Is UPS going to go out of business?

Thebrownblob

Amazon doesn’t want UPS - why would they? A payout that is wishful thinking - pray for a good post Carol CEO - otherwise it’s a slow decade plus decline - think Yellow.
Certainly hope for a better CEO than Carol. But to pretend that UPS could even approach the level of incompetence of management at Yellow is laughable. Trust me.

rod

Retired 23 years
Just because something works now doesn't mean it will in the future.

Things change. Look how many big companies ended up going under. It happens.

At one time Sears was the KING of mail order ---everything from farm equipment, clothes, complete houses, guns, stoves. You could order it all from their 800 page catalog. If it was something the Post office wouldn't handle it would be delivered by Railway Express. Every town of any size on the rail lines had a Railway Express. RE is totally gone and Sears has just a few walk in stores left.

ManInBrown

At one time Sears was the KING of mail order ---everything from farm equipment, clothes, complete houses, guns, stoves. You could order it all from their 800 page catalog. If it was something the Post office wouldn't handle it would be delivered by Railway Express. Every town of any size on the rail lines had a Railway Express. RE is totally gone and Sears has just a few walk in stores left.
Sears sold material items. UPS sells nothing but a service. We move things. Apples and oranges. Don’t know why everyone compares the two.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sears sold material items. UPS sells nothing but a service. We move things. Apples and oranges. Don’t know why everyone compares the two.
No one is comparing what they do, but rather it's one example of a huge company going under. Guys retiring now couldn't imagine Sears not existing back when they started their careers, but just like that...gone.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
Failing to innovate and alienating the real customers for stock holders has been the downfall of many companies. Some others didn’t do anything wrong. Their products and service's just became irrelevant over time. UPS seems to want to set the standard for assuring their own downfall.

Over70irregs

Ever since the new contract I’ve heard my manager talking about how UPS isn’t too big to fail and how no one who is expecting to collect a pension from the company for the rest of their life is out of luck. I don’t know how the money is being managed but I hope the company doesn’t go out of business. How much longer do you think UPS will be around?
Till xmas…..

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Failing to innovate and alienating the real customers for stock holders has been the downfall of many companies. Some others didn’t do anything wrong. Their products and service's just became irrelevant over time. UPS seems to want to set the standard for assuring their own downfall.

Then they can get rid of the Teamsters..:kickedoutsmile:

Brownwind

Then they can get rid of the Teamsters..:kickedoutsmile:
Funny reply.

For the rest of the nay sayers I request you stop it. This is a joke thread started by someone who listened to a manager that doesn’t understand how the pension fund works. Just for giggles google how pensions work then look up your own pension fund. Most are solvent for about thirty years or so.

Johney

Pineapple King
No no no no no
They just want to do everything I can to trim the expensive last Mile and do things like transport packages for the Post office

Plus not have to spend money to expand facilities or buy new package cars.
They're closing facilities and have plenty of new bought package cars. Maybe not where you are , but they can transfer some in from other places. I've seen it happen.

muthatrucka

Funny reply.

For the rest of the nay sayers I request you stop it. This is a joke thread started by someone who listened to a manager that doesn’t understand how the pension fund works. Just for giggles google how pensions work then look up your own pension fund. Most are solvent for about thirty years or so.
I think ours is guaranteed to 2050 or something like that