Ground volume finally moving back to Express.

floridays

It's called a recession. A capitalist, free market supply and demand economic system has one major flaw. Growth does not go on indefinitely . Markets go up. Markets go down. And current market activity centers on growing expectation that there will be a major slow down if not an out an out recession. When there is a recession in an economy that is 70% consumer spending trucking usually feels it first and hardest when consumer spending cools.
Growth does continue until an anti-growth party and their policies are inacted.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Honestly don't know but they are slowing down the service expectations across the board and trying to cut costs, they pay fedex billions a year to move that stuff. Amazon could low ball fedex for the contract to tighten the screws on fedex.
The USPS gets a good price on that freight because it goes on existing flights. It's conceivable that AMZ could launch additional flights just to take that volume, but good grief that would make no sense financially.

floridays

The USPS gets a good price on that freight because it goes on existing flights. It's conceivable that AMZ could launch additional flights just to take that volume, but good grief that would make no sense financially.
I guess I need a defination of what you refer to by "that freight", if you are referring to USPS freight, that is the precise reason dayside operations were added. That is my understanding.

If my understanding is incorrect set me straight.

It will be fine

Amazon still uses usps for a lot of final mile, Sundays and rural areas. I could see them making a deal that would lose on flights but make up for it in final mile pricing.

bacha29

Growth does continue until an anti-growth party and their policies are inacted.
Anti growth party huh? Well, lets see, Grant 1873, Hoover 1929, Nixon 1973, Ford 1976, Big Bush 1992, Little Bush 2008., Trump 2020. So when it comes to recessions they seemed to have little regard as to who was living in the White House at the time.

purplelife

True, but Amazon kind of does its own thing.

Plus, initially that volume was on existing flights but now when you look at a single market with multiple flights there could easily be flights cut if no usps.
P2 at night gets rolled to morning flight because of mail then inbound on the pm is a good deal usps. The ball just keeps rolling, I have always been told usps will bump other freight because they are our biggest customer.

yadig

Anti growth party huh? Well, lets see, Grant 1873, Hoover 1929, Nixon 1973, Ford 1976, Big Bush 1992, Little Bush 2008., Trump 2020. So when it comes to recessions they seemed to have little regard as to who was living in the White House at the time.
Thank you joe

Bald1der

We were told this morning that our station will be getting all of our commercial 4z freight back from Ground and as well as some residential, and that Express is pulling "180,000" 4z pkgs per day back into our network.

Aquaman

Add in the fact the usps contract is up in 2 years and nothing has been discussed and usps trying to cut costs and slow service so if fedex loses that, oh man, big changes.
If Express loses the postal contract many many people will be laid off. This company likes to brag it doesn’t lay people off. Well it’ll happen if USPS goes away. They’re by FAR our biggest customer. Nothing is more important to this company than that contract.

Gone fishin

If Express loses the postal contract many many people will be laid off. This company likes to brag it doesn’t lay people off. Well it’ll happen if USPS goes away. They’re by FAR our biggest customer. Nothing is more important to this company than that contract.
Never happen , Fred is way too close to the good ole boys

El Morado Diablo

Our district was making plans to permanently cancel our feeder flights after Memorial Day. All of our zips are moving to PM/RM and we were going to do morning pups so we could put the outbound on the truck back to the ramp. A week later they decided to keep our outbound flight because they realized it wasn't allowed by our contract with USPS (probably the morning pup).

As high up as this decision went you would have thought they would have realized this before we told all of our shippers we were moving to morning pups. Pissed off shippers calling Sales, then Sales calling management because they didn't know anything about the upcoming operational changes. Total clusterf___k.

MAKAVELI

Those Georgia trucks are doing what is called “contingency”. And the company spends crazy amounts of money on it. You’d think they’d just make decent contracts to begin with. I’m not sure what they’re aiming for, but in this employment market they’re going going to have a mess.

Maybe they’re betting on a recession.
One thing I've learned about FedEx is they have no problem of spending big $ to keep control.

Serf

Interesting. In SRA I get 85 P2 a day. Sometimes more. In E star I get 75 stops total. Let’s see what happens.

Basement Dweller

I'm at the express hub at Indy and my sorts just quadrupled in volume. Just in time for another massive staff shortage.

If Fedex loses usps the company is done, or at least my job is. Postal is 40% of our volume.

Star B

White Lightening
Interesting. In SRA I get 85 P2 a day. Sometimes more. In E star I get 75 stops total. Let’s see what happens.
Without seeing your stations E* plan, nobody can tell you why this is. It's probably making other drivers busy with your old P2.

E*s priorities seem to be to make service and make people busy even if the busy work is inefficient

bacha29

Is the Biden administration a failure or not?
Just asking so we can judge the state of your grasp on reality.
Do you know nothing? Nothing at all? Given that you refuse to pay a single cent of money for information it's clear that you don't The success or failure of any administration is never fully determined until the full effect of it's policies are clearly known in later years and most often decades The cause and effect of Nixon's price controls almost 50 years ago are being revisited Johnson/Vietnam and the War Powers Act as it pertains to the new European war is being revisited. Biden's military support for Ukraine is being compared to Roosevelt's Lend Lease. And even if the Russian's are chased out Ukraine will be in shambles which will without question renew calls for something similar to Truman's Marshall Plan along with a new approach to the new Cold War emerging in Europe which will again invite new comparisons to the old Cold War and the lessons lessons learned from it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Do you know nothing? Nothing at all? Given that you refuse to pay a single cent of money for information it's clear that you don't The success or failure of any administration is never fully determined until the full effect of it's policies are clearly known in later years and most often decades The cause and effect of Nixon's price controls almost 50 years ago are being revisited Johnson/Vietnam and the War Powers Act as it pertains to the new European war is being revisited. Biden's military support for Ukraine is being compared to Roosevelt's Lend Lease. And even if the Russian's are chased out Ukraine will be in shambles which will without question renew calls for something similar to Truman's Marshall Plan along with a new approach to the new Cold War emerging in Europe which will again invite new comparisons to the old Cold War and the lessons lessons learned from it.
You didn't answer the question little lady.