Global warming

oldngray

nowhere special
If you want to say skeptics are confusing weather with climate you need to remember the climate change proponents also use short term change and try to say it is long enough time period to qualify as geologic change. Sorry, but nope. And I agree with Hoax. Even if climate is changing there is no proof of cause and effect as to whether it is man made change.

MAKAVELI

Banned
If you want to say skeptics are confusing weather with climate you need to remember the climate change proponents also use short term change and try to say it is long enough time period to qualify as geologic change. Sorry, but nope. And I agree with Hoax. Even if climate is changing there is no proof of cause and effect as to whether it is man made change.
And I'm sure a hundred years ago no one thought tobacco causes cancer. As time goes on the science provides the proof of climate change affected by human activity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And I'm sure a hundred years ago no one thought tobacco causes cancer. As time goes on the science provides the proof of climate change affected by human activity.

I think almost all people accept the premise of "Affected" by.
It is the "Caused" by that everyone disagrees on.

island1fox

last year..... so what does that have to do with CLIMATE change.
Maybe we should start a new thread where people discuss the WEATHER.

ditto.

You always "claim" you are not Liberal.

A committed liberal tos brings up the polar caps first --no comment from you ---I respond to tos on polar caps --and you ask me what polar caps have to do with climate change ????

Stop drinking the kool aid or --just come out of the closet !! Now that IS sad !!!:happy-very:
No change that --it is just funny !!!!

MAKAVELI

Banned
I think almost all people accept the premise of "Affected" by.
It is the "Caused" by that everyone disagrees on.
Not everyone accepts the premise. Some people want to ignore the science. It's pretty simple, the more greenhouse gases pumped into the atmosphere the more heat is retained. Not that hard to understand. Any sixth grader can make a science project to illustrate that fact.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not everyone accepts the premise. Some people want to ignore the science. It's pretty simple, the more greenhouse gases pumped into the atmosphere the more heat is retained. Not that hard to understand. Any sixth grader can make a science project to illustrate that fact.
I'll take your word, I've never met or heard anyone that thinks man cannot or does not affect global climate.
Maybe it's semantics.

Remember, "A hummingbird at the equator can cause a hurricane in Florida." <sic>

oldngray

nowhere special
Prove that greenhouse gases because of man is what is causing climate change. There are other sources of greenhouse gases and their effect on climate change may be negligible. If there is climate change it may be as a result of reasons other than man's influence.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yea I guess it is semantics.
Cause -
a. The producer of an effect, result, or consequence.
b. The one, such as a person, event, or condition, that is responsible for an action or result.

Affect -
1. To have an influence on or effect a change in

To me these two words have similar but definitely different meanings.

Cause means something is the primary, if not singular, reason for an action or result.
Affect means a contributing influence to an action or result.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Cause -
a. The producer of an effect, result, or consequence.
b. The one, such as a person, event, or condition, that is responsible for an action or result.

Affect -
1. To have an influence on or effect a change in

To me these two words have similar but definitely different meanings.

Cause means something is the primary, if not singular, reason for an action or result.
Affect means a contributing influence to an action or result.
Yes they do have different meanings. But greenhouse gases produced by human activity is "causing" climate to change at a much faster pace.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes they do have different meanings. But greenhouse gases produced by human activity is "causing" climate to change at a much faster pace.
And that is the TRILLION dollar question.

There is nothing but theories to back up that assertion and there are just as many theories that indicate that man may have an affect but no singular or primary causative factor.

Almost all scientists weighing in on this have a political connection - on both sides.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
ditto.

You always "claim" you are not Liberal.

A committed liberal tos brings up the polar caps first --no comment from you ---I respond to tos on polar caps --and you ask me what polar caps have to do with climate change ????

Stop drinking the kool aid or --just come out of the closet !! Now that IS sad !!!:happy-very:
No change that --it is just funny !!!!
I can see how an extremist conservative republican would see me as a liberal.

What I said was what does last year's data about the ice caps have to do with climate change. You can't just point to one year and say the climate is or isn't changing. People on both sides of the argument try and do that and they just look silly to me.

island1fox

I can see how an extremist conservative republican would see me as a liberal.

What I said was what does last year's data about the ice caps have to do with climate change. You can't just point to one year and say the climate is or isn't changing. People on both sides of the argument try and do that and they just look silly to me.

dido,

Look in the mirror --you will not see a "middle of the road person"

Wow you will look silly speaking of a 29% increase in the polar cap in one year.

How many years do you think anyone has reliable measurement information ??

Almost all "experts " agree --since the late seventies with satellite measurement.

40 to 50 years melting or growing ---WHO KNOWS ?????

A blink in time. If you and tos can speak of melting in 40 years --I can speak of freezing in the same small time period.-simple enough.

Lets see what we have in 100 yrs----500 yrs----1000 yrs --0ne million yrs ----NO -ONE KNOWS !!!!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
dido,

Look in the mirror --you will not see a "middle of the road person"

Wow you will look silly speaking of a 29% increase in the polar cap in one year.

How many years do you think anyone has reliable measurement information ??

Almost all "experts " agree --since the late seventies with satellite measurement.

40 to 50 years melting or growing ---WHO KNOWS ?????

A blink in time. If you and tos can speak of melting in 40 years --I can speak of freezing in the same small time period.-simple enough.

Lets see what we have in 100 yrs----500 yrs----1000 yrs --0ne million yrs ----NO -ONE KNOWS !!!!
If by not middle of the road you mean not in between republican and democrat then you are correct.

It's not me and TOS speaking of melting, it's YOU and TOS speaking of melting ice caps.
I suggested against it.