movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today's selection was "Parental Guidance", which was much better than I expected it to be. Billy Crystal, Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei lead a cast of unknowns in a movie in which the "other" grandparents are asked to babysit the grandkids for a week. The grandkids are typical "Participation Generation" kids who are not used to old-school parenting techniques. A series of comedic mishaps brings them all closer together with an ending that brings a tear to your eye. Very good movie----add to your Netflix.

Marisa Tomei could star in a toilet paper commercial and I would DVR it. Just sayin'.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented "Savages" with Travolta for all of 75 cents........Got a 50 cent off coupon online.

It was a good movie.......really violent, but Hollywood gets a pass on violence as usual. (Oliver Stone)

The reason it was so good was because John Travolta was in it only a small part of the time !!! Salma Hayek was good in it as a cartel head.

Rented "Savages" with Travolta for all of 75 cents........Got a 50 cent off coupon online.

It was a good movie.......really violent, but Hollywood gets a pass on violence as usual. (Oliver Stone)

The reason it was so good was because John Travolta was in it only a small part of the time !!! Salma Hayek was good in it as a cartel head.

She had a head?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

That was a different movie as I recall. We ended up seeing that on a fluke. Didn't have a clue what it was about but there was nothing else at the theater that we wanted to see.

over9five

Staff member
I saw Resident Evil: Retribution last night. I've liked the Resident Evil films, but this one basically sucked.
You can see Milla Jovovich's (Alice) hands trembling in some scenes where she is holding guns on something.
The story was same ol' same ol'.

I suppose you have to see it if you've seen all the others, but don't expect too much from it....

P.S. They've left room at the end for more movies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I saw Resident Evil: Retribution last night. I've liked the Resident Evil films, but this one basically sucked.
You can see Milla Jovovich's (Alice) hands trembling in some scenes where she is holding guns on something.
The story was same ol' same ol'.

I suppose you have to see it if you've seen all the others, but don't expect too much from it....

P.S. They've left room at the end for more movies.

I sent your review to Bob.......he has been talking about renting it. I'm trying to talk him out of it!! There is a $1.20 at stake here
:woohoo:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented and watched "Looper". It's OK, but you don't dare leave the room or you'll be lost. It's a "play close attention" movie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son and I went to see "Promised Land" this afternoon. Matt Damon, Hal Holbrook, Francis McDermond and John Krasinski lead a cast of relative unknowns in a movie about a natural gas company trying to secure leases in a small, economically-depressed farming town. We have a lot of wind farms locally and this movie gave me some insight in to the behind the scenes maneuvering by these corportations to secure leasing rights. There was also discussion on the pros and cons of fracking, with a very enlightening "show and tell" by Krasinski. This was a very good movie which I recommend highly.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We watched Where Soldiers Come Fromlast night. I hadn't heard of it before so I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out to be really good, it follows a group of friends from Michigan who join the National Guard and deploy to Afghanistan. It generally stays away from politics and just focuses on the soldiers and their families, the film maker does a good job of staying in the background and letting the subjects speak.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented & watched "Lawless". Good movie......1920's and 30's, prohibition, moonshine, Virginia, stills, crooked cops, etc.

Based on a true story of the Bondurant brothers and their stills. Good stuff!!

over9five

Staff member
Watched Dredd last night on PPV. This is the remake of the '95 film Judge Dredd which starred Sylvester Stallone. Except it wasn't exactly a remake because the storyline was different....
Anyhow, no-one does Stallone like Stallone, but this guy (Karl Urban) had the mouth exactly right. And that's all you saw because not once did he take his helmet off during the whole movie.
The story centers around a rookie judge who grew up near the edge of the mega-city, hence near the nuclear wasteland, which has given her the ability to read minds. She is assigned to Judge Dredd for her probationary first day.

I would recommend this movie if you're cruising the PPV, and can't decide on anything else. Not a great movie, but good enough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Took some time before tonight's football games to go see "Zero Dark Thirty". Excellent movie. I can see why there is a lot of Oscar buzz about this, to include Best Actress. This is a very well written, solidly cast movie based on real life accounts of what happened in the days leading up to finding and eliminating UBL. This is a must see in theater unless you have a kick ass surround sound system.

There are some good movies coming out this spring. There is an interesting version of Hansel and Gretel coming out as well as a different take on Superman starring Kevin Costner as Clark Kent's father. There is also a forgettable Stallone movie (Bullet to the Head) and another Die Hard due out soon.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented & Watched "Possession". It was based on a true story. It's OK and entertaining enough opposite the nothing Friday TV schedule.

It's the one with the trailer that showed the young girl looking down her throat in the mirror and you see two fingers (not hers) coming up her throat and gagging here.......remember that from a few months ago?
Not a must see.