guns

bbsam

Staff member
remarked how he personally was never in combat , his training just kicked in .
His companions were former medics .
what was he looking for and what did he find? I understand medics running in to get the wounded, but not sure what the gun would be for in this instance.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
vsm7ns.jpg

That has got to be one of the best captions I have seen in a loooooong time!! :rofl::rofl:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A fire extinguisher is an inantimate object. It is a tool that you use to potentially save a life that is threatened by fire.

A defibrillator is also an inantimate object, and it is also a tool that can be used to save a life that is threatened by a heart attack.

A gun...whether you like to admit it or not...is also an inantimate object, and it is also a tool that can be used to save a life that is being threatened by a mass murderer who has a gun of his own.

You say it has but one purpose, that being to kill. You are incorrect. In the hands of a law-abiding person who is using it to defend their life, its primary purpose is to neutralize a threat. Oftentimes this can be accomplished without even firing a shot.

We dont live in utopia. We live in a world that, unfortunately, has some pretty sick and violent people in it who have no regard for the lives of others. Sometimes, like it or not, those people have to be killed and a gun is simply the most effective tool for accomplishing that task.
I gave you a rep for this one Sober but I think I put it on the wrong one. LOL Great post.

over9five

Staff member
very thoughtful of him

In all honesty, I think he was an idiot for drawing his gun and running down the street.
Besides making a chaotic situation worse, I'm surprised some police sharpshooter on a roof didn't take him down. No reason at all to have a gun out in the middle of 20,000 innocent bystanders.

bbsam

Staff member
In all honesty, I think he was an idiot for drawing his gun and running down the street.
Besides making a chaotic situation worse, I'm surprised some police sharpshooter on a roof didn't take him down. No reason at all to have a gun out in the middle of 20,000 innocent bystanders.
exactly.

UPS Lifer

I hold 2 permits and can legally carry a concealed weapon in 36 states, and I can open carry virtually everywhere else except for a few of the idiot colonies like Chicago, New York and the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. What is needed...is a uniform and nationwide set of regulations that protect the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners regardless of what state line they happen to have crossed. If my Oregon drivers license and marriage license are recognized in all 50 states, why shouldnt my carry permit also be recognized?

I love your statement and I LOVE the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia line!!!!

Though I agree with your logical conclusion crossing over state lines. I will not go against my principles. I believe in state's rights and will continue to be an advocate.
However I won't argue with your point except to remind us that even with a driver's license, each state has certain laws or rules we must abide by to use that license. It is not a "right", it is a privilege we have to earn.

The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to bare arms. Unfortunately, each state as well as the Feds may interpret that differently. It is similar to the Teamster/UPS contract. There are areas that need to be debated and arbitrated because of interpretation. Words can only go so far!!!

OH! - I left this out - Where all of this gets real sticky is the motives or hidden agenda behind the interpretation!

UPS Lifer

My heartfelt sorrow goes out to all who suffered in yesterday's terrorist attack on our sister city.....

I think it will be very interesting to see how the discourse plays out over the issue of the gun debate now that this terrorist attack has taken place.

There could be several motives for the attack (I do not want to speculate on that) but IMO this has just knocked the wind out of the sails of the advocates of gun control.....once again.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My heartfelt sorrow goes out to all who suffered in yesterday's terrorist attack on our sister city.....

I think it will be very interesting to see how the discourse plays out over the issue of the gun debate now that this terrorist attack has taken place.

There could be several motives for the attack (I do not want to speculate on that) but IMO this has just knocked the wind out of the sails of the advocates of gun control.....once again.

Any thoughts on the subject?

This pretty well expressed my thoughts:

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f13/ban-bombs-349583/

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
To assist with what?

Who was he going to shoot? What made him think he needed his "gun" in the first place? What if it was just a gas line explosion?

Sounds more like another "john wayne" syndrome maroon running around with a gun.

Peace

TOS

Just want to interject really quick-like......For people that aren't morons, that was painfully clear that it wasn't a gas explosion. Two timed explosions centered in the middle of a crowd of people during an international gathering at the finish line (also the most highly populated) of a marathon. Oh, and gas explosions are entirely more violent then those. They also tend to involve larger amounts of fire.

A Marine who served any time over seas would have immediately reacted because that is what they were trained to do, and that's what they have been witness to during their deployment. It's a knee jerk reaction, he didn't shoot anybody, and I highly doubt it's as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Seriously, who gives a sh!!t. A soldier reacted in a soldier kind of way. You want those guys to fight wars with batons? Why don't you worry more about the scum who set the bombs off? Or give credit to the fact that the Marine was even brave enough to go assist in some fashion in the first place? I try not to scrutinize people who show that they care, one way or another. Who cares if they use a gun or a gurney?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I love your statement and I LOVE the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia line!!!!

Though I agree with your logical conclusion crossing over state lines. I will not go against my principles. I believe in state's rights and will continue to be an advocate.
However I won't argue with your point except to remind us that even with a driver's license, each state has certain laws or rules we must abide by to use that license. It is not a "right", it is a privilege we have to earn.

The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to bare arms. Unfortunately, each state as well as the Feds may interpret that differently. It is similar to the Teamster/UPS contract. There are areas that need to be debated and arbitrated because of interpretation. Words can only go so far!!!

