movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, "Bad Teacher" was as stupid as I thought it would be.

There is a remake of "Footloose" coming out as well as a movie called "The Help". Both look really good.

"Transformers" starts on Friday and "Larry Crowne" next week. I couldn't care less about the former but do want to see the latter.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched "The Fighter" last night, excellent movie. I like Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg and they were both really good, Amy Adams wasn't bad either. Years ago I saw a couple of the fights that Micky Ward had against Arturo Gatti but I never knew much about him beyond that. Interesting story to say the least.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We watched "The Fighter" last night, excellent movie. I like Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg and they were both really good, Amy Adams wasn't bad either. Years ago I saw a couple of the fights that Micky Ward had against Arturo Gatti but I never knew much about him beyond that. Interesting story to say the least.

Melissa Leo, who plays the mother, starred in "Frozen River", a movie that was filmed in my part of the world. If you haven't seen it yet I think you would enjoy it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Melissa Leo, who plays the mother, starred in "Frozen River", a movie that was filmed in my part of the world. If you haven't seen it yet I think you would enjoy it.
She did a nice job too, you could see how it would have been easy to play the mother as a one note, two dimensional stage mom stereotype but she gave the character more depth than that and made her more sympathetic, if not actually likeable. My own mother is from a big Boston Irish family (10 brothers and sisters) and I love seeing that environment portrayed on film.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I saw "Larry Crowne" the other day. I was looking forward to this one but left disappointed. Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts worked well together but neither seemed to have their hearts in to it. There were some good scenes and a couple of ironic twists but nothing that brought the movie together. Don't waste your money on this one.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Finally saw "Super 8" today...granddaughters too. I hadn't been to a theater recently..........$40.00 admission.......oh, I forgot our senior discount and matinee making it $38.00. Geez, then came 3 large popcorn (the large are refillable one time) at $8 each. I'm sure glad I loaned the girls a small purse to smuggle candy inside!! I had a can of diet coke in my purse.
Then after the movie I hear....."What are we doing now?" We had been to TJ Maxx before going to the show. We left the house at 9 and returned at 2:30 and they wondered what's for supper? If you aren't home all day, you probably have nothing ready.

Oh yeah, the movie was pretty good and age appropriate for all 4 of us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I went against the advice of our local movie critic to go see "Transformers". I should have listened to him--would have saved $10.75. (3-D) Other than the special effects, which were awesome, the movie was stupid. Save your money for Harry Potter (7/15).

old levi's

blank space
Finally saw "Super 8" today...granddaughters too. I hadn't been to a theater recently..........$40.00 admission.......oh, I forgot our senior discount and matinee making it $38.00. Geez, then came 3 large popcorn (the large are refillable one time) at $8 each. I'm sure glad I loaned the girls a small purse to smuggle candy inside!! I had a can of diet coke in my purse.
Then after the movie I hear....."What are we doing now?" We had been to TJ Maxx before going to the show. We left the house at 9 and returned at 2:30 and they wondered what's for supper? If you aren't home all day, you probably have nothing ready.

Oh yeah, the movie was pretty good and age appropriate for all 4 of us.

moreluck, Don't try to sneak in with hot coffee down the front of your pants like Kramer.

[video=youtube;TysjNDTWEBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysjNDTWEBc[/video]

"Its supposed to be hot."
"Not that hot!"

moreluck

golden ticket member
I remember that Seinfeld!

I forgot to mention another thing that made me feel old........there was a huge stand-up placard advertising HP7. When we walked by, I asked hubby, "What's a HP7?" The theater mgr. overheard me and as she walked by, she whispered "Harry Potter". It was funny. To me, HP is Hewlett Packard.

Uh oh, you called him "dude"....... !

Sorry, a bit of language but worth it.

***************WARNING, IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED BY VULGAR SLANG PLEASE SCROLL PAST THIS VIDEO. IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT WITHOUT COMPLAINT, PROCEED! IT IS THE TITLE OF A CLIP ON YOUTUBE, NOT FROM A MEMBER.*****************

[video=youtube;hnLweMNQoiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLweMNQoiE[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Never seen a Harry Potter....don't want to.
Never seen a Lord of the Rings....don't want to.
Never seen a Star Wars.don't want to.
Never seen a Star Wars.........don't want to.
Never seen a Smurf movie......don't want to

I could go on & on, but you get the point.

Never seen a Harry Potter....don't want to.
Never seen a Lord of the Rings....don't want to.
Never seen a Star Wars.don't want to.
Never seen a Star Wars.........don't want to.
Never seen a Smurf movie......don't want to

I could go on & on, but you get the point.

You hate Blue people, Spacemen, and gay Brits?

No, I think I will be the only person not going to see that movie. My kids dragged me to the last one and I had no clue what was going on.

Proof that there is a God resides in that my children wrinkle their nose and exclaim No! at the idea of even going to see a Harry Potter film.