Jobs

texan

Murray Energy Corp. CEO Enters 'Survival Mode' After Obama Reelection, Announces Layoffs

With President Obama sticking around for another four years, Murray Energy Corp. CEO Robert Murray
has entered “survival mode,” announcing Wednesday that more than 160 employees at various subsidiaries
will be laid off, in part due to Obama-related regulations and taxes, WTOV reports.

Murray outlined his views in a letter to employees, which included theories including that a new carbon
tax will subsidize Obama supporters and lead to the "total destruction of the coal industry," perhaps by 2030.

Murray Energy Corp. CEO Enters 'Survival Mode' After Obama Reelection, Announces Layoffs

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think we have plenty of natural gas to screw coal producers like Murray. Besides, it's cleaner.

Obviously, you've nevr lived in coal country where eveybody.......I mean everybody is tied to the local mines. Maybe your dad is a miner and your uncles too.
Maybe older brothers are managers at the mine. Your Grandpa is a partner and worked his way up from a miner.
Did you ever know a Company Store or just what Tennessee Ernie Ford sings about.

Coal Communities have voluteer fire departments and families can hold wedding receptions at the local VFW hall or at the fire station.

So screwing the coal companies is much more far reaching than your flippant comments. There are supporting businesses and families who depend on those mines.

The fireworks of parts of PA. used to be the coke ovens burning and visible at night.........kids thought that was their fireworks every night.

Lots of people depend on the coal companies.......real people!!

bbsam

Staff member
Well if coal can't sustain itself and Murray wants to bend their people over because of it, so be it. Around here, John Deere is one of the biggest employers. In the 80's we had Case, IH, and Farmall. Farming was huge and with the crisis of that decade, alot of jobs were lost. We are still here.

I have this conversation with Express people all the time. Markets change. Ground is gaining momentum as Express slows. Same with energy. Alot of electric power plants are converting to natural gas. It's cheaper and cleaner. Bad for coal, god for gas producers.

texan

What about the 600K unfilled manufacturing jobs wkmac spoke of in another thread?

The other part of unemployment: 600,000 unfilled jobs because workers lack basic skills like answering
the telephone properly or staying drug free.

At a recent dinner in Washington, D.C., with representatives from major American manufacturing companies, I
listened as the talk turned to how hard it is to find qualified applicants for jobs.

"What exactly are the skills you can't find?" I asked, imagining that openings for high-tech positions went begging
because, as we hear so often, the training of the U.S. workforce doesn't match up well with current corporate needs.

One of the representatives looked sheepishly around the room and responded: "To be perfectly honest . . . we
have a hard time finding people who can pass the drug test." Several other reps gave a knowing nod.

Applicants were often so underqualified, they said, that simply finding someone who could properly
answer the telephone was sometimes a challenge.

But considerable evidence suggests that many employers would be happy just to find job applicants who
have the sort of "soft" skills that used to be almost taken for granted.

In the Manpower Group's 2012 Talent Shortage Survey, nearly 20% of employers cited a lack of soft skills
as a key reason they couldn't hire needed employees. "Interpersonal skills and enthusiasm/motivation" were
among the most commonly identified soft skills that employers found lacking.

Employers also mention a lack of elementary command of the English language.

A survey in April of human-resources professionals conducted by the Society for Human
Resource Management and the AARP compared the skills gap between older workers who were
nearing retirement and younger workers coming into the labor pool.

More than half of the organizations surveyed reported that simple grammar and spelling were the
top "basic" skills among older workers that are not readily present among younger workers.

The SHRM/AARP survey also found that "professionalism" or "work ethic" is the top "applied" skill
that younger workers lack.
Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: The other part of unemployment: 600,000 unfilled jobs because workers lack basic skills like answering the telephone properly or staying drug free.

So after reading the above, the years and years of video games, TV, electronics, lack of parental
involvement, lack of role models that have substance, lack of morals and ethics, has taken it's toll.

bluehdmc

Research in Motion cuts jobs at U.S. headquarters in Irving

Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S.
headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to a source close to the company who
did not want to be named.

Canada-based RIM spokesman Nick Manning confirmed that layoffs occurred in Irving but would not specify
how many. RIM employed about 700 people there.

Social media posts speculated that RIM had closed its Irving office, which opened in late 2007.

I think the Iphone, Android and other really smart phones is what has affected RIM, but what the hey, "Blame it on Obama."

CANOGA PARK - About 100 employees at Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, most of whom work in the San Fernando
Valley, were laid off Wednesday in response to dwindling government spending on space exploration, the
company said.

The layoffs were effective immediately, and 75 percent of them came at the facilities on Canoga and
De Soto avenues, which employ about 1,100 people.

The company has seven sites across the nation, including two in the Valley.

"The uncertain future of the space industry and current economic conditions have created an environment
where we must take these steps to ensure we remain competitive," the company said in a statement.

Gee, we talk about the National Debt, but lets spend billions of dollars going to Mars!

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm sorry. That's just stupid. I'm willing to bet most people here learned how to read and write in public schools.

I can't speak for all, but I had basic reading/writing comprehension before I went to school, and spent 9 years in a private school. When I went to public school starting in high school the first year and some I only learned things in elective classes. As far as core classes they introduced no new material for me until sometime in my 2nd year of public schooling. Man I read a lot of books during class to keep from sleeping.