Jobs

texan

November 8, 2012[h=3]CVPH lays off 17 as part of fiscal belt-tightening[/h][h=4]No patient-care positions cutPLATTSBURGH — CVPH Medical Center has handed pink slips to 17 employees.
The layoffs — nine in management and eight hourly staffers — are part of an effort to “help bolster the hospital’s
financial position in 2013 and beyond,” the hospital said in a statement.

“We received direction from our Board of Directors to move forward in an in-depth and thoughtful fashion” to
determine which positions would be cut, CVPH President Stephens Mundy said in an interview.

“We made sure that we looked throughout the organization in making our decision.”

The management cuts included a top-level administrator, though Mundy would not name any specific
positions lost.

The hourly employees laid off included positions in human resources, information technology and
finances, he added.

None of the cuts were to direct caregivers, including the nursing staff.
[/h]

texan

Research in Motion cuts jobs at U.S. headquarters in Irving

Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S.
headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to a source close to the company who
did not want to be named.

Canada-based RIM spokesman Nick Manning confirmed that layoffs occurred in Irving but would not specify
how many. RIM employed about 700 people there.

Social media posts speculated that RIM had closed its Irving office, which opened in late 2007.

texan

Hawker Beechcraft plans to cut about 410 jobs

Hawker Beechcraft plans to cut about 410 jobs in four locations, including dozens of jobs in Wichita, the
company told employees in a letter Wednesday.

The company has begun the process of closing three Hawker Beechcraft Services facilities – in
Little Rock, San Antonio and Mesa, Ariz. – as it plans to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy as
a smaller, stand-alone company called Beechcraft Corp., the letter said.

Read more here: Hawker Beechcraft plans to cut about 410 jobs | Wichita Eagle

texan

CANOGA PARK - About 100 employees at Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, most of whom work in the San Fernando
Valley, were laid off Wednesday in response to dwindling government spending on space exploration, the
company said.

The layoffs were effective immediately, and 75 percent of them came at the facilities on Canoga and
De Soto avenues, which employ about 1,100 people.

The company has seven sites across the nation, including two in the Valley.

"The uncertain future of the space industry and current economic conditions have created an environment
where we must take these steps to ensure we remain competitive," the company said in a statement.

texan

Stanford brake plant to lay off 75

Parent company cites lower demand
By Scott Sloan — [email protected]

The leader of an automotive parts plant in Lincoln County has told state officials that there are plans to lay
off 75 workers starting in late December.

The layoffs at Brake Parts LLC were disclosed Oct. 29 in a filing that government officials require before
large layoffs.

The layoffs are expected to start Dec. 28 and continue in the first quarter of 2013, plant manager Janet Smith
wrote in the filing.

The site produces automobile and truck disc brakes, according to a directory of manufacturing plants maintained
by the state Cabinet for Economic Development.

It opened in 1989 and employed 365 people in 2011, according to the state.

texan

Husqvarna to Cut 600 Jobs as Garden-Tools Maker Seeks Savings

Husqvarna AB (HUSQB), the world’s biggest maker of powered garden tools, plans to cut about 600 jobs
in a move that will save 220 million kronor ($33 million) a year by 2014.

“The proposed measures aim to improve efficiency, reduce the fixed cost base and further increase
flexibility,” Chief Executive Officer Hans Linnarson said in a statement.

Almost half the job losses will come in Sweden, mainly in Huskvarna, where the company is based, it said.

The cuts will be carried out during the first six months of next year after negotiations with unions.
The cuts will cost about 250 million kronor to implement, which will be charged to fourth-quarter
operating income, the company said.

texan

Bristol-Myers to slash 480 sales-related jobs in NJ
Bristol-Myers Squibb ($BMY) is following up its lackluster third-quarter results with almost 480 layoffs.

As Pharmalot reports, the company notified the New Jersey government that it would scale back in
Plainsboro, which means the cuts will hit its sales operations.

The exact number of jobs to be cut, according to the state notification, is 479, Pharmalot reports.

The Plainsboro facility mostly revolves around training and administrative support for the sales force.

Bristol-Myers is, of course, not alone in announcing layoffs and cutbacks recently.

The most high-profile job-cutting plans are Sanofi's ($SNY) in France, where officials have not only
publicly denounced the cuts but persuaded the company to rewind at least some of them.

Other Big Pharmas with hundreds of cuts in the news recently include Abbott Laboratories ($ABT)
(550 across several business units), Pfizer ($PFE) (300, mostly in sales) and Johnson & Johnson ($JNJ)
(130 in Alzheimer's R&D).

Read more: Bristol-Myers to slash 480 sales-related jobs in NJ - FiercePharma Bristol-Myers to slash 480 sales-related jobs in NJ - FiercePharma

texan

Trumbull’s Oce laying off 135 in CT

Trumbull printer- and scanning-equipment provider Oce North America, Inc. will lay off 135 workers in three
Connecticut communities, including East Hartford, according to its notice with the state Labor Department.

