movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saw "Secretariat" this afternoon. If you are looking for a movie that the whole family can see that is not animated then this is the movie for you. No sex, violence, drugs, or action sequences, yet the 133 minutes flew by. Well written and expertly cast. A must see.

This movie was set in the early '70s and it always amazes me how the studios are able to ensure that all of the props are time appropriate. Rotary dial phones, tape recorders, plaid pants, and the original VW Beetle.

I should admit that I have always had a thing for Diane Lane. I like her smile and her eyes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I read a review for "Stone" with Robert DeNiro & Edward Norton (I like Norton). It said it was a "rock solid thriller". Somebody who sees it, let us know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I went to see "Social Network" this afternoon. The actor who portrayed Mark Zuckerberg did an outstanding job. It was a well-scripted look behind the phenomenon known as facebook. Justin Timberlake and Rashida Jones (The Office) both give strong performances.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The actor who portrayed him was Jessie Eisenberg and his sister is the one in this commercial from awhile back.....see the resemblance?

[video=youtube;0LnJskwydvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnJskwydvM[/video]

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched "Date Night" the other night, I wouldn't call it a great comedy because it was kind of uneven, but parts of it were just hilarious. Worth a netflix rental.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Saw "Red" today, it wasn't Oscar materiel but it was a lot of fun. John Malkovich plays a good crazy guy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I saw "Life As We Know It" yesterday. Very good movie with a predictable "surprise" ending. Couple of curse words which really did not need to be used. For example, in the previews when Katherine Heigel comes down the stairs with poop on her face, the lady points out that she has "poo" on her face but in the movie she uses the word ":censored2:" instead. Heigel and Duhamel work well together, the supporting cast is strong and the script is solid. Add this one to your Netflix.

bigbrownhen

We went to see Legends of the Guardians. Animated owl movie. The plot is good, but not really for little ones, and some of the scenes are a tad scary. I recomend this for kids over 8. My college kid and his friends loved it as well. Overall, it may be animated but it is intended for an older audience.

wkmac

Saw the 2009' film, "The Only Good Indian" last night which is about an native american boy taken from his parents to be educated in the white man's ways in an institution more like a prison than anything else. The movie is actually based on a true gov't policy used both by the US and Canada in the late 19th and into the 20th century. The young indian boy character escaped from the priso.....uh school and then was later captured by an indian detective played by Wes Studi who I'm a big fan of his work. The movie is about Studi's character who wanted that big capture to help him become a Pinkerton agent yet is conflicted by his own heritage. He also was hunted and haunted by a white sheriff as the nemesis who was fighting his own demons of conflict. The sheriff and Studi's character also shared a history on opposite side of the infamous Sand Creek Massacre.

The movie also reminded me of a book I got from the school library in the mid 60's entitled "When the Legends Die" by Hal Borland and also made into a movie starring Richard Widmark and Frederic Forrest.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Saw the 2009' film, "The Only Good Indian" last night which is about an native american boy taken from his parents to be educated in the white man's ways in an institution more like a prison than anything else. The movie is actually based on a true gov't policy used both by the US and Canada in the late 19th and into the 20th century. The young indian boy character escaped from the priso.....uh school and then was later captured by an indian detective played by Wes Studi who I'm a big fan of his work. The movie is about Studi's character who wanted that big capture to help him become a Pinkerton agent yet is conflicted by his own heritage. He also was hunted and haunted by a white sheriff as the nemesis who was fighting his own demons of conflict. The sheriff and Studi's character also shared a history on opposite side of the infamous Sand Creek Massacre.

The movie also reminded me of a book I got from the school library in the mid 60's entitled "When the Legends Die" by Hal Borland and also made into a movie starring Richard Widmark and Frederic Forrest.
That's going on my netflix list.
I like Wes Studi as well. I've always thought that his portrayal of Magua in The Last of the Mohicans was the signature performance in a great movie. If native american history interests you this is an excellent book.
Last night we watched The Secret of Kells, a very cool animated film. IF you have any Irish in you or you're just interested in some of the history it's well worth watching.

wkmac

That's going on my netflix list.
I like Wes Studi as well. I've always thought that his portrayal of Magua in The Last of the Mohicans was the signature performance in a great movie. If native american history interests you this is an excellent book.
Last night we watched The Secret of Kells, a very cool animated film. IF you have any Irish in you or you're just interested in some of the history it's well worth watching.

