such as corn, carrots, green beans, etc.
That mostly gets shipped back to Calif., too.
Check your frozen veggie Safway package - made in Canada, or Canada grown. Comes actually right here from Alberta.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You'd lose that bet....We only eat the early sweet white corn from the Coachella Valley...........best in the world and when it's done, I'm done with fresh corn 'til the next year.

In that long rambling paragraph,where does it say that Canada grows avacados???

klein

No avacados here - but I have never eaten 1 either, even though they were falling from the trees in Florida.

You need to try Safeway corn soon (it'll likely be Taber corn - Canada's best corn) Safeway leases land in Taber and gets it's supplies from there. If it's grown in Canada it will be Taber corn ! :)

It is so good, that sellers even tend to counterfeit it !

Edmontonians are up to their ears in counterfeit corn

Taber is the Corn Capital of Canada. What makes Taber corn so good? The Town of Taber is in a region that has more days of bright sunshine than anywhere else in Canada, which results in corn that is “five times sweeter than regular corn-on-the-cob”, according to Canadabadlands.com. Why wouldn’t you want to try the sweetest corn there is?

images
images
taber-corn.jpg

And no way in hell would I want that superb corn used for fuel or even for animal feed !