The firm, a subsidiary of Dutch printing service provider Canon Group, will lay off 124 employees in Trumbull, 10
employees in Shelton, and one in East Hartford.

The layoffs will take place between Dec. 31 and Dec. 31, 2013. The types of employees range from clerical to
executive, said Oce spokesman Jim Magrone.

texan

Restaurant Chain Considering Elimination Of Full Time Jobs To Save On Obamacare Costs

In an experiment apparently aimed at keeping down the cost of health-care reform, Orlando-based
Darden Restaurants has stopped offering full-time schedules to many hourly workers in at least a
few Olive Gardens, Red Lobsters and LongHorn Steakhouses.

Darden said the test is taking place in “a select number” of restaurants in four markets, including
Central Florida, but would not give details.

The company said there has been no decision made about expanding it.

In an emailed statement, Darden said staffing changes are “just one of the many things we are evaluating
to help us address the cost implications health care reform will have on our business.

There are still many unanswered questions regarding the health care regulations and we simply do
not have enough information to make any decisions at this time.”

If they do not, the companies can face fines of up to $3,000 for each employee who then turns to
an exchange — an online marketplace — for insurance.

texan

Pepsi looking to layoff 4,000 workers

PepsiCo Inc. is considering to cut approximately 4,000 employees and reduce pension contributions in order
to increase their income.

Citing a source, reported the New York Post, quoted by Reuters on Friday (06.01.2012), currently the company offers
retirement plans and matching contributions to 401 thousand retirement savings account.

One of these large companies believe that by offering both of these is an act that is more generous.

Pepsi-party claims when 401 thousand by eliminating the retirement savings account that will save the
company up to USD75 million. The layoffs, accounting for approximately one percent more than the payroll
company, will include a small number of workers at its headquarters

texan

Update: AGC Flat Glass closing Kingsport plant

Update: 10:25 a.m.
AGC Glass North America is permanently shutting down its Blue Ridge Plant in Kingsport.

Company officials notified employees on Wednesday that the plant will be closed.

Most of the 70 employees were sent home, while a few remained to shut down the
production furnace and sell the remaining inventory. The plant produced glass for the solar industry.

texan

U.S. Cellular drops Chicago, cuts 640 local jobs

U.S. Cellular will sell markets including Chicago to units of Sprint Nextel Corp. for $480 million.

The move will result in 980 job cuts at U.S. Cellular, with 640 in the Chicago area, according to
a spokeswoman.

The cuts are slightly under 12 percent of the approximately 8,400 total employees U.S. Cellular
had at the end of the third quarter.

The company plans to keep its headquarters in Chicago

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

November 8, 2012CVPH lays off 17 as part of fiscal belt-tightening

No patient-care positions cutPLATTSBURGH — CVPH Medical Center has handed pink slips to 17 employees.
The layoffs — nine in management and eight hourly staffers — are part of an effort to “help bolster the hospital’s
financial position in 2013 and beyond,” the hospital said in a statement.

“We received direction from our Board of Directors to move forward in an in-depth and thoughtful fashion” to
determine which positions would be cut, CVPH President Stephens Mundy said in an interview.

“We made sure that we looked throughout the organization in making our decision.”

The management cuts included a top-level administrator, though Mundy would not name any specific
positions lost.

The hourly employees laid off included positions in human resources, information technology and
finances, he added.

None of the cuts were to direct caregivers, including the nursing staff.

This is in my hometown. The cuts were made in response to the Medicaid/Medicare reimbursement cuts put in place by Obamacare. As texan stated, there were no cuts made to those directly involved in patient care. The 17 employees laid off received a severance package which included healthcare through the end of the year. The hospital employees 2300 people so 17 is a very small percentage.

M

MenInBrown

This is in my hometown. The cuts were made in response to the Medicaid/Medicare reimbursement cuts put in place by Obamacare. As texan stated, there were no cuts made to those directly involved in patient care. The 17 employees laid off received a severance package which included healthcare through the end of the year. The hospital employees 2300 people so 17 is a very small percentage.

still a negative which I guess americans have become fine with.

texan

Vegas Employer: Obama Won, So I Fired 22 Employees

LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas) — A Las Vegas buisness owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently
as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5

XNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.”

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote.
I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be
president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first.

I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that made sure they were paid.

And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced
to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

Well unfortunately, and most of my employees are Hispanic — I’m not gonna go into what kind of company
I have, but I have mostly Hispanic employees — well unfortunately we know what happened and I can’t wait
around anymore, I have to be proactive.

I had to lay off 22 people today to make sure that my business is gonna thrive and I’m gonna be around for
years to come. I have to build up that nest egg now for the taxes and regulations that are coming my way.

I’m just one guy with 114 employees — well was 114 employees — watch what happens in the next six months.
The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had
consequences, just wait.”
Vegas Employer: Obama Won, So I Fired 22 Employees CBS Las Vegas