You are about the 5th person to suggest Empire of the Summer Moon so maybe I just need to breakdown and get that book. Also I'll check out Secret of Kells as my heritage is Highand Scot so the celtic connection is very strong.

My favorite work of Studi's was Geronimo, American Legend and although the movie was loosely based, he humanized a persona who had so often been dehumanized or glamourized for the wrong reasons. Geronimo was no saint but he was no demon either, just a man. When Studi through the Geronimo character spoke of his wife and daughters being killed by the Mexican army, which is true of the real Geronimo, you began to understand and see Goyakla (Geronimo's real name) as a human and empathize. You also ask yourself, what would I have thought and done if that happened to me?

As for Studi in "The Only Good Indian" his character was doing everything he could to be the whitest white man he could be and you see the moral conflict he goes through as the movie progresses. Watching Sam (Studi) and Sheriff McCoy (Campbell) come face to face with their demons that began in the violence of Sand Creek was to me the more interesting backstory of the movie.

On a completely different movie note, (2 movies actually) have you ever seen the movie Mindwalk? It's a purely thinking film with no frills or thrills but it's always been a film I enjoyed from the standpoint of provoking thought and thinking in many different directions. If you haven't seen it, it's free on google video and I'd strongly encourage you to take about 2 hours and check it out. The second movie is "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" which is just over an hour long and free on the internet. Follows a heavy metal band in Iraq that started under the Saddam era and what they went through as of 2006'/2007' period. It's another example of how muslims dress too!
:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is cold and raining so I went to see "Get Low". Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray and the quarterback from Friday Night Lights. Robert Duvall is a hermit who wants to clear his conscience before he dies. While trying to make his final arrangements with the local funeral home owner (Murray), they decide instead to host a "funeral party". I had no idea what to expect when I sat down to watch out and left impressed with the results. Solid script and well cast.

wkmac

It is cold and raining so I went to see "Get Low". Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray and the quarterback from Friday Night Lights. Robert Duvall is a hermit who wants to clear his conscience before he dies. While trying to make his final arrangements with the local funeral home owner (Murray), they decide instead to host a "funeral party". I had no idea what to expect when I sat down to watch out and left impressed with the results. Solid script and well cast.

I like Duvall and this sounds funny and yet with thoughtful heart. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry about your weather as our's is awesome. In fact, about to load up and head for a marching band festival this evening. Just need to dress for a cooler evening is all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son and I went to see "Hereafter" today. The first ten minutes are worth the price of admission alone. Matt Damon gives a superb performance as a person who has a "gift" that he considers to be a "curse". Clint Eastwood does a great job of weaving the subplots together at the end. If you have a good surround sound system and blu-ray this can be seen at home; if not, this is best seen at the theater.

On a side note, there was an idiot sitting behind us who could not find the "off" button on her cell phone. Normally I am the one who would say something but my son politely asked her to put the cell phone away and she did.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched Winter's Bone last night, it might be the best movie I've seen this year. Fairly simple story about a girl trying to find her drug dealing father, the performances especially by the lead actress were just incredibly powerful and authentic. Shot on location in Christian and Taney counties in Missouri, but reminded me very much of some of the rural areas of Virginia and West Virginia.

We watched Winter's Bone last night, it might be the best movie I've seen this year. Fairly simple story about a girl trying to find her drug dealing father, the performances especially by the lead actress were just incredibly powerful and authentic. Shot on location in Christian and Taney counties in Missouri, but reminded me very much of some of the rural areas of Virginia and West Virginia.

I agree. I have relatives in the hills of Tennessee and the subculture is very similar.