Longshoremen’s Strike

Thebrownblob

I’m just pointing out some of the problems that concern me. Do MAGA Republicans never complain about the country? All I hear from their candidate is doom and gloom nonsense.

Come to think of it, didn’t Donald Trump promise to leave the country if Joe Biden won the 2020 election? I think he did. No, I KNOW he did.
The constitution concerns you? You measure yourself by the people you distain? That’s strange.

Thebrownblob

The EC was a compromise to get the slaving south to sign onto the Constitution. Three-Fifths Compromise, etc. It’s a sad legacy that I hope America has the courage to change in the future.
“The Founding Fathers established the Electoral College in the Constitution, in part, as a compromise between the election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of qualified citizens.”

Thebrownblob

I’d like to see some changes happen. You know, to make our union more perfect like the founders envisioned. But I don’t call for the termination of anything, only revision. Trump is the one who wants termination.
What you call revision and other people call termination sound the same. You are exactly like what you said you hate me even worse. Thankfully, you’re in charge of nothing.

Next Day Err

“The Founding Fathers established the Electoral College in the Constitution, in part, as a compromise between the election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of qualified citizens.”

Incomplete telling of history by leaving out the Three-fifths Compromise.

vantexan

Incomplete telling of history by leaving out the Three-fifths Compromise.
Which was done away with long ago yet is held over the heads of present day whites as proof of our inherent racism. A lot of European migration happened after the Civil War yet today's Caucasian is made to feel like a bonafide racist if he's not constantly saying the right things to prove that he's not. And only has to jump through those hoops because it's the only subject politically that Democrats get any traction on besides abortion. Must be exhausting to be constantly demanding where someone stands on racial issues.

Pullman Brown

Tell us how the Electoral College came to be, then.
Originally the electors would be selected by state legislatures. The people choose the state representatives then the states would choose the president essentially. The States( Federalism) are the critical element to choosing the president not the National Popular Vote Bill. George Mason” it would be as unnatural to refer the choice of a proper character for chief Magistrate to the people, as it would, to refer a trial of colours to a blind man. The extent of the Country renders it impossible that the people can have the requisite capacity to judge of the respective pretensions of the Candidates.”

Very few members of the founding generation considered the American people as an amorphous “people”; they were the people of the STATES, and the state have a clear role in the Constitution from the beginning to end, including the selection of the President.