Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Almost

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Playing lotto

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If someone has been at UPS over 30 years and does not have over 500 K in their 401(k) they’re really not doing something right
Yeah.....right. Kids like to eat at least 3 times a day and wear clothes when they leave the house. They need braces and glasses. They play sports. They want a car when they turn 16. They go to college.

I had one former single co-worker who will retire with over $1M in his 401k. He is clearly the exception.

Keep in mind that the average NYST pension is $5,500/month. Having that in your back pocket takes some of the emphasis off of maxing out the 401k. Kick in $2-4K, depending on when you start drawing, of SS and that is a fairly healthy retirement.

RMDs start in the year you turn 72. $500K/25 years (average life expectancy after 72) equals $20K/year.

Thebrownblob

Yeah.....right. Kids like to eat at least 3 times a day and wear clothes when they leave the house. They need braces and glasses. They play sports. They want a car when they turn 16. They go to college.

I had one former single co-worker who will retire with over $1M in his 401k. He is clearly the exception.

Keep in mind that the average NYST pension is $5,500/month. Having that in your back pocket takes some of the emphasis off of maxing out the 401k. Kick in $2-4K, depending on when you start drawing, of SS and that is a fairly healthy retirement.

RMDs start in the year you turn 72. $500K/25 years (average life expectancy after 72) equals $20K/year.
I’ve got three kids, my friend you don’t need to tell me, and somehow I managed

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’ve got three kids, my friend you don’t need to tell me, and somehow I managed
As did I. Keep in mind that I lost half of my $100K balance when I got divorced early in my career. I am actually proud of myself for having built that balance back up while dealing with the added expenses of child support and rent.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
It really isn't. My son is planning on having $1-2M in his when he retires. He does not have a pension so that would be his sole source of income until he starts drawing SS.
My son is maxing out his 401k right out of college. Frugal as hell. He will be fine.
My daughter on the other hand lives for today. Have some work to do with her.

clarnzz

We are blessed to have pension that equals over 500k in retirement savings, but Im still going to operate like our pension doesn’t even exist.

Thebrownblob

Being better than most idiots doesn’t mean everything is fine is what I’m struggling with.
Well, you can’t change the past and all of us have made mistakes with money but you can make it a priority now and it will get fixed as you get older. You can also put more money in your 401(k) and you should do you have the right attitude you will get this straightened out you’ll be surprised how many people I talk to you and saving anything nor are they even worried or thinking about it. That is clearly not you.