I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

vantexan

well theres lots of things you can do to improve peoples standards of living before you first: build a wall and second: kill all the jews i mean muslims i mean terrorists.
Who wants to do all that? We should build a wall because we are a sovereign nation that has the right to say who enters and how they enter. We should build a wall because we are deeply in debt and millions are wanting to take advantage of programs we can barely afford. We should build a wall because there are people who want to come in with the intent of hurting people, whether common criminal or terrorist.

rickyb

Who wants to do all that? We should build a wall because we are a sovereign nation that has the right to say who enters and how they enter. We should build a wall because we are deeply in debt and millions are wanting to take advantage of programs we can barely afford. We should build a wall because there are people who want to come in with the intent of hurting people, whether common criminal or terrorist.
do you believe in free markets?

cut war spending.

fascism is in the cards, which is why i bring it up. very likely america goes far right wing.

rickyb

David Stockman Retweeted
Wolf Richter‏ @wolfofwolfst 5h5 hours ago

The Most Splendid Housing Bubbles in America Deflate: Seattle house prices drop 4.4% in four months, biggest drop since Housing Bust 1; Prices deflate in San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Denver, and Portland https://wolfstreet.com/2018/12/26/most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-america-decline-seattle-san-francisco-bay-area-san-diego-denver-portland/ …

DvYcht3U0AEnfhY.jpg

David Stockman Retweeted
Wolf Richter‏ @wolfofwolfst 5h5 hours ago

The Most Splendid Housing Bubbles in America Deflate: Seattle house prices drop 4.4% in four months, biggest drop since Housing Bust 1; Prices deflate in San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, Denver, and Portland https://wolfstreet.com/2018/12/26/most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-america-decline-seattle-san-francisco-bay-area-san-diego-denver-portland/ …

DvYcht3U0AEnfhY.jpg
You are 6 months behind the trend. And are missing the fundamentals. The early 70s and late 80s were probably the two hardest hit downturns in Seattle housing.

Seasonally adjusted date is also a much better indicator of trends. But that data wouldn't show your “sky is falling” narrative, would it?

i was walking the dog and i saw an ad for a 2 br 2 bath condo near the park starting for $800,000. this is in the city next to the big city with the downtown

middle class = eviscerated
Sounds like new construction. Nobody ever lost buying at the top of a housing bubble. Only by selling.

oldngray

nowhere special
You were lucky to get a mortgage under 10% in the 1980s. I remember bank CD rates of 7.5% in 1988.
I got my first mortgage in 1986 when the rates dropped to 9.5%. They had been 2 or 3 points higher.

But I had some money in CD's that made a ton of money.

rickyb

You were lucky to get a mortgage under 10% in the 1980s. I remember bank CD rates of 7.5% in 1988.
my point is back then the economy was radically different than now.

without even looking it up people are far more indebted now (not just mortgage debts) than they were back then.

weve created a system of debt peonage.