movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just came back from watching "The Karate Kid". Excellent movie--better than the original. I will caution anyone who may find it difficult to watch 12 year old boys beat the crap out of each other to pass on this one. The initial culture shock and eventual acclimation are worth watching in and of itself.

There is an interesting twist on the "wax on/wax off" training technique.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Watched "Alice in Wonderland" last night, not bad at all though the wrap up was pretty hokey. Johnny Depp has crazy down pat.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented and watched "Wolfman". I liked it. The only thing is I thought they would have advanced a lot more digitally with the transforming of man to wolf. The Blue Moon transformation is still a good one.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Watched "Alice in Wonderland" last night, not bad at all though the wrap up was pretty hokey. Johnny Depp has crazy down pat.
And this is the reason I don't like his acting. I like when actors "act", not do the same thing.

Rented and watched "Wolfman". I liked it. The only thing is I thought they would have advanced a lot more digitally with the transforming of man to wolf. The Blue Moon transformation is still a good one.

I meant "werewolf in london"
I totally understood you in your first post. That was my favorite, as well.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
And this is the reason I don't like his acting. I like when actors "act", not do the same thing.
I think your dislike might be misdirected, as ultimately he's just giving the director what he wants. I do think that he got picked to play the Mad Hatter based on his nutty portrayal of Capt Jack Sparrow, but that's more an issue of him being typecast than him not being able to act as it pretty clearly wasn't a stretch for him.
He's had some pretty hefty dramatic roles and been consistently excellent in them.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
We saw "Grown Ups" today and it was a series of One-Liners.
The plot was solid, good acting :happy-very: by Penelope Cruz and the Blonde girl...
It's worth waiting for the Discount Theaters... It will funny; but Sandler makes some very funny One-Liners.

tourists24

I think your dislike might be misdirected, as ultimately he's just giving the director what he wants. I do think that he got picked to play the Mad Hatter based on his nutty portrayal of Capt Jack Sparrow, but that's more an issue of him being typecast than him not being able to act as it pretty clearly wasn't a stretch for him.
He's had some pretty hefty dramatic roles and been consistently excellent in them.
u sure its not from his portrayal of Willy Wonka? lol

moreluck

golden ticket member
First encountered Johnny Depp in What's Eating Gilbert Grape....with a very young DiCaprio too. Later in Edward Scissorhands. The guy is bizarro-world material.....trying to be like Chaplain. I really haven't liked any of his movies. Willy Wonka will always be Gene Wilder to me. Donnie Brasco was the best for me from Depp.

We saw "Grown Ups" today and it was a series of One-Liners.
The plot was solid, good acting :happy-very: by Penelope Cruz and the Blonde girl...
It's worth waiting for the Discount Theaters... It will funny; but Sandler makes some very funny One-Liners.

Uh, thats Salma Hayek and Maria Bello. Get your smoking hot women straight,will ya.:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I didn't mean to say that I don't like his acting, Jonesy, it's just that he seems to love the creepy/cooky bent. Headless Horseman, Willie Wonka, Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Carribean. Those are all very similar characters. Time to start shopping for different scripts and directors.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just got back from watching Inception, if you've got some free time this weekend do yourself a favor and go see this. Very cool movie and very well made.
[video=youtube;z75o-F6ja2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75o-F6ja2I[/video]

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jones, I just walked in from watching Inception and, wow, that was some weird ****. It was nice to see Ellen Page (Juno) in a serious role. I will have to watch that one again as I am sure there were some things that I missed. Great special effects.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones, I just walked in from watching Inception and, wow, that was some weird ****. It was nice to see Ellen Page (Juno) in a serious role. I will have to watch that one again as I am sure there were some things that I missed. Great special effects.
We saw it in IMAX and it was pretty stunning. I thought the plot was very original and yes it was some weird ****. First time in quite a while that I've been watching a movie and didn't want it to end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We saw it in IMAX and it was pretty stunning. I thought the plot was very original and yes it was some weird ****. First time in quite a while that I've been watching a movie and didn't want it to end.

You saw it in IMAX?? All you needed was to have just the slightest buzz going and you would have been all set.:wink2:

I was surprised when I turned my cell phone back on that 2 1/2 hours had elapsed. I also didn't want it to end.

I`ve always felt Ellen Page is an excellent actor for someone her age. I always recommend the movie "Hard Candy" for anyone wanting to see her at her best.