Got hurt due to leaky package..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Is there such a thing as a squeaky clean operation at UPS? You could literally stand anywhere in my building, turn around 360°, and find AT LEAST one OSHA violation. We failed two Keter audits just last year...
I work in what is said to be the worst hub in the U.S. concerning safety and injuries and it's not good. There are many times I see people on sort aisles trapped in feet in boxes and unable to move freely. There is also the possibility of falling packages that can strike you. I walk away and refuse to work unsafely, if there is no egress and escape path, since it's dangerous and unnecessary as well as illegal. A 60 pound package is falling from above and you cannot move to avoid it, is not a good position to be in.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Union? Union can’t do anything. Contact the state. The state can take away the company’s self insurance status.
Always been a norm here in 251 that we contact the free union lawyer for comp. judge always sides with the worker when UPS holds out. UPS tries to starve you back to work.

I would CONSULT a lawyer first. A workers comp lawyer usually has a free consultation. I saw one a few years ago. Their fees seemed fairly steep. I wanna say 35% of your comp payments and 25% of a final settlement / any lifetime payments.

Always been a norm here in 251 that we contact the free union lawyer for comp. judge always sides with the worker when UPS holds out. UPS tries to starve you back to work.
You tend to get what you pay for. Attorneys in the legal services pool don’t tend to be the very best attorneys.

F

Frankie's Friend

I would CONSULT a lawyer first. A workers comp lawyer usually has a free consultation. I saw one a few years ago. Their fees seemed fairly steep. I wanna say 35% of your comp payments and 25% of a final settlement / any lifetime payments.
Nah dude, they only get 33.3% of the final ("award") payment when you're done with treatment here. Maybe state laws are different but typically they only get a third of the final lump sum award.

F

Frankie's Friend

You tend to get what you pay for. Attorneys in the legal services pool don’t tend to be the very best attorneys.
We have a really great one. He cleans house.
They rarely end up in court by percentage.

F

Frankie's Friend

I work in what is said to be the worst hub in the U.S. concerning safety and injuries and it's not good. There are many times I see people on sort aisles trapped in feet in boxes and unable to move freely. There is also the possibility of falling packages that can strike you. I walk away and refuse to work unsafely, if there is no egress and escape path, since it's dangerous and unnecessary as well as illegal. A 60 pound package is falling from above and you cannot move to avoid it, is not a good position to be in.
Why hasn't someone written the letter to osha to get this fixed?
Write the letter, send pictures with it. Make sure you sign it and give your phone number for a return call.
It won't get fixed if it's a long standing problem until someone deals with the problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nah dude, they only get 33.3% of the final ("award") payment when you're done with treatment here. Maybe state laws are different but typically they only get a third of the final lump sum award.

Comp does not always result in a disability rating and/or final lump sum award. The majority of comp cases are such that your medical bills are covered and you receive a weekly stipend based upon your state laws.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why hasn't someone written the letter to osha to get this fixed?
Write the letter, send pictures with it. Make sure you sign it and give your phone number for a return call.
It won't get fixed if it's a long standing problem until someone deals with the problem.
I was told by a union steward not to bypass the grievance procedure. Also, taking pictures will get you walked out.

F

Frankie's Friend

You should definitely follow the chain of command unless it is an issue of safety.
20180429_095044.jpg

F

Frankie's Friend

Comp does not always result in a disability rating and/or final lump sum award. The majority of comp cases are such that your medical bills are covered and you receive a weekly stipend based upon your state laws.
Nope you're wrong again.
Every injury has a percentage pt rating. The lump sum payout award is factored off of that. TTKU