movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see "Love and Other Drugs" today. There is much more to this movie than they show in the previews. You should know that there is nudity and crude language throughout but that it is appropriate to the movie. Add this one to your Netflix but make sure the kids are sound asleep before watching it.

wkmac

Went to see "Love and Other Drugs" today. There is much more to this movie than they show in the previews. You should know that there is nudity and crude language throughout but that it is appropriate to the movie. Add this one to your Netflix but make sure the kids are sound asleep before watching it.

Since you go to movies all the time, do you have a season pass or something? What's the secret to afford so many all the time? And I can't believe the off price for afternoon matinee is that cheap! What's the low fare secret?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since you go to movies all the time, do you have a season pass or something? What's the secret to afford so many all the time? And I can't believe the off price for afternoon matinee is that cheap! What's the low fare secret?

$7.25 for the matinee. I have a reward card from the theater which gives me free popcorn, soda and movie tickets based on how much I spend. They have had coupons in the local paper for a free soda/popcorn/boxed candy so when I went on Friday I got a free medium soda and small popcorn. My son delivers for Papa John's and when he delivers to this theater for their birthday parties they tip him with 4 free movie tickets which he shares with me. When I don't have any coupons or rewards I will stop at a local convenience store before going to the movie to avoid paying concession stand prices.

Just out of curiousity I went to my Quicken to see how much I spent on movies so far this year---$258.25

I don't go to bars and rarely go out to eat--going to the movies is my vice.

$7.25 for the matinee. I have a reward card from the theater which gives me free popcorn, soda and movie tickets based on how much I spend. They have had coupons in the local paper for a free soda/popcorn/boxed candy so when I went on Friday I got a free medium soda and small popcorn. My son delivers for Papa John's and when he delivers to this theater for their birthday parties they tip him with 4 free movie tickets which he shares with me. When I don't have any coupons or rewards I will stop at a local convenience store before going to the movie to avoid paying concession stand prices.

Just out of curiousity I went to my Quicken to see how much I spent on movies so far this year---$258.25

I don't go to bars and rarely go out to eat--going to the movies is my vice.

Sure, discounted tickets, whatever you say. :)

imagesCAO5IEOY.jpg

imagesCAO5IEOY.jpg

upsgrunt

I'm ashamed to admit it, but we rented "The Human Centipede" the other night. It was absolutely weird and horrible- so horrible I dare not to describe the plot here. What bothers me the most is that some sicko with an even sicker mind came up with the idea for this film. I'm still shaking my head and puking in my mouth as I think about it now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm ashamed to admit it, but we rented "The Human Centipede" the other night. It was absolutely weird and horrible- so horrible I dare not to describe the plot here. What bothers me the most is that some sicko with an even sicker mind came up with the idea for this film. I'm still shaking my head and puking in my mouth as I think about it now.
I stumbled across that flick while browsing around on netflix, just reading the description was enough for me. It's the kind of movie I'd be scared to rent because I figure doing so would get my name automatically added to some database at the FBI.

upsgrunt

I stumbled across that flick while browsing around on netflix, just reading the description was enough for me. It's the kind of movie I'd be scared to rent because I figure doing so would get my name automatically added to some database at the FBI.

Don't waste a rental.

wkmac

Wow, if you're saying she's Upstates date........
Wow!

Now I'm really impressed. What a rac..........nice looking lady!
:wink2:

BTW: Thanks for your operating plan Upstate. When a really big movie comes out that premiers at midnight and of course usually on Wednesday night (Thursday morning) many of us, management and hourly alike, after our local sort we all pile in and head to the local movie theater to check out the new flick. I've not gone to all but a few and it was lots of fun. And no, we all went Dutch so UPS did not pick up the tab.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now I'm really impressed. What a rac..........nice looking lady!
:wink2:

BTW: Thanks for your operating plan Upstate. When a really big movie comes out that premiers at midnight and of course usually on Wednesday night (Thursday morning) many of us, management and hourly alike, after our local sort we all pile in and head to the local movie theater to check out the new flick. I've not gone to all but a few and it was lots of fun. And no, we all went Dutch so UPS did not pick up the tab.

If you go as a group you can usually call ahead and get a group discount, especially if the theater you are going to is a national chain (AMC, Regal). They will normally charge whatever the matinee rate is per person which could save up to $3 each. Just have one person pay for all of the tix and everyone else reimburse that person.

wkmac

If you go as a group you can usually call ahead and get a group discount, especially if the theater you are going to is a national chain (AMC, Regal). They will normally charge whatever the matinee rate is per person which could save up to $3 each. Just have one person pay for all of the tix and everyone else reimburse that person.

That's a great idea, thanks but more often it's one of those spur of the moment things about halfway through the sort and someone sez........ Maybe from the monetary side, a little advanced thought and planning might bring a pretty good payback. When Underworld, Rise of the Lycans came out, my wife took me to work and then my daughter came over afterwards and went to the movie with us. That one on my part was more planned but most have been last minute. Both Tron and the remake of True Grit are on my "must see" list so maybe I'll throw those 2 out at work and see what the interest is and then go from there on the advanced tix.

As for being a movie critic in retirement idea, you should do it. It's not movies but several years ago I was watching a program on BBQ and they interviewed these guys in Kansas City who were just friends but once a month went out to eat BBQ together. People would tell them of this place and that place and they'd go check it out and at somepoint the KC newspaper got wind of it and the next thing they knew, they had a regular feature in the Food section on where to eat good BBQ in the greater KC area. They also critique all the sauces to. Now that'd be my dream job!

Ever consider starting a movie blog and taking it from there to build a following? It'd be a great place to start or if you have a weekly local paper, talk to them about human interest material. A daily may want you to be a little more proven and a blog or weekly or better yet both could be the ticket. Just a thought!

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is not a movie review, but a movie question. I watched Along Came Polly this past weekend. In the beginning, Ben Stiller is wearing a sweatshirt with the letters NAIU on the front. What do these letters stand for? Is it some university?

By the way, one of Philip Seymore Thomas's funniest roles as Stiller's friend in this movie.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
This is not a movie review, but a movie question. I watched Along Came Polly this past weekend. In the beginning, Ben Stiller is wearing a sweatshirt with the letters NAIU on the front. What do these letters stand for? Is it some university?

By the way, one of Philip Seymore Thomas's funniest roles as Stiller's friend in this movie.

If I remember correctly, he was a "Risk Assessor" for an insurance company in the movie. I would guess that NAIU might stand for National Association of Insurance Underwriters.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Hoffman!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just came back from watching "Conviction". I am not a huge fan of women who wear too much makeup but it wouldn't kill Hillary Swank to put on just a little. This was a very good movie and she turns in yet another solid performance. The premise of the story is a man wrongly accused of murder and his sister (Swank) putting herself through law school in an effort to get the conviction vacated. Well scripted and cast. Add this one to your Netflix.

Just came back from watching "Conviction". I am not a huge fan of women who wear too much makeup but it wouldn't kill Hillary Swank to put on just a little. This was a very good movie and she turns in yet another solid performance. The premise of the story is a man wrongly accused of murder and his sister (Swank) putting herself through law school in an effort to get the conviction vacated. Well scripted and cast. Add this one to your Netflix.

Yea,she`s such a pig. Maybe the person she`s portraying didn`t wear a lot of makeup. Once again there`s a trend to your movie choices.

imagesCAZ6CYHP.jpg
imagesCAZ6CYHP.jpg