movie review

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just watched "The Watch" with Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and Jonah Hill. It was a birthday freebie from Redbox. It had a few good laughs. It didn't cost anything......so it was perfectly acceptable!!!

Loved the over kill on the Alien in the Costco!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Checked out The Hobbit this morning, I had my doubts about breaking it up into three 3 hour movies but now I think it works as it allows Jackson to work in a lot of back story (including stuff that wasn't actually in the book but it is still important) and set the scene for LOTR. I don't agree with some of the things he did but overall I think he did a great job. Some reviewers have complained about it being slow and I can see where they're coming from but I think it's irrelevant, The Hobbit wasn't supposed to be an action story. I give it two thumbs up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Checked out The Hobbit this morning, I had my doubts about breaking it up into three 3 hour movies but now I think it works as it allows Jackson to work in a lot of back story (including stuff that wasn't actually in the book but it is still important) and set the scene for LOTR. I don't agree with some of the things he did but overall I think he did a great job. Some reviewers have complained about it being slow and I can see where they're coming from but I think it's irrelevant, The Hobbit wasn't supposed to be an action story. I give it two thumbs up.

My daughter and son-in-law came up for my son's graduation from college yesterday. After the ceremony and the lunch my ex and I organized for him, we all went to watch this. My daughter told me that this was the precursor to the Lord of the Rings movies. That didn't help---I was lost. I had no idea who was who or what the story was supposed to be about. Of course, I hadn't read any of the books, which would have helped. I enjoyed the visuals but had more questions on the way home.

There are two more of these coming out?? Thanks, but no thanks.

S

serenity now

My daughter and son-in-law came up for my son's graduation from college yesterday. After the ceremony and the lunch my ex and I organized for him, we all went to watch this. My daughter told me that this was the precursor to the Lord of the Rings movies. That didn't help---I was lost. I had no idea who was who or what the story was supposed to be about. Of course, I hadn't read any of the books, which would have helped. I enjoyed the visuals but had more questions on the way home.

There are two more of these coming out?? Thanks, but no thanks.

how much organizing does a lunch take? :confused2:

S

serenity now

Choosing a restaurant that could accomodate 21 people, 3 menu choices, one special request (gluten free), ordering the cake, all while dealing with Peak---thank goodness for facebook.

roger that * 21 people is not a lunch; more like a banquet

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I love all of the new movies that come out this time of year. "This Is 40" is a story about a woman unwilling to accept the fact that she is turning 40. It also deals with the dynamics of a family going through some fairly tough issues. It was a good movie but I was dismayed at the amount of unnecessary profanity. Save this one for your Netflix. Last night was "Jack Reacher", which stars Tom Cruise as a former Army cop who is now a drifter who is brought in to help investigate a multiple homicide. He reunites with Robert Duval, who has a minor role in the movie as the manager of a gun range. This was a good one--Cruise is both a bad ass and a sleuth--and may be a good way to spend a few hours this week.

My son and I are going to go watch "The Guilt Trip" this afternoon. This one stars Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand who reluctantly spend time together on a cross-country trip. I am looking forward to this one. I also want to see "Parental Guidance", "Django Unchained", "Cirque de Soleil" and "Les Miserables". So little time, so many movies.:wink2:

I love all of the new movies that come out this time of year. "This Is 40" is a story about a woman unwilling to accept the fact that she is turning 40. It also deals with the dynamics of a family going through some fairly tough issues. It was a good movie but I was dismayed at the amount of unnecessary profanity. Save this one for your Netflix. Last night was "Jack Reacher", which stars Tom Cruise as a former Army cop who is now a drifter who is brought in to help investigate a multiple homicide. He reunites with Robert Duval, who has a minor role in the movie as the manager of a gun range. This was a good one--Cruise is both a bad ass and a sleuth--and may be a good way to spend a few hours this week.

My son and I are going to go watch "The Guilt Trip" this afternoon. This one stars Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand who reluctantly spend time together on a cross-country trip. I am looking forward to this one. I also want to see "Parental Guidance", "Django Unchained", "Cirque de Soleil" and "Les Miserables". So little time, so many movies.:wink2:

If language bothers you it might be wise to avoid Django Unchained.

over9five

Staff member
I watched the remake of "Total Recall" today (being home sick and alone).
It was an alright movie, maybe the best part was Kate Beckinsales...umm....end...so to speak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If language bothers you it might be wise to avoid Django Unchained.

I don't have a problem with profanity if it fits the story---I have a problem with profanity for profanity's sake.

"The Guilt Trip" was as good as advertised. Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand work well together. He plays the straight man and she loosens up big time. The ending is a surprise that brings the whole story together. The best part was the theater manager comped our tickets. Add to your Netflix.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Django"--the D is silent--was every bit as good as advertised. Jamie Foxx leads an all-star cast in this well-written story set in the pre-Civl War south. As cachsux mentioned above, language is an issue with this one but, unlike in the Guilt Trip, the language fits the story line. The violence, however, is a bit over the top. I would highly recommend this one.

Can Leonardo di Caprio be any more full of himself?

S

serenity now

"Django"--the D is silent--was every bit as good as advertised. Jamie Foxx leads an all-star cast in this well-written story set in the pre-Civl War south. As cachsux mentioned above, language is an issue with this one but, unlike in the Guilt Trip, the language fits the story line. The violence, however, is a bit over the top. I would highly recommend this one.

Can Leonardo di Caprio be any more full of himself?

haven't seen it and won't, but i have to assume that given the subject matter, a hollywood director would exploit to the maximum degree many of the stereotypical views of a pre-war south * comments in that regard

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

haven't seen it and won't, but i have to assume that given the subject matter, a hollywood director would exploit to the maximum degree many of the stereotypical views of a pre-war south * comments in that regard

...and your thoughts would be correct...the mindset of the times is expertly portrayed...I think you would be missing out on what is truly an excellent movie simply because you are rightfully offended by the narrow-mindedness of the pre-Civil War south.

S

serenity now

...and your thoughts would be correct...the mindset of the times is expertly portrayed...I think you would be missing out on what is truly an excellent movie simply because you are rightfully offended by the narrow-mindedness of the pre-Civil War south.

actually, i don't watch movies * just not going to contribute to what i believe is obscenely high earnings for the actors and i don't need the escapism