guns

Babagounj

Strength through joy
46-democrats-voted-guns-away.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As to your last point, I would just as soon ban all firearms than rely on armed civilians to protect me. I've seen the way people drive, I sure don't want them 'protecting' me with their guns.
I don't fear my government, which seems to be an underlying theme of the pro-gun crowd.

It is a peculiar misconception among the liberal crowd that the mere issuance of a police badge automatically confers upon its wearer some sort of superior ability at handling weapons that no mere "civilian" can ever hope to attain. Are you aware that virtually all recent IPSC and IDPA (International Practical Shooting Confederation and International Defensive Pistol Association) champions are civilians? Are you aware that many police jurisdictions only require their officers to "qualify" once or twice per year on paper targets? As one who is a member of a gun club and who frequently shoots there alongside fellow members who are cops, I am here to tell you that there are any number of civilian enthusiasts whose shooting abilities are equal to if not better than the average cop. If you trust a trained and certified teacher to teach your kids, why wouldn't you trust a trained and certified teacher to protect them? And if an armed lunatic does ever show up at your kids school, would it make you feel better if the teacher pinned a shiny little toy "police" badge to her shirt before protecting your children with a weapon?

moreluck

golden ticket member
If someone is placed on a 72-hour hold (also known as a “5150”) as a danger to themselves or others and admitted to a facility for treatment, they are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms for five years from the date of admission to the facility.

Applies to CA.
72-Hour Mental Health Hold
If you need to get help for someone who
may not want help but needs it immediately, you may need to arrange for
involuntary hospitalization. This process is called a "72-hour Mental Health
Hold."

Under California law, only designated personnel can place a person in 72-hour
hold, often called a "515O." They can be police officers, members of a "mobile
crisis team," or other mental health professionals authorized by their
county.

One of three conditions must be present for an individual to be placed on a
72-hour hold. The designated personnel believe there is probable cause that
because of a mental disorder the individual is:

• A danger to him or herself;
  • A danger to others; or
  • Gravely disabled (unable to provide for his or her basic personal needs for
    food, clothing or shelter).

The person placed in a 72-hour hold must be advised of his/her rights. The
facility requires an application stating the circumstances under which the
persons condition was called to the attention of the officer or professional;
what probable cause there is to believe the person is a danger to others, a
danger to him or herself, or gravely disabled (due to a mental disorder); and
the facts upon which this probable cause is based. Mere conclusions without
supporting facts are not sufficient.

What Happens During an Involuntary Hold?
When a person is detained
for up to 72 hours, the hospital is required to do an evaluation of that person,
taking into account his/her medical, psychological, educational, social,
financial and legal situation. The hospital does not have to hold the patient
for the complete 72 hours if the professional person in charge believes that the
patient no longer requires evaluation or treatment.

By the end of the 72 hours, one of the following things must happen:

• The person may be released;
  • The person may sign in as a voluntary patient;
  • The person may be put on a 14-day involuntary hold (a "certification for
    intensive treatment").

http://www.mhac.org/help/hotlines.cfm

bbsam

Staff member
It is a peculiar misconception among the liberal crowd that the mere issuance of a police badge automatically confers upon its wearer some sort of superior ability at handling weapons that no mere "civilian" can ever hope to attain. Are you aware that virtually all recent IPSC and IDPA (International Practical Shooting Confederation and International Defensive Pistol Association) champions are civilians? Are you aware that many police jurisdictions only require their officers to "qualify" once or twice per year on paper targets? As one who is a member of a gun club and who frequently shoots there alongside fellow members who are cops, I am here to tell you that there are any number of civilian enthusiasts whose shooting abilities are equal to if not better than the average cop. If you trust a trained and certified teacher to teach your kids, why wouldn't you trust a trained and certified teacher to protect them? And if an armed lunatic does ever show up at your kids school, would it make you feel better if the teacher pinned a shiny little toy "police" badge to her shirt before protecting your children with a weapon?

If these civilians are going to be defenders of the public, then when something does go horribly wrong (and it will) do you propose they get some kind of free pass? What is their responsibility for action or even inaction?

wkmac

Psychiatrist Warned Police About Shooter One Month Before Mass Murder

Well, that's gotta be pretty embarrassing. It seems the police could have prevented that shooting simply by doing their job. No wonder the prosecution tried to cover this up.

The otherside of this issue is that we've now learned once again that various prescribed meds that alter the mind and mood were involved. Quoting LA Times 4/4/13 issue:

Along with chemicals used for explosives, rounds of ammunition, pistol cases and paper targets, police seized movie posters, video games, apartment lease papers, numerous computers, 48 containers of beer and other liquor and stacks of school textbooks. They found prescription medication for sertraline, a generic version of Zoloft used to treat depression, panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder; and Clonazepam, usually prescribed to treat anxiety and panic attacks.

We've always had people among us with varying degrees of mental conditions as we've always had these guns around us to some degree or another. Yet in the last couple of decades we've seen the growing problem of mass shooting and when one drills down. there seems a common factor of these drugs. Why males, late teen to twenty somethings typically, why people with mental problems and why again the prescribed meds are on the scene?

What if there is a root cause here, we get rid of the gun and yet the very thing at the heart of the problem still exists, what might they turn too? One can make up some nasty stuff just with a visit to an average kitchen and average supply of home clearing products. Do we make all that illegal too if this becomes a problem?

As for Dr. Lynn Fenton, there were serious questions about her from day 1. Almost immediately, the University of Colorado deleted her bio from their website but it was captured by some quick thinking folks in google cach. Looking over the bio I have to ask what here presents a problem? And it's been nearly a year and only now we hear about her warnings to local police? Why after only one single visit with Holmes would all this backtracking seem to be necessary? Why wasn't Fenton up front and center working with police and the prosecution given her credentials from day one of this case?

A lot of questions, so many yet to even have a hint of an answer.

bbsam

Staff member
So what mental conditions warrant the publics attention? Bi-polar disorder? History of drug addiction? Bolemia? Neuroes? Psychosis? What constitutes taking away an individuals Second Amendment rights? This has been my question since mental health became the issue the NRA wanted to champion. You will give the government a wide and unprecedented power to extrapolate a persons thoughts, deny them of rights without due process and set an unwanted precedent. And for what? 30 round clips? That's foolish.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So what mental conditions warrant the publics attention? Bi-polar disorder? History of drug addiction? Bolemia? Neuroes? Psychosis? What constitutes taking away an individuals Second Amendment rights? This has been my question since mental health became the issue the NRA wanted to champion. You will give the government a wide and unprecedented power to extrapolate a persons thoughts, deny them of rights without due process and set an unwanted precedent. And for what? 30 round clips? That's foolish.

The gov't already has unprecedented power.

A real life example is the old man who use to live next door......a veteran with lots of bullet injuries but at 86 he was diagnosed with COPD and was often taken to the E.R. with breathing trouble.

This guy was the grumpy old man he once told me he never had a happy day in his life......really, your wedding day? The day your son was born?

Anyway, on one of his visits to the E.R., he made that statement that he didn't care if he lived any longer. They swept him quickly to the mental hosp. in Santa Ana while his son was still in the E.R. waiting room.

He was there for the 72 hour thing.......He really told some tales when he was finally released. The son had no say so in the matter.

Last edited: