Meaningless Fluff

Johney

Pineapple King
Turns out that Jiffy Lube was not entirely truthful with me. I spoke to the service rep at the Nissan dealership and he told me that Nissan recommends the use of synthetic oil but that it is not required. He also gave me an "you should have had it done here"----he's right but their service hours do not work well with my schedule. So an oil change that should have cost me $24.99 plus tax cost me $73.99 (after $10 coupon) plus tax.

Lesson learned.

Now that I have used synthetic oil do I have to continue using it or can I go back to conventional oil without causing damage to the engine?
Be very cautious of those 30 minute oil change places. I have seen more than a fare share of horror stories from those places. From not putting the plug in tight,stripping it or putting power steering fluid in the brake reservoir to top it off.

Turns out that Jiffy Lube was not entirely truthful with me. I spoke to the service rep at the Nissan dealership and he told me that Nissan recommends the use of synthetic oil but that it is not required. He also gave me an "you should have had it done here"----he's right but their service hours do not work well with my schedule. So an oil change that should have cost me $24.99 plus tax cost me $73.99 (after $10 coupon) plus tax.

Lesson learned.

Now that I have used synthetic oil do I have to continue using it or can I go back to conventional oil without causing damage to the engine?

You do not have to stick with synthetic but the price is worth it. Fossil (standard) oils do eventually break down, don't stand up to higher sustained temps, and their viscosity varies (even the multi-viscosity) because of engine temp. Synthetic will withstand much higher temps, it's viscosity is stable across the heat ranges, and doesn't break down anywhere near the amount a fossil oil will.

With an extended performance oil and it's accompanying performance filter you could go as high as 15k miles which is what Mobil 1 guarantees their EP oil to hold up. My drive is all highway which is easier on oil and I used to go 5k miles but now I'm using the Mobil products and will take it to 10k miles. I changed my last batch to check it at 7500 miles and it was still amber so I'll push it to 10k this time.

As far as the cost, Autozone by me is running a special for Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter for $37. That and its extended range more than make it affordable. Especially if you're going to keep it.

You do not have to stick with synthetic but the price is worth it. Fossil (standard) oils do eventually break down, don't stand up to higher sustained temps, and their viscosity varies (even the multi-viscosity) because of engine temp. Synthetic will withstand much higher temps, it's viscosity is stable across the heat ranges, and doesn't break down anywhere near the amount a fossil oil will.

With an extended performance oil and it's accompanying performance filter you could go as high as 15k miles which is what Mobil 1 guarantees their EP oil to hold up. My drive is all highway which is easier on oil and I used to go 5k miles but now I'm using the Mobil products and will take it to 10k miles. I changed my last batch to check it at 7500 miles and it was still amber so I'll push it to 10k this time.

As far as the cost, Autozone by me is running a special for Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter for $37. That and its extended range more than make it affordable. Especially if you're going to keep it.
I keep my cars forever and swear by this.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I still have 2 1/2 years on the power train warranty on my Tacoma, so I will stick with Toyota's recommended 5k change interval. It takes 0W-20 oil, which I am fairly sure is a full synthetic. Once I go out of warranty, I plan to start stretching the interval to 7.5k since most of my driving is in town.

rod

Retired 23 years
I still have 2 1/2 years on the power train warranty on my Tacoma, so I will stick with Toyota's recommended 5k change interval. It takes 0W-20 oil, which I am fairly sure is a full synthetic. Once I go out of warranty, I plan to start stretching the interval to 7.5k since most of my driving is in town.

Actually "in town" miles are harder on a car than highway miles. I would stick with 5,000 at the most if that's the kind of driving you do.

I have 4 years and 66k left on my bumper to bumper warranty. I don't worry about the Ford recommendation as I know I am EXCEEDING those requirements. Failure to honor the warranty when recommendations/requirements are met is a violation of federal law under the Moss-Magnuson Act.

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Actually "in town" miles are harder on a car than highway miles. I would stick with 5,000 at the most if that's the kind of driving you do.

Actually, using the OEM filter, the oil still looks clean at 5k. I suppose I could send out a sample to have it checked.

And, during golf season, it gets a bunch more highway miles.:cool-little:

I have 4 years and 66k left on my bumper to bumper warranty. I don't worry about the Ford recommendation as I know I am EXCEEDING those requirements. Failure to honor the warranty when recommendations/requirements are met is a violation of federal law under the Moss-Magnuson Act.

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Yeah, I know about Moss-Magnuson. It's just easy to follow their recommendations until I'm out of warranty.

Actually, using the OEM filter, the oil still looks clean at 5k. I suppose I could send out a sample to have it checked.

And, during golf season, it gets a bunch more highway miles.:cool-little:

Yeah, I know about Moss-Magnuson. It's just easy to follow their recommendations until I'm out of warranty.

You can follow their recommendations but just use better products.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You can follow their recommendations but just use better products.

Actually, from all I've read, the OEM Toyota filter is as good if not better than most of the after-market filters.

And, my dealer uses Mobil 1 as their shop oil.

I'm good.

Returntosender

Lesson learned.

Thats not the only thing they will try and ripoff on.
A few years ago I had to change front brakes. The automotive store sales rep said i have to use OEM ceramic pads. I told them semi metallic is fine. They always try and upselll you.