how long do people wait to turn furnace on in cold states?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
1332 sf condo.

I keep an unused bedroom closed.

My highest since I have been here was just over $100.
2800 sf house. Dual zone climate control. Three refrigerators. I’m the only person who turns off TV’s or lights. Electric bill is just under $400 a month in Summer. $160’s in winter.

rod

Retired 23 years
2800 sf house. Dual zone climate control. Three refrigerators. I’m the only person who turns off TV’s or lights. Electric bill is just under $400 a month in Summer. $160’s in winter.

Following the wife around turning off lights and closing widows when the furnace is running seems to be my life lately. (urge to strangle) I swear she's worse than a kid.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Following the wife around turning off lights and closing widows when the furnace is running seems to be my life lately. (urge to strangle) I swear she's worse than a kid.
Women...can't live withm', can't
ae4aGed.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I was reading something awhile back. They was pushing for solar panels in Hawaii. So many people did it the electric company had to raise rates because they was losing to much. You also have to pay a power generation tax on what you produce.
Exactly. A friend of mine put them in years ago. The electric company was paying him each month! Now they changed rates, and he owes them again. You can’t win.

dezguy

Your wife and my wife must be related. Apparently, she constantly forgets that light switches also go down. If shes home when I'm not, I get back to literally every light in the house on while she's sitting on the couch, watching tv.

But heaven forbid if I leave the toilet seat up.

oldngray

nowhere special
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you might never recoup the cost by the amount you save. Kinda like buying a Prius

I think the time to for a solar system to pay for itself is over 10 years. Maybe a lot longer. Factor in the required maintenance costs and the savings vanish.

Its a lot smarter to just insulate your house and use traditional energy sources.