movie review

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've had a pretty decent home theater set up for a while, but I've upgraded it this year courtesy of all the OT I'm getting :happy-very:. With the right supporting equipment Blu Ray is a huge step up in both picture and sound quality, much more than I thought it would be.
Now I've just been adding movies from CNET's top 40 Blu Ray list to my netflix account. Both Master and Commander and Minority Report were excellent, even if you've already seen them. The battle scenes in Master and Commander were just phenomenal in full surround sound, my living room was shaking every time a cannon went off :happy2:.
I guess I need to upgrade my Betamax and Atari 6400.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son took me to see Toy Story 3 for Father's Day. There was a cartoon short called Night and Day which was very well done. The movie itself was excellent with enough subtle humor to keep the grownups laughing. We went to the regular version as we didn't think that seeing it in 3-D would have made that much difference. This one is a must see but not necessarily at the theater, especially if you have Blu-Ray, as there are no special effects or surround sound.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My son took me to see Toy Story 3 for Father's Day. There was a cartoon short called Night and Day which was very well done. The movie itself was excellent with enough subtle humor to keep the grownups laughing. We went to the regular version as we didn't think that seeing it in 3-D would have made that much difference. This one is a must see but not necessarily at the theater, especially if you have Blu-Ray, as there are no special effects or surround sound.
I took my girls to see this one also. We never bother with 3D because of the coast factor. I enjoyed the night and day short, as well, and ironically it was happening right next to us. There was a man with 2 small boys seated next to us. The elder child kept asking why did that happen Daddy, or why this why that? I found it amusing because my girls have never done that, thus the night and day correlation.

We really enjoyed the main movie and I actually had tears in my eyes towards the ending.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today, my hubby golfed with the stunt driver from Knight & Day. He has been in Seville Spain for the past 6-8 weeks while they were filming. He said that even though Tom Cruise acts crazy at times, that he was great to the fans. He gave autographs on breaks and visited with the fans and he said he was a genuinely nice guy.

He then said that on a Martin Lawrence set, he was awful. He had his 'people' tell the crowd gathered during his filming not to look him in the eyes. That's a Barbara Streisand rule.

Sometimes these stars forget who made them famous....FANS!!!

Watched "Unthinkable" on the internet. It`s a heartwarming story of a homegrown terrorist,his captors,and a pair of pliers. The politicos in the group will love it.

ups1990

I took my girls to see this one also. We never bother with 3D because of the coast factor. I enjoyed the night and day short, as well, and ironically it was happening right next to us. There was a man with 2 small boys seated next to us. The elder child kept asking why did that happen Daddy, or why this why that? I found it amusing because my girls have never done that, thus the night and day correlation.

We really enjoyed the main movie and I actually had tears in my eyes towards the ending.
We saw this one today as well. I saw many grown men with watery eyes, how could we not, right? It was Fathers Day and we got some lovely cards from our children along with some hugs. So the day started emotionally for us. After all, when it's all said and done what do we have left? Memories.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We saw this one today as well. I saw many grown men with watery eyes, how could we not, right? It was Fathers Day and we got some lovely cards from our children along with some hugs. So the day started emotionally for us. After all, when it's all said and done what do we have left? Memories.
[video=youtube;GNEcQS4tXgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ[/video]

bigbrownhen

We had a "family date" today. Hubby and I took the 4yr old to see Toy Story 3. I agree with the others, it is just as good as the other two.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just watched "Crazy Heart", excellent movie! Not what you want to watch if you're in the mood for action, but Jeff Bridges gives a great performance as an aging country star.

over9five

Staff member
Saw "The Book of Eli" last night. Not one of Denzels best movies, but entertaining enough if there's nothing else to do. I'll give it a 7.9

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were talking about this movie at work the other day (we all felt the same as Over) and then tried to decide which of his movies was his best. I thought "Training Day" (the unrated version) was the best with John Q a close second.

Today was the first day of my vacation and I went to see "Knight and Day". Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz work well together and have good chemistry. There was one point in the movie where he gave a pose which was right off the cover of "Risky Business". It was a good movie but not one to make a special trip to the theater to see.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I didn't think Man on Fire was one of DW best movies either. I loved Remember the Titans and The Bone Collector. I went to the theatre to see The Hurricane not knowing exactly what it was about. It was a very good movie.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I didn't like Man on Fire because it completely butchered the book, which was excellent. DW was good in it though because he's good in pretty much everything. Out of Time was another good one.

rod

Retired 23 years
still hasn't been a good movie since:

[video=youtube;jw7ajsKmbd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw7ajsKmbd4[/video]

moreluck

golden ticket member
Watched Shutter Island the other night. I liked it. I'm a Scorsese fan anyway.
It was also my first "Red Box" experience. The grocery store issued a free movie coupon, so I tried it.