Meaningless Fluff

rod

Retired 23 years
I've got a brother-in-law who used to own one of those rip off quicky-lube type of places. He told me that he got fairly rich selling light bulbs that cost him 25 cents to people for 5 to 7 bucks each. VERY FEW people got out of there with just an oil change.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've got a brother-in-law who used to own one of those rip off quicky-lube type of places. He told me that he got fairly rich selling light bulbs that cost him 25 cents to people for 5 to 7 bucks each. VERY FEW people got out of there with just an oil change.

I will sit in the waiting room and cringe when the technician (salesman) will target and try to upsell unsuspecting car owners, turning a simple oil change in to a very expensive, and often unnecessary, repair.

The problem lies in the convenience of these quick lube places. Our schedules make it very difficult to get our cars serviced at the dealerships so we spend part of our Saturday mornings getting the oil changed.

I will sit in the waiting room and cringe when the technician (salesman) will target and try to upsell unsuspecting car owners, turning a simple oil change in to a very expensive, and often unnecessary, repair.

The problem lies in the convenience of these quick lube places. Our schedules make it very difficult to get our cars serviced at the dealerships so we spend part of our Saturday mornings getting the oil changed.

Our dealerships have gone to split repair dept/scheduled maintenance dept. The maintenance depts are open till 2 or so on sat. One dealer started it and the rest followed suit.

There's always the smaller repair shops. Cheaper than a dealer and while possibly more than a Quik-e-lube at least they'll have an idea of what they're doing. Most if not all have Sat hours. Plus odd are being a small business the owner is on site if not the guy doing the actual work.

oldngray

nowhere special
There's always the smaller repair shops. Cheaper than a dealer and while possibly more than a Quik-e-lube at least they'll have an idea of what they're doing. Most if not all have Sat hours. Plus odd are being a small business the owner is on site if not the guy doing the actual work.

Those small shops are the ones I go to. They care more about doing the job right and I prefer to support a small local business like that.

I still have 2 1/2 years on the power train warranty on my Tacoma, so I will stick with Toyota's recommended 5k change interval. It takes 0W-20 oil, which I am fairly sure is a full synthetic. Once I go out of warranty, I plan to start stretching the interval to 7.5k since most of my driving is in town.
The Tacoma is a handsome liking truck.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
When we purchased my Frontier, at the end of the month in March 2007, sales were sluggish and they had to bribe us to complete the sale.

They threw in a 48 month oil change plan, bed extender and cover. At first they thought we would budge for an iPod, I shot that down because I am addicted to my Sirius radio.

I have a 2007 White Frontier LE 4wd / 4 door with bed extender. It now has 38,000 miles on it and unless hubby gets me a big-a@@ Titan with a Rockford Fosgate stereo system - I refuse to trade my big fluffy marshmallow in for anything.

I love my Nissan.

Note: previous GM girl. I had extra $$ and GM stock was low and I purchased it. I believed I could not lose with that stock buy. Well I did. GM is now banished from my life.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Maybe its changed but the last time I checked stats the Tacoma fell far behind in the "towing capabilities" dept.

I don't tow, so it doesn't matter to me. My old Nissan 'hardbody' was an honest-to-God 3/4 ton truck that I once had loaded with 2700 lbs of stone.:surprised:

I don't expect the Tacoma to do that, and I don't plan to try. It works for what I want, and that's good enough for me.

rod

Retired 23 years
I don't tow, so it doesn't matter to me. My old Nissan 'hardbody' was an honest-to-God 3/4 ton truck that I once had loaded with 2700 lbs of stone.:surprised:

I don't expect the Tacoma to do that, and I don't plan to try. It works for what I want, and that's good enough for me.

If it does what you need it to that's all good. I do a lot of towing so I have to watch what I have.