guns

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Excellent idea .
The creation of state lotteries killed off many illegally run games .
So the creation of state run gun stores would kill off much of the illegal gun trade?
I'm not talking about the government selling drugs anymore than you're talking about them selling guns. I'm talking about them staying out of it all together. They should have stayed out of gambling and drugs and guns and marriage and a lot of other things they poke their power hungry hands into. Government run lotteries are a terrible idea if you ask me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So the creation of state run gun stores would kill off much of the illegal gun trade?
I'm not talking about the government selling drugs anymore than you're talking about them selling guns. I'm talking about them staying out of it all together. They should have stayed out of gambling and drugs and guns and marriage and a lot of other things they poke their power hungry hands into. Government run lotteries are a terrible idea if you ask me.
But they did it for the children , to fund education or so they claim .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
But they did it for the children , to fund education or so they claim .
Ah yes, won't someone think of the children lol.
I don't disagree with their good intentions anymore than I do with the people who want to reduce gun violence.
I simply disagree with the means they want to accomplish it.

In the case of the lottery, here, it funnels hundreds of millions of dollars to low income students for college tuition. That's a good thing of course. However, overall it does a disadvantage to the poor people who play the lottery since on average they end up spending 5-10% of their income on it.

And then of course there's the problem we have here where republicans decided pretty much anyone can get that money, not just the poor. So now upper middle class families who don't even need the money are taking it away from the most disadvantaged. Maybe that's fair, maybe it's not, but either way it's not what people voted for when they approved the lottery.

Good intentions, bad execution.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
MILWAUKEE (AP) — A lawyer for a pair of Milwaukee police officers suing a gun shop for negligence told jurors Monday that the store should have to pay several million dollars in damages for selling a gun that was used to wound his clients.

The case has drawn attention because it could set gun law precedent if jurors find the gun shop owners can be held financially responsible for a crime committed with a weapon purchased at their store.

Authorities have said more than 500 firearms recovered from crime scenes had been traced back to Badger Guns and Badger Outdoors, making it the "No. 1 crime gun dealer in America," according to a 2005 charging document from an unrelated case. A former federal agent has also said the shop had failed take necessary precautions to prevent straw purchases.

The case recently surfaced in the presidential campaigns after Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton said she would push for a repeal of the George W. Bush-era gun law that lawyers say shields their client from liability claims.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f6f...gun-shop-should-pay-wounded-officers-millions

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Jurors ordered a Wisconsin gun shop to pay nearly $6 million on Tuesday to two Milwaukee police officers who were shot and seriously wounded by a gun purchased at the store.

The ruling came in a negligence lawsuit filed by the officers against Badger Guns, a shop in suburban Milwaukee that authorities have linked to hundreds of firearms found at crime scenes. The lawsuit alleges the store ignored several warning signs that the gun was being sold to a "straw buyer," or someone who was buying a gun for someone who couldn't legally do so.

Jurors ruled that store was negligent in selling the gun and ordered the store to pay Norberg $1.5 million and Kunisch $3.6 million, in addition to $730,000 in punitive damages.

The officers' lawyer, Patrick Dunphy, said Tuesday that he expects years of appeals in the case. Defense attorneys declined to comment.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7159...-ordered-pay-millions-injured-police-officers

wayfair

swollen member
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Jurors ordered a Wisconsin gun shop to pay nearly $6 million on Tuesday to two Milwaukee police officers who were shot and seriously wounded by a gun purchased at the store.

The ruling came in a negligence lawsuit filed by the officers against Badger Guns, a shop in suburban Milwaukee that authorities have linked to hundreds of firearms found at crime scenes. The lawsuit alleges the store ignored several warning signs that the gun was being sold to a "straw buyer," or someone who was buying a gun for someone who couldn't legally do so.

Jurors ruled that store was negligent in selling the gun and ordered the store to pay Norberg $1.5 million and Kunisch $3.6 million, in addition to $730,000 in punitive damages.

The officers' lawyer, Patrick Dunphy, said Tuesday that he expects years of appeals in the case. Defense attorneys declined to comment.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7159...-ordered-pay-millions-injured-police-officers

TLDR

Straw purchases are illegal

wayfair

swollen member
Thanks captain obvious.
This isn't about the gun shop owners going to jail.
It's about victims being awarded damages for them selling those guns, in spite of a law baby Bush passed to make that as difficult as possible.
TTKU.

so where are all the lawsuits that haven't happened since these EO's

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-on-gun-safety-signed-today-by-the-president/

President Obama has signed 23 executive orders designed to address the problem of gun violence in America. The following are the items addressed:

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
so where are all the lawsuits that haven't happened since these EO's

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-on-gun-safety-signed-today-by-the-president/

President Obama has signed 23 executive orders designed to address the problem of gun violence in America. The following are the items addressed:

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health
I guess I was right it is over your head.
None of those have anything to do with holding gun sellers responsible for crimes committed with the guns they sold.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
no, I told you, straw purchases are illegal... can you not figure that out

uh oh, give me another derail
If you wouldn't have quoted me you wouldn't have gotten a derail.
If you want to post the information you posted that's fine. But to try and use it to deflect the issue we were talking about is a derail.

Straw purchases are illegal, thanks again captain obvious.
This isn't about criminal charges. It's about damages to victims being paid by the seller of the guns. I really do think this might be over your head.

wayfair

swollen member
If you wouldn't have quoted me you wouldn't have gotten a derail.
If you want to post the information you posted that's fine. But to try and use it to deflect the issue we were talking about is a derail.

Straw purchases are illegal, thanks again captain obvious.
This isn't about criminal charges. It's about damages to victims being paid by the seller of the guns. I really do think this might be over your head.

keep trying