movie review

moreluck

golden ticket member
We were looking for spooky movies for this time of year. We rented "Rosewood Lane". Very tense.....very suspenseful. Very good !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been waiting for this one----"Argo" opens this weekend.

Every bit as good as advertised. Very, very historically accurate. Great screenplay/direction/cast. The first part of the movie gives a brief history lesson which lays the foundation for the current (1979-80) situation in Tehran. There was some literary license taken (police cars chasing a plane down the runway) which only added to the drama. This is a definite must see and should be seen in the theater; however, there are no special effects, so you can wait for it to come out on Netflix.

It always amazes me how the studios are able to accurately reproduce in detail the way that things were in a particular point in time. This was set in the late 70's and all of the detail was time period accurate, right down to the trinkets on the kid's bookcase in his bedroom.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Every bit as good as advertised. Very, very historically accurate. Great screenplay/direction/cast. The first part of the movie gives a brief history lesson which lays the foundation for the current (1979-80) situation in Tehran. There was some literary license taken (police cars chasing a plane down the runway) which only added to the drama. This is a definite must see and should be seen in the theater; however, there are no special effects, so you can wait for it to come out on Netflix.

It always amazes me how the studios are able to accurately reproduce in detail the way that things were in a particular point in time. This was set in the late 70's and all of the detail was time period accurate, right down to the trinkets on the kid's bookcase in his bedroom.

I'm not a movie watcher, but I do want to see this one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched The Cabin in the Woods last night, pretty clever take on what starts out looking like a standard horror movie plot. Worth checking out this Halloween if you haven't seen it already.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This afternoon I thought I would choose sophistication over action. "The Master" stars Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams who lead a solid cast in a well-written screenplay that will most certainly bring home an Oscar or two. Joaquin turns in his best performance yet as a Naval veteran with addiction issues returning from the war to an uncertain future while Hoffman and Adams are solid in their roles as the leaders of The Cause.

Truth be told, while this was an excellent movie, I found myself wishing I had gone to see "Alex Cross" instead.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

End of Watch is a pretty good movie. Alot of action and funny in parts.

I strongly disagree. Way, way too much profanity. Every other word was friend* this, friend* that. Four people walked out after the first round of friend* this. I almost followed after the second round. There was a lot of action and parts of it were funny but the combination of the handheld camcorder and the fixed cameras made me queasey.

CAFAL

I strongly disagree. Way, way too much profanity. Every other word was friend* this, friend* that. Four people walked out after the first round of friend* this. I almost followed after the second round. There was a lot of action and parts of it were funny but the combination of the handheld camcorder and the fixed cameras made me queasey.

I agree with the handheld. I'm very impartial though. I can watch and appreciate just about anything. I did think it had more potential

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just watched The Woman in Black (scary movies this month) it wasn't a groundbreaking plot just a ghost story but it was pretty well done. I jumped a few times, the ghost was pretty damn creepy. Good for snuggling up on the couch with your sweetheart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This afternoon was "Alex Cross". Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox star in this action movie. Very good movie--nice mix of action and drama. Cicely Tyson has a limited role as Tyler's mother. The ending is rather convoluted but overall this was a good choice.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
James Patterson would be a winner for me.

This afternoon I thought I would choose sophistication over action. "The Master" stars Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams who lead a solid cast in a well-written screenplay that will most certainly bring home an Oscar or two. Joaquin turns in his best performance yet as a Naval veteran with addiction issues returning from the war to an uncertain future while Hoffman and Adams are solid in their roles as the leaders of The Cause.

Truth be told, while this was an excellent movie, I found myself wishing I had gone to see "Alex Cross" instead.
I am a huge fan of James Patterson and Alex Cross is one of my favorite characters. The choice would have been an easy one for me. :happy-very:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We went down the local fancy art house the-atre and saw Samsara. It was pretty good, but you probably have to be in the right mood for it and a few bonghits wouldn't hurt either. If you saw Baraka it's the same kind of thing, although I thought Baraka was a little better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Cloud Atlas" debuted yesterday. I would like to see it but at 2:44:00 it would be like sitting through one of wkmac's videos. The hype calls it a must see and the movie of the century so I will probably go see it tomorrow before the Giants/Cowboys game.

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is where the Redbox comes in handy. Long movie? No problemo. Watch a good chunk in the A.M. and then finish it in the P.M. Only $1.29 too.