I’ve heard this statement a lot from higher seniority drivers.

Would you start this job at a young age again if it was like it is now?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Undertow

True if you're running a route/area you know. And if you've been on the same bid route for years you can run it with your eyes closed.
Well if the rumors swirling around about the company about to spring front facing camera surveillance on us, I doubt we'll see anybody doing that for very long in the event they were good enough to pull it off.

The Jeep Driver

On the road less traveled...
It's a "No" for me... but it's not the work necessarily... I had other plans for life, but the "golden handcuffs" caused me to stay for just one more year... and then the one day I find, too many years have got behind me. I'm blessed, but not in the way I'd imagined.
As far as the job, once UPS stopped caring about customer service and only focused on "the numbers," my job has gotten progressively worse. I do not enjoy being cussed out by customers for decisions I had no part in making. I've been assaulted on the job by a customer, on company property, and management did nothing. (I should have filed a grievance, but I didn't know better at the time.) UPS isn't the same company I started working for in the '90's ... Big Brown doesn't care anymore. My customers hate having their packages delivered by SurePost, hate forced Access Point deliveries, hate a Customer Service line that doesn't speak coherent English, hate an $8.00 fee to pick up a package at the Hub, hate a Customer Counter that won't accept cash, hate that their package was missorted because UPS isn't able to figure out that "Road A-10" is the same as "Road A10," hate that their package is in the Center, but didn't go out for delivery that day, and no one can find it. That never would have happened back in the day. Now it's common to walk in and see the sort isle full of Next Day Air that didn't go out for delivery. When I started, every package went out, every day.
I'm blessed, but I'm so very tired of it all.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
It's a "No" for me... but it's not the work necessarily... I had other plans for life, but the "golden handcuffs" caused me to stay for just one more year... and then the one day I find, too many years have got behind me. I'm blessed, but not in the way I'd imagined.
As far as the job, once UPS stopped caring about customer service and only focused on "the numbers," my job has gotten progressively worse. I do not enjoy being cussed out by customers for decisions I had no part in making. I've been assaulted on the job by a customer, on company property, and management did nothing. (I should have filed a grievance, but I didn't know better at the time.) UPS isn't the same company I started working for in the '90's ... Big Brown doesn't care anymore. My customers hate having their packages delivered by SurePost, hate forced Access Point deliveries, hate a Customer Service line that doesn't speak coherent English, hate an $8.00 fee to pick up a package at the Hub, hate a Customer Counter that won't accept cash, hate that their package was missorted because UPS isn't able to figure out that "Road A-10" is the same as "Road A10," hate that their package is in the Center, but didn't go out for delivery that day, and no one can find it. That never would have happened back in the day. Now it's common to walk in and see the sort isle full of Next Day Air that didn't go out for delivery. When I started, every package went out, every day.
U need some cheese fries

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I do like cheese fries, although TBH I'm not sure what your comment meant... I hope my post didn't come across as whiny, wasn't meant that way.... also didn't mean to type a wall of text... just an old-timer reflecting on the past...
Just asking if u like cheese fries

anonymous23456

You gave an honest assessment of our current culture.
Hard time created strong men. Strong men created good time. Good time create weak men. Weak men create hard time.

Brown Down

i don't think anyone would really start over because of how much this job has changed. To someone starting out now its the norm. To those of us that have been here 15 to 20 years its changed alot. To 30 plus its drastic. And im sure it was the same when i first started. 30 plus wouldn't want to start over, it was decent changes for the 15 to 20 year people, and to me it was the norm.

Appvol

I would College sucked. Took me 10 years to go full time. Heck now it takes no time at all. The younger drivers will just bring stuff back because they didn’t want to run it now a days. They will takes days off because they need to rest up to work the next day. If it’s not in their EDD it don’t get ran.

JL 0513

I would College sucked. Took me 10 years to go full time. Heck now it takes no time at all. The younger drivers will just bring stuff back because they didn’t want to run it now a days. They will takes days off because they need to rest up to work the next day. If it’s not in their EDD it don’t get ran.
Those days of taking many years to go driving are coming back. The pandemic era wave and adding 22.4's for Saturday coverage is over and the economy going downhill means very little to no new FT drivers. If there's a strike, it'll be much worse - laying off lots of existing drivers.

Brown Down

I really think that’s the end game for the company. Churn and Burn
unfortunatly i think you are right. but word of mouth goes alog way with not finding replacements as amazon has started to find out. What looks good on paper rarely ever survives intact in the real world.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I do like cheese fries, although TBH I'm not sure what your comment meant... I hope my post didn't come across as whiny, wasn't meant that way.... also didn't mean to type a wall of text... just an old-timer reflecting on the past...
It’s not. No matter what this company will say, it will always be a customer service job. I disregard what they say about it. They pay our bills, they can get their stuff. Try to fire me. See how that will work out.