Got hurt due to leaky package..

F

Frankie's Friend

1000% file the injury first. Ask for copies of all documents...

...than try to understand your pains throughout the weeks. Ice and antiinflammatories will help. But I had a small pain in my knee that I thought was a simple sprain, It ended up being a meniscus tear.

Always always always file. UPS will screw you if you don't.
Yep get an MRI and settle the damage question.
ACL, meniscus tears, all of the above promote swelling.
You don't need to "lawyer up".
Another dumb post.
Dude, listen...
A workers comp lawyer keeps the company obeying the rules and if there's damage that requires treatment then in a year after treatment the company will owe you a percentage prorated amount of money for the damage to your body on the job.

Don't listen to the upstate (pro-company) parrot.

The company will forget about your "help" in not reporting the injury in short time.
Don't be fooled. We've been there and seen this unfold numerous times.
Report it. Have it checked out on the company's dime and call a WC atty.

Wit Cho Yo Goofass

You need to try an evaluate how bad it really is. I know that sounds bad but we all get bumps and bruises and you can sometimes tell when it's a tweak or more serious. UPS is going to do everything in it's powers to not get you to file because they don't want an injury. The good thing is they at least know about it now which you could always use to your advantage. Only problem is if there really is something wrong and yo don't file then you have the headache of trying to prove it was really a work related injury.
Yep they want to do all they can to not pay out of their pockets. If you’re lucky you will be on light work. But they frown upon that too. You are going to be discussed in the next safety meeting and how the terminal can go forward in avoiding an incident like that again.

bumped

Go to your own doctor. Call in saying your knee still hurts and you are going to the doctor. UPS will send someone to your appointment. They will try to be in the room with you, but you don't have to let them if you don't want to.

F

Frankie's Friend

Yep they want to do all they can to not pay out of their pockets. If you’re lucky you will be on light work. But they frown upon that too. You are going to be discussed in the next safety meeting and how the terminal can go forward in avoiding an incident like that again.
That is a violation of federal law. No one is allowed to discuss another named person's injury without his/her consent.

The company does it all the time but it is illegal.

F

Frankie's Friend

Go to your own doctor. Call in saying your knee still hurts and you are going to the doctor. UPS will send someone to your appointment. They will try to be in the room with you, but you don't have to let them if you don't want to.
The CBA and federal law prohibits anyone from being present in your examination room without your written consent.

Wit Cho Yo Goofass

That is a violation of federal law. No one is allowed to discuss another named person's injury without his/her consent.

No of course the person isn’t but the situation is. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. As far as I know that employee’s name isn’t known. But as far as that last part... well you know what company this is... no surprise on that bit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Discussing the specifics of the injury and subsequent treatment plan would be a direct violation of the injured's HIPPA rights; however, using this info as the basis of a injury prevention presentation is an ideal way to bring awareness to this situation and hopefully prevent a repeat injury in the future.

In our center, if we are involved in an accident or are injured, we are asked to give a brief explanation of what happened and what we could have done differently, if anything, to have prevented it.

You should take care to avoid hurting yourself the next time you decide to hide behind the contract.

F

Frankie's Friend

This is true; however, it does not prohibit a member of mgt either driving you or accompanying you to the ER and waiting while you are being evaluated/treated.
If you are on the clock and want treatment you have a choice. Call the boss or call an ambulance.

If you're off the clock you do not have to call anyone.

F

Frankie's Friend

Discussing the specifics of the injury and subsequent treatment plan would be a direct violation of the injured's HIPPA rights; however, using this info as the basis of a injury prevention presentation is an ideal way to bring awareness to this situation and hopefully prevent a repeat injury in the future.

In our center, if we are involved in an accident or are injured, we are asked to give a brief explanation of what happened and what we could have done differently, if anything, to have prevented it.

You should take care to avoid hurting yourself the next time you decide to hide behind the contract.
You're stupid.
Accidents and injuries are different issues einstein.
We are not required to give a statement on any accident or injury to anyone outside of management.
That is harassment.
No one is hiding behind any CBA when they say "I'm not comfortable in talking about the accident to anyone but my direct management team".

There is such a thing as respecting others and you'll play heck digesting that as cocky as you are at your old age.

An injury is off limits for being forced to have a discussion with your coworkers. End of story.

You make up your own (unlawful and disrespectful) rules. It does not and will not change reality.

Funny that even your management didn't want you as management. You are a liability and when your x-rays were discussed at the safety meeting and then during the pcm they actually showed that your spine was missing. Why would you allow them to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

No of course the person isn’t but the situation is. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. As far as I know that employee’s name isn’t known. But as far as that last part... well you know what company this is... no surprise on that bit.
The staffing sheet and word of mouth will pinpoint who the affected employee is.

If there's a problem with how the injury occurred the union can deal with it on paper. Of course, it's always the hourly's fault.

We owe nothing to anyone except to work safety for our own health and family. The personal info is no one else's business unless there's a contract violation that caused the accident/injury and those have remedies that are supported by your dues.

F

Frankie's Friend

20180429_095044.jpg

Tony Q

Sprained my knee it seems, they're using the safety guy to coerce me into some how not filing for workers comp. What are my options? I have a second job and they said if I'm on disability here im not going to be able to work there either. I can not afford to have a stoppage in my income. Should I ice up and come back in Monday? Do management look out for guys like me that don't put pen to paper?
Sprained my knee it seems, they're using the safety guy to coerce me into some how not filing for workers comp. What are my options? I have a second job and they said if I'm on disability here im not going to be able to work there either. I can not afford to have a stoppage in my income. Should I ice up and come back in Monday? Do management look out for guys like me that don't put pen to paper?
Calling OSHA is something that always gets a memorable outcome that get people talking. Plus you get whistle blower protections. I liken it to walking into a room and punching the biggest guy in the nose.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Calling OSHA is something that always gets a memorable outcome that get people talking. Plus you get whistle blower protections. I liken it to walking into a room and punching the biggest guy in the nose.

I could understand calling OSHA if this injury were part of a trend but not if it were an isolated incident at an otherwise squeaky clean operation.

Tony Q

I could understand calling OSHA if this injury were part of a trend but not if it were an isolated incident at an otherwise squeaky clean operation.
When the Teamsters started the current language in article 18 in the late cities it was partly for what the OP described in his original post. Obviously UPS forgot the history of why the CHSP was started just 20 plus years ago.

km3

Is there such a thing as a squeaky clean operation at UPS? You could literally stand anywhere in my building, turn around 360°, and find AT LEAST one OSHA violation. We failed two Keter audits just last year...

If your hurt, your hurt. If the safety guy is trying to coerce you into not filing then you should inform your union. The union has a right to approve the cochairs
Union? Union can’t do anything. Contact the state. The state can take away the company’s self insurance status.