guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do patrol cars still have the locked-in shotguns these days?

The sheriffs in my county have 12 gauge shotguns in a locking mount sitting upright between the front seats. They also have AR-15 rifles in the trunk. The department issues each deputy a safe that they can bolt to the wall in the garage of their home for storing these weapons in at night or when they are off duty.

We had an incident here in Oregon a couple years back where an armed lunatic in a stolen car was being pursued at high speed by police. He was crossing through several jurisdictions and multiple police agencies were involved but they were having trouble keeping up with him and coordinating their efforts. An off-duty sheriff was at home asleep when her emergency pager went off. She got out of bed,threw her uniform jacket on over her pajamas, hopped into her patrol car and drove 30+ miles at high speed into a different county from her own jurisdiction, and was able to get ahead of the lunatic and deploy spike strips on the road which disabled his car. In her pajamas. 30 miles out of her own county. Would the residents of Oregon have been better off if she had been forced to waste valuable time driving to headquarters in order to obtain her duty weapon? That sort of big-city liberal thinking doesnt really work out in the country where response times are already slow and deputies rely on backup from other agencies that might take up to an hour to arrive.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
There was an incident probably a year ago with the floundering SPD where one of their highly trained officers left his AR unattended on top of his squad car.Thank God nobody procured it before this snafu was realized.

Last edited:

soberups

Hmmmm, someone I know, personally, said he could make his own gun. Oh no.

What those 3D copiers can actually make is a polymer receiver for a gun, not an entire gun itself.

The receiver is the part that is required to have a serial # and a background check in order to buy it. It is legally a firearm, but without a barrel, bolt, magazine, or trigger assembly it is incapable of firing a bullet on its own. You cant make a barrel or a bolt out of polymer.

wkmac

What those 3D copiers can actually make is a polymer receiver for a gun, not an entire gun itself.

The receiver is the part that is required to have a serial # and a background check in order to buy it. It is legally a firearm, but without a barrel, bolt, magazine, or trigger assembly it is incapable of firing a bullet on its own. You cant make a barrel or a bolt out of polymer.

Nothing required if you make it and use it yourself. ATF confirmed this. Film maker asked the ATF specifically about those receivers not having a serial # and ATF said that as long as those receivers never leave his possession, the maker is compliant with all applicable law.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
33f9a9u.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
You would if you lived in a rural area that relies upon the Sheriffs Department for police protection.

Sheriffs in rural areas drive their patrol vehicles home at night instead of making a long and unproductive round trip commute to a headquarters. Sheriffs in these areas are pretty much "on call" 24-7 to respond to emergencies. If you lived in a rural area and called 911, would you want to add an extra 45 minutes or an hour to the response time so that a deputy could drive 20 miles to headquarters to retrieve his duty weapon?

Actually I grew up in such an area and your scenario isn't really that realistic. All the town police and sheriffs deputies were on the same page as far as providing backup at any time. A perpetrator 20 miles a way was always minutes away from local law enforcement and most of the time law enforcement and criminals knew each other on a first name basis.

soberups

You would if you lived in a rural area that relies upon the Sheriffs Department for police protection.

Sheriffs in rural areas drive their patrol vehicles home at night instead of making a long and unproductive round trip commute to a headquarters. Sheriffs in these areas are pretty much "on call" 24-7 to respond to emergencies. If you lived in a rural area and called 911, would you want to add an extra 45 minutes or an hour to the response time so that a deputy could drive 20 miles to headquarters to retrieve his duty weapon?

Actually I grew up in such an area and your scenario isn't really that realistic. All the town police and sheriffs deputies were on the same page as far as providing backup at any time. A perpetrator 20 miles a way was always minutes away from local law enforcement and most of the time law enforcement and criminals knew each other on a first name basis.

There are areas I deliver to where the response time on a 911 call at night might be 30 minutes or more.

There are entire counties in southern Oregon that, due to budget cuts, might only have one deputy on patrol at night for an area of over 2000 square miles.
"Backup" from the State Police or the nearest city police might take 2 hours to arrive.

