Helene aftermath

vantexan

So their point being, if you have 20 straight White people on one road needing help and one LGBTQ+ person on another, FEMA should ignore the 20 and help the one? Because of equity, of course. Those people are insane.
Straight white people will soon be required to wear a Star of David like symbol to identify us at the rate this is going.

tourists24

FEMA has been a joke on this disaster so far. Newspaper opinions are just that. I know people want to politic during this time but people here on the ground know better.

tourists24

Nobody in WNC gives a dang about what those papers have to say. Shut the heck up when you don’t live in the area or have a clue what you are talking about.
Hey @Appvol , did you see that two of the biggest newspapers in NC said FEMA was doing a great job with this disaster? I’m sure they’re doing a bang up job there in Avery County right?

tourists24

The Governors in the states being affected say they are getting all of the aid they can use. Just taking time because of all of the destruction. Stop turning a regional disaster into a political football.
Aid has been good but not by the federal government. The governors can say what they want but the people on the ground know better. You’re doing a good job yourself of playing political football so don’t point fingers

Last edited:

tourists24

Local 25 getting in on some relief effort.
1728325159406.jpeg

MAKAVELI

So their point being, if you have 20 straight White people on one road needing help and one LGBTQ+ person on another, FEMA should ignore the 20 and help the one? Because of equity, of course. Those people are insane.
No the point is it's a post on Twitter. It's fake and if you believe it there's no hope for you.

fishtm2001

FEMA has been a joke on this disaster so far. Newspaper opinions are just that. I know people want to politic during this time but people here on the ground know better.
Ask any of the Republican Governors and local officials in the affected area and they will say that the feds have been on the ground since before the hurricane hit and have been excellently coordinating the massive response.

fishtm2001

I'm sure the was plenty of blame to go around and hopefully lessons were learned from Katrina. But all the lies and misinformation coming from Trump supporters is only hurting those affected by Helene and not helping at all.
"Washington Monthly has been telling the story of the “FEMA phoenix” for 20 years. Back in 2005, Daniel Franklin wrote how the Clinton administration, under Administrator James Lee Witt, had transformed the agency from an inert slug into a well-oiled machine. Under President George H.W. Bush, it was disastrously slow to react to hurricanes in Puerto Rico and Florida, but thanks to Witt, it mounted a vigorous response to severe Mississippi River floods in 1993 and the Oklahoma City bombing.

In the 2000s, George W. Bush and congressional Republicans broke FEMA once more. As Kevin Drum outlined at the Monthly, first Bush appointed one of his Texas cronies with no prior experience to run it, who stayed for less than two years. That guy was replaced with another crony, Michael Brown, whose prior experience was running the International Arabian Horse Association. The administration announced it would privatize much of FEMA’s capacity. Then FEMA was folded into the Department of Homeland Security, and its advance preparation systems were given to a different agency. It became a dumping ground for Bush cronies who needed patronage jobs."

American Prospect

tourists24

Ask any of the Republican Governors and local officials in the affected area and they will say that the feds have been on the ground since before the hurricane hit and have been excellently coordinating the massive response.
I don't need to ask the politicians. I can read and hear what they say for the cameras. I've been there and seen exactly who is on the ground taking action with my own eyes. And more importantly have talked with the people I know in some of these smaller communities and hearing who it is giving the most efforts, and it sure as hell isn't the feds.

But you are so hellbent on making your political heroes look good and hate bad orange man so much that you will blindly believe the media because it fits your narrative. The only feds that were even in the area at all at first was the administrative folks. That's it. The politicians lie about it. @MAKAVELI made a lot of sense what he posted and made me look at things a lot differently when it comes to the feds and FEMA response.

FEMA has NOW established itself across Buncombe County and is starting to do what should have been done within a day of this disaster. My whole point is that they were woefully late in doing anything. Instead of relying on the media and politicians maybe get down here and see for yourself and talk to the actual people affected.

fishtm2001

I don't need to ask the politicians. I can read and hear what they say for the cameras. I've been there and seen exactly who is on the ground taking action with my own eyes. And more importantly have talked with the people I know in some of these smaller communities and hearing who it is giving the most efforts, and it sure as hell isn't the feds.

But you are so hellbent on making your political heroes look good and hate bad orange man so much that you will blindly believe the media because it fits your narrative. The only feds that were even in the area at all at first was the administrative folks. That's it. The politicians lie about it. @MAKAVELI made a lot of sense what he posted and made me look at things a lot differently when it comes to the feds and FEMA response.

FEMA has NOW established itself across Buncombe County and is starting to do what should have been done within a day of this disaster. My whole point is that they were woefully late in doing anything. Instead of relying on the media and politicians maybe get down here and see for yourself and talk to the actual people affected.
Imagine donald doing for Ashville what he did for Puerto Rico.

"FEMA was caught unprepared and overstretched, and just as with Katrina, rescue and repair efforts were very slow to start. Wastewater facilities and hospitals were knocked out for months, power was not fully restored for 11 months, millions of water bottles were forgotten on a runway, and something like 3,000 people died. And as usual under Republican rule, large reconstruction contracts started mysteriously going to unprepared companies with administration ties."

Prospect.org

fishtm2001

"Trump held such a grudge against Puerto Rico that he held up about $20 billion in congressionally authorized aid for the rest of his presidency; some was unlocked just before the 2020 election, and the rest by Biden in early 2021. He also diverted $10 million from the FEMA budget to ICE immigrant detention programs. The administration also impeded investigations into whether it was holding up the funds. A former aide recently told reporters that Trump had only granted aid money for California wildfire response after it was explained to him how many Republicans were in the affected region in Orange County

AP

The area affected is huge. I am sorry if FEMA couldn't get to your backyard before anyone else. I assume you have power and communication since you are complaining on here. Many people are a lot worse off.

tourists24

Imagine donald doing for Ashville what he did for Puerto Rico.

"FEMA was caught unprepared and overstretched, and just as with Katrina, rescue and repair efforts were very slow to start. Wastewater facilities and hospitals were knocked out for months, power was not fully restored for 11 months, millions of water bottles were forgotten on a runway, and something like 3,000 people died. And as usual under Republican rule, large reconstruction contracts started mysteriously going to unprepared companies with administration ties."

Prospect.org
Well I see what Joe HAS done with Asheville and it's not a what if scenario. It was a horrendous fed response and a week too late. They are here now so the future will play out. I know it means a lot to you for the Democrats to be heroes and to show how awful the Republicans are, but I don't care about that like you do. I wasn't in Puerto Rico but I AM an eye witness for this one in WNC.

tourists24

The area affected is huge. I am sorry if FEMA couldn't get to your backyard before anyone else. I assume you have power and communication since you are complaining on here. Many people are a lot worse off.
Yes,I do have power and communication now. You are very correct that a lot are worse off than I am. My county was one of the counties flooded and damaged but the winds weren't nearly as bad. It really is incredible how huge of an area was hit. I guessed earlier that it was probably about the size of West Virginia. It wasn't that FEMA couldn't get to my backyard first (we didn't need it as much). It was that they didn't arrive anywhere for an entire week. Local, state, and private organizations did. And yep I'm complaining about it because that was not sufficient on the feds part.