movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see Book of Eli today as we didn't get to go on Saturday. As cach said, several twists at the end. Very good movie but one that can wait for the DVD or Netflix.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see Extraordinary Measures today. Great movie which is based on a real life story. Harrison Ford and Brandon Fraser work well together in this one. Definitely add this one to your Netflix rental list.

moreluck

golden ticket member
One of the Hollywood magazines said Brendon Fraser was really intimidated by the likeS Of Ford. He was so in awe of Ford that he was botching his lines.

One of his lines had some hard to remember medicaL TERMS IN IT AND HARRISON WROTE DOWN THE TERMS ON DUCT TAPE AND PUT IT ON HIS FOREHEAD WHEN HIS BACK WAS TO THE CAMERA.....IT MADE FRASER RELAXED AND HARRISON WANTED HIM TO RELAX AROUND HIM.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Watched Terminator: Salvation last night. I remember the reviews weren't all that great, but they didn't really make clear to me how bad this movie was. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the Hollywood magazines said Brendon Fraser was really intimidated by the likeS Of Ford. He was so in awe of Ford that he was botching his lines.

It's funny you mention this as Brandon did appear to be a bit nervous in some of the scenes with Harrison but it does not take away from the movie one bit. Harrison portrays a typical research scientist, used to dealing with raw data, not people, while Brandon portrays a businessman, strong people skills with little substance. Save this one for a rainy Saturday night when you want to curl up on the couch wrapped in a blanket with your favorite beverage and a box of Kleenex.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see "Edge of Darkness" today. Excellent movie with a lot of plot twists. You have to pay attention during this one. Surround sound would add to the viewing experience but you can enjoy it just as well at home.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We finally saw Avatar today, Imax 3d. I was so distracted by the 3d it was hard to get that suspension of disbelief thing going and get lost in the movie. Maybe it's just me... but this movie had way too many 3d gimmicks.

I really liked the whole Pandora world thing, that was really cool and fun to watch. In my opinion the rest of the 3d stuff that we saw in the Imax versioin were unnecessary and just kept screaming about how many 3d tricks they could do.

moreluck

golden ticket member
And now, according to the news you'll get depressed and have suicidal tendencies. Oh well, it's Avatar or Chantix.....you can't win!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We finally saw Avatar today, Imax 3d. I was so distracted by the 3d it was hard to get that suspension of disbelief thing going and get lost in the movie. Maybe it's just me... but this movie had way too many 3d gimmicks.

I really liked the whole Pandora world thing, that was really cool and fun to watch. In my opinion the rest of the 3d stuff that we saw in the Imax versioin were unnecessary and just kept screaming about how many 3d tricks they could do.
This is the very reason I won't be seeing avatart.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Cheryl, while it did have some 3d things floating aorund during the movie, it didnt have any of that right in your face 3d where it appears its coming right out of the screen at you. Thats the 3d im not big on. My son loved the movie, and I liked it, the story. But the graphics, colors and imagination used in it was probably the best I have ever seen.

My wife wants to see that paranormal one, Im not big on horror or ghost stories so wish me luck, she just walked in with it. I might be on BC all night to scared to sleep! lol

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Watched Inglourious Basterds last night, it was ok. Parts of it were extremely well done, but I'm kind of ambivalent about the wholesale re-writing of history.

Watched Amelia and thought it was pretty good. Hillary Swank pulls off looking like the real Amelia Earhart quite well.
Also rented The Invention of Lying and found humor in that one,good for the cynic at heart.
Watched The Road online. Not as much depth as the book,heartbreaking none the less.