The idea that a sheriff deputy who patrols such an area should spend an extra hour ot two of his day commuting to headquarters unarmed in order to retrieve or drop off his duty weapon and car is idiotic. These guys are on-call 24/7 emergency responders for very large and remote areas. Taking their vehicles and equipment home at night is the most cost-effective way to reduce response times for the areas they serve.

UPS Lifer

A fire extinguisher is an inantimate object. It is a tool that you use to potentially save a life that is threatened by fire.

A defibrillator is also an inantimate object, and it is also a tool that can be used to save a life that is threatened by a heart attack.

A gun...whether you like to admit it or not...is also an inantimate object, and it is also a tool that can be used to save a life that is being threatened by a mass murderer who has a gun of his own.

You say it has but one purpose, that being to kill. You are incorrect. In the hands of a law-abiding person who is using it to defend their life, its primary purpose is to neutralize a threat. Oftentimes this can be accomplished without even firing a shot.

We dont live in utopia. We live in a world that, unfortunately, has some pretty sick and violent people in it who have no regard for the lives of others. Sometimes, like it or not, those people have to be killed and a gun is simply the most effective tool for accomplishing that task.

This argument could not have been presented any better.

Of course, those left wing loons will try to paint those who disagree with them as anything but rational.

Very nice job of pointing out the facts and taking a balanced and non-argumentative tone.

bbsam

Staff member
There are areas I deliver to where the response time on a 911 call at night might be 30 minutes or more.

There are entire counties in southern Oregon that, due to budget cuts, might only have one deputy on patrol at night for an area of over 2000 square miles.
"Backup" from the State Police or the nearest city police might take 2 hours to arrive.

The idea that a sheriff deputy who patrols such an area should spend an extra hour ot two of his day commuting to headquarters unarmed in order to retrieve or drop off his duty weapon and car is idiotic. These guys are on-call 24/7 emergency responders for very large and remote areas. Taking their vehicles and equipment home at night is the most cost-effective way to reduce response times for the areas they serve.

Fair enough. But what you have truly exemplified is why gun laws will never allow an owner to travel cross country through different jurisdictions with a firearm and be legal. Different areas reqire different regulation. I would go back then to the earlier point that a $1000 fine is not sufficient.

soberups

Fair enough. But what you have truly exemplified is why gun laws will never allow an owner to travel cross country through different jurisdictions with a firearm and be legal. Different areas reqire different regulation. I would go back then to the earlier point that a $1000 fine is not sufficient.

I hold 2 permits and can legally carry a concealed weapon in 36 states, and I can open carry virtually everywhere else except for a few of the idiot colonies like Chicago, New York and the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. What is needed...is a uniform and nationwide set of regulations that protect the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners regardless of what state line they happen to have crossed. If my Oregon drivers license and marriage license are recognized in all 50 states, why shouldnt my carry permit also be recognized?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I live in a rural area and a wait is one thing, they never show up is another. I had kids vandalizing my vehicles, I got a camera. I gave the tape to the sheriff dept. Those kids never bothered me again. And they never, ever showed up. BUT, if there is a guy with a gun at my door, I am not waiting for a good guy with a gun, coz I will be a dead guy. I will have my gun.

bbsam

Staff member
I hold 2 permits and can legally carry a concealed weapon in 36 states, and I can open carry virtually everywhere else except for a few of the idiot colonies like Chicago, New York and the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. What is needed...is a uniform and nationwide set of regulations that protect the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners regardless of what state line they happen to have crossed. If my Oregon drivers license and marriage license are recognized in all 50 states, why shouldnt my carry permit also be recognized?
same reason I can't get in my truck and drive 65mph all the way to the soccer complex. Rural and city are different animals.
People in T

soberups

same reason I can't get in my truck and drive 65mph all the way to the soccer complex. Rural and city are different animals.

1. You dont have a constitutional right to drive. Driving on a public road is a privelege not a right. It is not safe to drive 65 MPH through a residential area, whereas a law-abiding person with a concealed weapon permit poses no threat to anyone.

2. The constitution is supposed to apply everywhere in the United States. If we follow your logic to its ultimate conclusion, then rural areas of the South with a white majority should be able to vote on their own to negate the Constitution and re-enact slavery or Jim Crow laws against blacks since rural and city are, according to you, "different animals."