movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son and I decided to beat the heat today by going to see "Harry Potter". He has been waiting to see this since it came out. I am by no means a Harry Potter fan but I have to admit that I liked this one. I still didn't understand the plot but the special effects were awesome, especially in 3-D.

This is supposed to be the last one but the ending left open the possibility of a new generation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched "Lebanon" last night, an Israeli film about the 1982 war from the perspective of a tank crew. Pretty grim, but a good movie and well worth seeing. The second half of our double feature was "Tangled" which was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don`t know about Cockburn but I could definitely see some chaffing going on.
Now I've got this sickening impression of chafing dishes.........ewwww!

thumbnail.aspx
What's in there ???????

moreluck

golden ticket member
Watched Fried Green Tomatoes this morning. Fine movie! Kathy Bates was great and loved Jessica Tandy.
My battle cry is "Towanda"!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see "Cowboys and Aliens" this afternoon. Theater was about half full--I guess Harry Potter mania has died down. It was actually a very good movie. They built the "Cowboy" part of the movie very well before introducing the "Allien" part and then closed out the movie by re-focusing on the "Cowboy" part. Solid script and cast with some very good special effects.

Cach, sorry to tell you, but the partial nudity that they showed in the previews is all that you get to see in the movie.

Tomorrow will be "Crazy, Stupid Love"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Crazy, Stupid Love" was much better than I thought it would be. Steve Carrell, Juliane Moore and Marisa Tomei lead a cast of relative unknowns in a well-written movie filled with plot twists. Tomei is reaching that point in her career where she has to be less selective in the roles that she chooses and willing to show more skin in those roles. Carrell is moving beyond "The Office". This would have been a good date movie if they had chosen to refrain from all of the profanity (there is a very interesting oral report given by Carrell's son on "The Scarlet Letter" which accounts for most of the profanity). Wait for the Netflix on this one.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"......Tomei is reaching that point in her career where she has to be less selective in the roles that she chooses and willing to show more skin in those roles......."

Whoa, that's sexist as hell and implies she lacks talent !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"......Tomei is reaching that point in her career where she has to be less selective in the roles that she chooses and willing to show more skin in those roles......."

Whoa, that's sexist as hell and implies she lacks talent !!!

Take from it what you will. Unlike other actresses in her age range (Demi Moore, Julianne Moore, Diane Lane), Marisa seems to have lost a step or two along the way and has been willing to show more skin in order to keep working.

Take from it what you will. Unlike other actresses in her age range (Demi Moore, Julianne Moore, Diane Lane), Marisa seems to have lost a step or two along the way and has been willing to show more skin in order to keep working.

Demi Moore (Striptease), Julianne Moore (Boogie Nights, Chloe,many others), Diane Lane ( Unfaithful ), You were saying? Just because an actress shows a little skin does not necessarily mean her ability to get good roles has diminished in any way.

She has been quoted "[on being nude in films] I definitely feel like I didn't want to do that kind of thing when I was younger because I didn't think that it was something a serious actress would do, in a way there is validity to that. It's harder to be taken seriously when you're younger, doing that but I've also come to a point of being able to handle the reaction to it - that probably would have been more difficult when I was younger".

Also she was nominated,and won, for numerous awards for her roles in "The Wrestler" and "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead", both of which she appeared nude in.

I think your just jealous she looks better at 46 naked than you do. :)