guns

bbsam

Staff member
So since they have that power, even the mention of mental instability should trigger such exercise of that power? Where is the line and how often will the line move?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If these civilians are going to be defenders of the public, then when something does go horribly wrong (and it will) do you propose they get some kind of free pass? What is their responsibility for action or even inaction?

What I am proposing is a comprehensive system for protecting our schools that includes cameras, alarms, automatic locking doors, designated secure "safe rooms" with first-aid supplies and, as a last resort, teachers who have been trained and equippped to use lethal force only when all other precautions have failed.

Imagine a system whereby the office can automatically lock and secure the door to each classroom from the outside with a remote "panic button". Children could be trained in drills to take cover under their desks. An armed teacher remaining in the room could take cover behind his/her own desk with a weapon trained at the door, to be used only as a last resort in the event that an armed gunman was able to breach that door. Covering a door gives you a huge tactical advantage because you can fire from concealement and you know where the bad guy will be whereas he cannot see where you are and is momentarily shillouetted in the door and unable to deploy his own weapon effectively.

Im not talking about teachers roaming the halls, strapped up with hardware like Rambo. I'm talking about teachers taking cover with their students behind fortified, locked doors and remaining there until help arrives. Im talking about trained and certified teachers being given the tools they need to protect our children.

Teachers arent trained firefighters....yet on the wall of every school we see fire extinguishers and hoses. Teachers arent trained medics....yet in most schools today we see automatic defibrullators. We provide school staff with this lifesaving equipment in case it must be used in the minutes before professional emergency responders can arrive...so why not take it further and provide trained and certifed school staff with the lifesaving equipment they may need in case an armed lunatic shows up?

bbsam

Staff member
What I am proposing is a comprehensive system for protecting our schools that includes cameras, alarms, automatic locking doors, designated secure "safe rooms" with first-aid supplies and, as a last resort, teachers who have been trained and equippped to use lethal force only when all other precautions have failed.

Imagine a system whereby the office can automatically lock and secure the door to each classroom from the outside with a remote "panic button". Children could be trained in drills to take cover under their desks. An armed teacher remaining in the room could take cover behind his/her own desk with a weapon trained at the door, to be used only as a last resort in the event that an armed gunman was able to breach that door. Covering a door gives you a huge tactical advantage because you can fire from concealement and you know where the bad guy will be whereas he cannot see where you are and is momentarily shillouetted in the door and unable to deploy his own weapon effectively.

Im not talking about teachers roaming the halls, strapped up with hardware like Rambo. I'm talking about teachers taking cover with their students behind fortified, locked doors and remaining there until help arrives. Im talking about trained and certified teachers being given the tools they need to protect our children.

Teachers arent trained firefighters....yet on the wall of every school we see fire extinguishers and hoses. Teachers arent trained medics....yet in most schools today we see automatic defibrullators. We provide school staff with this lifesaving equipment in case it must be used in the minutes before professional emergency responders can arrive...so why not take it further and provide trained and certifed school staff with the lifesaving equipment they may need in case an armed lunatic shows up?

Why not just employ police officers at each school for that? Or trained military professionals returning from overseas?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Trained military with PTSD ???? Really???

So many come back with this dis-order......I would rather see them at the border.

bbsam

Staff member
Trained military with PTSD ???? Really???

So many come back with this dis-order......I would rather see them at the border.

Right. The military is not trained and responsible enough to carry an M-16 in America, but Bubba is and so is Miss Anderson, the Home Economics teacher.

over9five

Staff member
Right. The military is not trained and responsible enough to carry an M-16 in America, but Bubba is and so is Miss Anderson, the Home Economics teacher.
I didn't see anyone suggest that teachers carry M-16s. I think we were talking about handguns.
It is also a misconception to think police officers are somehow better than you or me. They're just people, same as us. Some of us are, and anyone can become, just as good with a gun as them.

brett636

So since they have that power, even the mention of mental instability should trigger such exercise of that power? Where is the line and how often will the line move?

That is my concern with nearly every government expansion, tax increase, and spending initiative. Where will the line be drawn and when will that line be crossed(as you know it will be)? Eventually the mere desire to own a firearm could be determined to be a mental instability thereby denying 2nd amendment rights to everyone. Just look at the arguments used on here by roadrunner and TOS, both make it seem like gun owners are maniacs chomping at the bit to pump some innocent person full of lead for their amusement when nothing could be further from the truth.

