Gun Control Advocate-Actor Alec Baldwin Shoots Two People, Killing One

wilberforce15

No it’s not that simple when it happens on set with a “prop” gun.
I don’t have all the facts, so I can’t say if the man deserves to go to prison. But if a company hands an actor a gun they cleared as safe for the scene and he ends up busting a live round in someone that is the companies fault, that is the prop guy’s fault. It’s a mitigating factor.

Now if he was just goofing around with the gun off scene twirling it or being a dumb :censored2: before it was cleared for the set then yes the guy absolutely deserves a bit of prison time for taking someone’s mother out of this world in a negligent manner.
It's not cleared as safe until HE clears it as safe. You are responsible for what is in your hands. All the time. Every time. There is no mitigating factor.

If you're holding it, it's yours.

wilberforce15

When there's a kid involved the common practice is to reach a monetary settlement that will go to take care of the kid based on the parent's future earnings. I think there will be something along those lines with regard to this incident as well.

As far as criminal charges are concerned....get back to me on that one....right after you've passed the California bar exam.
I'm talking about what should be the case, not what is the case. I know that people aren't held responsible when they should be.

bacha29

I'm talking about what should be the case, not what is the case. I know that people aren't held responsible when they should be.
I see. Another self appointed criminal prosecutor with a high school diploma and a concealed carry permit.
That certainly should be good enough to get you elected California State Attorney General. At which time you can bring all the charges against Alec Baldwin you wish to pursue.

wilberforce15

I see. Another self appointed criminal prosecutor with a high school diploma and a concealed carry permit.
That certainly should be good enough to get you elected California State Attorney General. At which time you can bring all the charges against Alec Baldwin you wish to pursue.
I already said I recognize taht people who are responsible for an evil are often not held legally accountable.

I'm speaking to what should be the case, not what is the case.

You are responsible for all outcomes of the weapon in your hand or possession. I want to prosecute Cheney, and Baldwin, and the dad of the dead 5 year old who found a gun.

El Correcto

god is dead
It's not cleared as safe until HE clears it as safe. You are responsible for what is in your hands. All the time. Every time. There is no mitigating factor.

If you're holding it, it's yours.
It’s not when a company hands you a prop they have had someone prepare for you and tell you it’s a prop for a scene and they tell you what to do with it. It’s called mitigating factors. Someone else would be responsible for preparing that prop and putting live rounds in it.

I get what you are saying and I agree with it personally, but at the end of the day all the safety training of the actors, preparation of the prop and the negligent discharge land in the company’s lap when it comes to the law or maybe even whoever loaded that gun with real bullets if they can prove intent to do so.

wilberforce15

It’s not when a company hands you a prop they have had someone prepare for you and tell you it’s a prop for a scene and they tell you what to do with it. It’s called mitigating factors. Someone else would be responsible for preparing that prop and putting live rounds in it.

I get what you are saying and I agree with it personally, but at the end of the day all the safety training of the actors, preparation of the prop and the negligent discharge land in the company’s lap when it comes to the law or maybe even whoever loaded that gun with real bullets if they can prove intent to do so.
It doesn't matter who hands you a weapon. It doesn't matter who tells you it's safe. It doesn't matter what they say they put in it.

It doesn't matter if it's a movie. It doesn't matter if it's a play.

It doesn't matter.

It is YOUR job to handle the weapon safely. Period.

Every gun control argument is now out the window after this. And that's a good thing. If I want to buy lethal weapons I'm going to do it legally or not because I can competently handle them. This joker couldn't and now someone is dead. Maybe his next trigger pull should be into his skull.

wilberforce15

If the President of the United States (pretend we have one without Alzheimer's) tells the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to hand me a rifle so that Steven Spielberg can shoot a scene in a future Oscar-winning movie, and they all tell me in unison, "It's safe. Shoot the scene."

My job is to check the chamber.

El Correcto

god is dead
It is YOUR job to handle the weapon safely. Period.
No it’s actually the guy who is being paid to prepare the props job. Your job as an actor is to act in the scene and handle it how the company needs you to handle it and however they have trained you to handle it.

Like I said I’m up to hear why the actor should be put in prison over this. But hurrr shutter he had gun in his hand and shot someone isn’t enough with the amount of mitigating factors involved in something like this. This is a rare case I actually think the person who had a negligent discharged that ended in death should walk.

wilberforce15

No it’s actually the guy who is being paid to prepare the props job. Your job as an actor is to act in the scene and handle it how the company needs you to handle it and however they have trained you to handle it.

Like I said I’m up to hear why the actor should be put in prison over this. But hurrr shutter he had gun in his hand and shot someone isn’t enough with the amount of mitigating factors involved in something like this. This is a rare case I actually think the person who had a negligent discharged that ended in death should walk.
You are handling the weapon. It is YOUR job.

wilberforce15

Neat story, but that’s not how the law sees it son.
Find a single lawyer that agrees with you, I’d like to hear his legal argument.

I’m willing to hear why it’s the actor’s fault but this is just silly.
For about the 37th time, I'm not talking about what is the case. I'm talking about what should be the case.

And Baldwin and Cheney and the dad of a dead 5 year old who found a gun should be prosecuted.

I know that they regularly aren't.

They should be.

El Correcto

god is dead
For about the 37th time, I'm not talking about what is the case. I'm talking about what should be the case.

And Baldwin and Cheney and the dad of a dead 5 year old who found a gun should be prosecuted.

I know that they regularly aren't.

They should be.
Cheney was hunting with live ammo, dad was negligent leaving a loaded gun around a kid, actor was just doing his job after being handed a prop apparently. I mean I’m willing to hear what the actor did wrong, what he wasn’t trained to do before handling guns, etc.

But this one is clearly different from the other two.

wilberforce15

Cheney was hunting with live ammo, dad was negligent leaving a loaded gun around a kid, actor was just doing his job after being handed a prop apparently. I mean I’m willing to hear what the actor did wrong, what he wasn’t trained to do before handling guns, etc.

But this one is clearly different from the other two.
What did cheney do wrong? He shot someone when proper precautions would have prevented it.
What did the dad do wrong? He let a kid shoot someone when proper precautions would have prevented it.
What did the actor do wrong? He shot someone when proper, basic precautions would have prevented it.

This isn't rocket science. This isn't astrophysics. This isn't nuclear chemistry.

How on earth do you not shoot someone? You do it by not shooting people. It's EASY not to shoot people.

wilberforce15

Somehow, i've had loaded weapons on my person, in my presence, and in my household, for a few decades now and have had 0 incidents.

Am I some sort of secret genius? Or do I just follow very few rules?

vantexan

That's true. Former California State Attorney General Kamala Harris certainly proves daily it doesn't take much to be California AG although I've heard in her case it involved a lot of screwing.

El Correcto

god is dead
Prison ain’t a joke. Baldwin shouldn’t do time imo.

I can’t stand the guy, but it’s hard for me to wish prison time on anyone if they don’t truly deserve that :censored2:.