movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Made it to two movies this weekend. Yesterday was "The Bourne Legacy". They did a good job of transitioning away from Jason Bourne while still maintaining the Treadstone story line. It was a very good movie with an ending that suggested yet another installment will be coming out in the near future. Today was "The Campaign" with Will Ferell and Zack Galifinakis. It was also a very good movie---better than most Will Ferell's movies. Neither of these are a must-see in the theater.

Look for Anchorman II in early 2013.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched The Girl Who Played with Fire last night, excellent movie. If you liked the first film you'll like this one.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ok all you movie buffs. I need some help. We watched a movie recently and I cannot remember the name of it. I have no idea when it was filmed.

The plot - An American citizen (a college professor) of Taiwanese decent is murdered. The FBI agent sent to investigate the case follows the trail to Taiwan and discovers the Chinese Government (who is in control of Taiwan) is behind the assassination. The government was trying to hide the fact that during the war they killed thousands of Taiwanese. I think this is based on a true story. Does anyone know the movie?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This afternoon was spent watching "The Words". Bradley Cooper ("The Hangover") and Zoe Saldana ("Columiana") lead a solid cast in a well-written movie about a struggling writer who stumbles upon an unpublished novel which he decides to publish as though it were his own. Olivia Wilde ("House") and Dennis Quaid "(The Rookie") have solid supporting roles. The novel, which was written in France near the end of WWII, becomes a best seller and life is going well until the real author appears. Excellent movie.

Ok all you movie buffs. I need some help. We watched a movie recently and I cannot remember the name of it. I have no idea when it was filmed.

The plot - An American citizen (a college professor) of Taiwanese decent is murdered. The FBI agent sent to investigate the case follows the trail to Taiwan and discovers the Chinese Government (who is in control of Taiwan) is behind the assassination. The government was trying to hide the fact that during the war they killed thousands of Taiwanese. I think this is based on a true story. Does anyone know the movie?

Moviepooper lookup page

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Formosa Betrayed.

Buddy of mine just finished up a 2 year tour in Taiwan, he loved it there.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Four hours later and you end with tears....just like when I saw it at the State Theater on State Rd. Cuyahoga Falls Ohio in '65 ( I was a senior)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Finally got around to watching The Hunger Games last night and I was pretty impressed, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Now I might have to read the books before the second one comes out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I watched what was easily the best movie I have seen since "Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud" yesterday. "Trouble With the Curve", which stars Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake, is much more than a baseball movie. It is about the stubborness of an old man and an equally stubborn daughter, the shattered dreams of a pitching protege, arrogance of a phenom, and the conflict between the old and new schools of thought. There were many scenes where I found myself pumping my fist, cheering out loud and laughing. The audience clapped as the credits began to roll. Easily the best movie currently playing. There are no special effects or anything that would require it be seen in the theater but I personally think it is worth the price of admission.

This afternoon will be "End of Watch". Think "Training Day". I know going in that it won't measure up to "Trouble" but I will judge it on it's own merits. If the Patriots had an afternoon game I would watch that instead.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"End of Watch" sucked. The language was way over the top---4 older people got up and walked out after the first round of profanity. I almost left after the second. The movie was filmed using both handheld and fixed cameras and the handheld gave me a stomach ache (or was that the reuben I had for lunch?). Don't waste your money on this one and don't add it to your Netflix.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I watched what was easily the best movie I have seen since "Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud" yesterday. "Trouble With the Curve", which stars Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake, is much more than a baseball movie. It is about the stubborness of an old man and an equally stubborn daughter, the shattered dreams of a pitching protege, arrogance of a phenom, and the conflict between the old and new schools of thought. There were many scenes where I found myself pumping my fist, cheering out loud and laughing. The audience clapped as the credits began to roll. Easily the best movie currently playing. There are no special effects or anything that would require it be seen in the theater but I personally think it is worth the price of admission.

This afternoon will be "End of Watch". Think "Training Day". I know going in that it won't measure up to "Trouble" but I will judge it on it's own merits. If the Patriots had an afternoon game I would watch that instead.
I watched Extremely Close the other night or I should say morning. It was about 2 am when I turned it on. OMG!!! That movie was so good. There were several scenes that brought tears to my eyes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We rented "October Baby" from the Redbox and it was a wonderful movie. It's not the bang-bang shoot 'em up and stack the bodies over there, kind. It is rated PG-13 and there is no body-count.

Bob wasn't going to watch it, but was hooked. There's some tears , laughter and the story is a new one for me and supports a good idea for young people today...."you are valuable, no matter what."

Bring this film home for the family....entice them with candy & popcorn and watch it with the entire family and don't worry about the content. You will be drawn-in no matter what your age.

Thankyou John Schneider for making a great movie for us all that we all can watch with our families. It is PG-13 for it's adult topic.......and bringing a good little heroine in Rachel Hendrix. I have never seen this girl, but she did an excellent job.

It also could be alternately titled........I Survived a Late-term Abortion.......this will attract the "zombie fans to watch.

I rate it high and has someone, a character for everbody..........the Scooby VW van is so cool and the kid with the beard, who owns it , is funny. Watch it !! Watch it !!

MV5BMTczMjc5NDExMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjkwNTY0Nw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

MOVIEmeter
Top 500
Down60this week
View rank on IMDbPro »

October Baby (2011) 107 min - Drama