I do find it interesting though that you are trying to play both sides of the coin in this argument when we both know you are fully anti-gun.

bbsam

Staff member
This statement.... is the​ most overused statement and misconception by the general public.
even beyond, "Don't trust the government" even though people put their trust in the government everyday? Or are you just using hyperbole because nuance is far too difficult a concept for you?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Here's an example of another highly trained officer......

[h=3]Off-duty officer suspended after gun discharges in strip club restroom[/h]GONZALES, LA (WAFB) - An ordinary evening of work for a few employees in Gonzales, LA quickly became a terrifying experience one night in March.
According to police reports and witnesses, an off-duty Gonzales Police Officer was at a strip club in Gonzales, LA on March 13, 2013. The police report states the officer, Chase Delatte, walked into the men's restroom around 1:38 a.m. to check if his personal firearm in an ankle holster was loaded.
The Glock handgun accidentally fired, according to the report.
Gonzales Police Chief Sherman Jackson says Delatte was off duty on March 13, the Gonzales Police Department operations manual states that officers of the department are not authorized to carry a firearm into a bar while off duty.
Jackson also released a statement that says, "Once I was notified of Officer Delatte's involvement, an investigation was initiated by my office. Our findings led to the recommendation and subsequent three-day suspension of Officer Delatte in regards to his conduct."
That suspension, according to documents from the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office, is a three day suspension that is effective April 5, 2013. His suspension is for three working days.

bbsam

Staff member
That is my concern with nearly every government expansion, tax increase, and spending initiative. Where will the line be drawn and when will that line be crossed(as you know it will be)? Eventually the mere desire to own a firearm could be determined to be a mental instability thereby denying 2nd amendment rights to everyone. Just look at the arguments used on here by roadrunner and TOS, both make it seem like gun owners are maniacs chomping at the bit to pump some innocent person full of lead for their amusement when nothing could be further from the truth.

I do find it interesting though that you are trying to play both sides of the coin in this argument when we both know you are fully anti-gun.

Not anti gun at all. You can't seem to grasp that. I simply INSIST on RESPONSIBLE ownership and have very little empathy for those who fail to be responsible while jabbering about rights.

bbsam

Staff member
Here's an example of another highly trained officer......

Off-duty officer suspended after gun discharges in strip club restroom

GONZALES, LA (WAFB) - An ordinary evening of work for a few employees in Gonzales, LA quickly became a terrifying experience one night in March.
According to police reports and witnesses, an off-duty Gonzales Police Officer was at a strip club in Gonzales, LA on March 13, 2013. The police report states the officer, Chase Delatte, walked into the men's restroom around 1:38 a.m. to check if his personal firearm in an ankle holster was loaded.
The Glock handgun accidentally fired, according to the report.
Gonzales Police Chief Sherman Jackson says Delatte was off duty on March 13, the Gonzales Police Department operations manual states that officers of the department are not authorized to carry a firearm into a bar while off duty.
Jackson also released a statement that says, "Once I was notified of Officer Delatte's involvement, an investigation was initiated by my office. Our findings led to the recommendation and subsequent three-day suspension of Officer Delatte in regards to his conduct."
That suspension, according to documents from the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office, is a three day suspension that is effective April 5, 2013. His suspension is for three working days.

Like I said. Little empathy. When he returns, let him ride the desk for a feww years.

over9five

Staff member
This statement.... is the​ most overused statement and misconception by the general public.
People who use that statement are being led to believe that they are inferior. Don't buy it.

We are talking about an armed madman walking into a classroom. Hide behind desk, aim gun at madman, pull trigger until he drops.
It's not rocket science.

bbsam

Staff member
People who use that statement are being led to believe that they are inferior. Don't buy it.

We are talking about an armed madman walking into a classroom. Hide behind desk, aim gun at madman, pull trigger until he drops.
It's not rocket science.

I think most police chiefs would disagree.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. Because they want you to believe you're inferior.
then I honestly want your opinion. That parking lot shooting several months ago. There was an individual armed who doesn't d not fire because there were innocent people who might be hit. If he took the shot, is it justified if he hits a bystander? Is it justified for a police officer?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I disagree. Police are highly trained for hostile fire situations unlike you and me.

even beyond, "Don't trust the government" even though people put their trust in the government everyday? Or are you just using hyperbole because nuance is far too difficult a concept for you?

I have had the opportunity and privilege.... to represent Teamster Law Enforcement Personal.

​Anything you might say.... makes you look like a jerk.

​-Bug-