I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

vantexan

why do you go after the poor first before the rich?

logically you would go after the rich abuses of welfare first

you are deep in the matrix my friend
That's easy. The rich take advantage of what's available to them to further their wealth. That creates jobs for the poor. As for the poor there are those in need of assistance for numerous reasons. Who do work or live on Social Security but it only goes so far and need help. Then there are those who game the system to live off it. The second group is a drain on the system. Make it much more difficult to be sustainable.

rickyb

That's easy. The rich take advantage of what's available to them to further their wealth. That creates jobs for the poor. As for the poor there are those in need of assistance for numerous reasons. Who do work or live on Social Security but it only goes so far and need help. Then there are those who game the system to live off it. The second group is a drain on the system. Make it much more difficult to be sustainable.
do not defend rich taking welfare.

btw what does welfare pay?

my mom doesnt work. my dad works maybe pt and doesnt earn too much. they rent out 5 br 2 bath. they own 3 mill in property plus several hundred k in stocks. the government pays dad 1700 a month in welfare, and mom 2000. what do you get?

vantexan

do not defend rich taking welfare.

btw what does welfare pay?

my mom doesnt work. my dad works maybe pt and doesnt earn too much. they rent out 5 br 2 bath. they own 3 mill in property plus several hundred k in stocks. the government pays dad 1700 a month in welfare, and mom 2000. what do you get?
I get nothing from government so far. If the Canadian government doesn't means test its recipients that's on them. When you mentioned the rich getting welfare I assumed you meant "corporate welfare." People who have the means your parents have in the States don't get welfare unless they are committing fraud and haven't been caught yet.

rickyb

I get nothing from government so far. If the Canadian government doesn't means test its recipients that's on them. When you mentioned the rich getting welfare I assumed you meant "corporate welfare." People who have the means your parents have in the States don't get welfare unless they are committing fraud and haven't been caught yet.
im talking about social security. that is their SS

im not a free market fundamentalist, but alarms go off when i hear wall st and big oil getting welfare. they are making the system less sustainable for the poor

vantexan

im not a free market fundamentalist, but alarms go off when i hear wall st and big oil getting welfare. they are making the system less sustainable for the poor
You didn't say Social Security, you said welfare. It may eventually come down to means testing in the U.S. but under our current system if you pay into the system for enough quarters you're entitled to a check. The wealthy contribute significantly more than an average worker.

vantexan

You're conflating corporate welfare with individual welfare. Two entirely different things.

rickyb

You didn't say Social Security, you said welfare. It may eventually come down to means testing in the U.S. but under our current system if you pay into the system for enough quarters you're entitled to a check. The wealthy contribute significantly more than an average worker.
the wealthy pay a smaller portion of their money than an average worker. its a regressive tax after a certain $xxx,xxx amount. there is a cap on it.

how much does average american get in social security?

i should say my parents live in vancouver and rent here is $3000 a month i think

vantexan

the wealthy pay a smaller portion of their money than an average worker. its a regressive tax after a certain $xxx,xxx amount. there is a cap on it.

how much does average american get in social security?

i should say my parents live in vancouver and rent here is $3000 a month i think
If it were up to me everyone would pay SS on all of their income. And not get SS if their net worth/income is above a certain amount and scaled down from there. But the fact remains until the law changes it's the way it is. And keep in mind that if they did do means testing that there are a lot less rich than poor. The poor wouldn't necessarily get more money. It would just help keep the system solvent.

rickyb

If it were up to me everyone would pay SS on all of their income. And not get SS if their net worth/income is above a certain amount and scaled down from there. But the fact remains until the law changes it's the way it is. And keep in mind that if they did do means testing that there are a lot less rich than poor. The poor wouldn't necessarily get more money. It would just help keep the system solvent.
yes it would keep the system solvent until 2070 something last i recall.

how much is median income earning getting in SS per month?