OH! - I left this out - Where all of this gets real sticky is the motives or hidden agenda behind the interpretation!

How do you interpret the word "BARE" to mean POSSESS, OWN, CARRY or PURCHASE any type of guns?

How do you attempt to apply 21st century interpretations of words to 1791 language? The word "BARE" in 1791 was a military term, and not a private persons term, so how do you transform the word into anything else? There is nothing in the second amendment that includes the words, PRIVATE CITIZEN, OWNERSHIP, PURCHASING, COLLECTING or SELF PROTECTION, HOME PROTECTION or anythng else the typical gun owner believes to be contained in the second amendment.

Language Log � What did it mean to ‘bear arms’ in 1791?

The second amendment gives you the RIGHT to "BARE" arms if you were a member of the states militia and even that has its restrictions. In 1792, the militia act was passed by congress and in that, a structure was placed on states on how to form militias and WHO could be in them. One of the key aspects of the ACT was that only FREE WHITE MEN, between the ages of 18 and 45 could be in the militia or possess a weapon.

No blacks, mexicans, asians or any other ethnicity could possess a gun or be in a militia. The ACT further restricted what kinds of weapons those FREE WHITE men could possess.

The second amendment was a military clause being necessary in the begining of the USA and later eliminated in 1903 when the National Guard was created by congress.

There is NOTHING in the second amendment that gives a person the PRIVATE right to own anything, and this is only an interpretation by gun owners and the NRA. The high court ruled in HELLER v DC that a person had a right to possess a gun ONLY in the home, and did NOT extend that right to OUTSIDE the home.

This is why they did not want to take this case. They would have had to rule against GUN owners , the NRA and the Republicans who put them in those chairs.

Instead, they allowed the appellate court rulings to stand in each state and they could keep their hands clean. If the HIGH COURT believed like YOU do, that you have a right to carry a gun on your person, then they would have taken the case and ruled that way.

Unfortunately, the second amendment doesnt give you that right and the HIGH COURT KNOWS IT.

The anti gun movement gets a huge victory in this ruling by the high court to reject the case. NOW, new laws will be written to outlaw semi auto weapons and military style weapons along with concealed weapons permits.

It was a great day for Gun regulation yesterday.

peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just want to interject really quick-like......For people that aren't morons, that was painfully clear that it wasn't a gas explosion. Two timed explosions centered in the middle of a crowd of people during an international gathering at the finish line (also the most highly populated) of a marathon. Oh, and gas explosions are entirely more violent then those. They also tend to involve larger amounts of fire.

A Marine who served any time over seas would have immediately reacted because that is what they were trained to do, and that's what they have been witness to during their deployment. It's a knee jerk reaction, he didn't shoot anybody, and I highly doubt it's as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Seriously, who gives a sh!!t. A soldier reacted in a soldier kind of way. You want those guys to fight wars with batons? Why don't you worry more about the scum who set the bombs off? Or give credit to the fact that the Marine was even brave enough to go assist in some fashion in the first place? I try not to scrutinize people who show that they care, one way or another. Who cares if they use a gun or a gurney?

The point is simple. We were told he "DREW HIS WEAPON" and went to the scene. Why would he draw his weapon in the first place? This was an explosion, that at the time was unknown in origin.

At the end of the day, this was a mickey mouse home grown terrorist bomb. I am sure we will find out that its some home grown subversive group trying to shake up the country.

This marine who took out his gun had no idea why he took out his gun, but it makes great press for gun freaks everywhere. Why didnt he take out a medical kit, or blankets or a first aid kit to help the wounded?

A gun doesnt solve problems.

This bombing wont be solved with guns. With todays technology, the FBI will ultimately review thousands of surveilence video and catch the persons responsible for this bombing.

All your other ramblings about fighting wars was a waste of time.

Peace

TOS

UPS Lifer

Fringe left wing loons who are haters to boot would never comprehend what you just stated. You can talk till you are blue in the face.
They regard anyone who does not hold their point of view as someone who should be locked up and the key thrown away.
Their way is the only way
Their way is the right (scratch that) correct way
They think they are the Chosen Ones and everyone else be damned

Need I remind you....
History points to several despots who held similar views...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey folks! The NRA sponsored a NASCAR race!! All the excited fans got to see the NRA 500 logo all over the speedway in support of guns!! All the faithful gun owners were there cheering and roaring for the NRA! What an event! Everyone loves nascar!

But wait, what could make this race even better than the NRA sponsoring the event?

OH yeah, a man Shooting himself in the head with a gun in the middle of the infield.

NRA 500 Suicide: Man Shoots Himself To Death At NASCAR Race

I guess guns belong everywhere, eh?

Peace

TOS

bbsam

Staff member
Fringe left wing loons who are haters to boot would never comprehend what you just stated. You can talk till you are blue in the face.
They regard anyone who does not hold their point of view as someone who should be locked up and the key thrown away.
Their way is the only way
Their way is the right (scratch that) correct way
They think they are the Chosen Ones and everyone else be damned

Need I remind you....
History points to several despots who held similar views...

Odd. I get the same feeling about you.