movie review

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see "Broken City" this afternoon. Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe and Catherine Jones (I hate hyphens) co-star in this one. Excellent movie---you really have to pay attention during this one. Parts of it are a bit slow but there are enough plot twists and turns to keep even the most passive viewer interested. This movie is very well written and expertly cast. Very, very good movie. This is a must see but not necessarily in the theater as there are no special effects or anything that would benefit from the theater experience. Add this to your Netflix.

Watched Dredd last night on PPV. This is the remake of the '95 film Judge Dredd which starred Sylvester Stallone. Except it wasn't exactly a remake because the storyline was different....
Anyhow, no-one does Stallone like Stallone, but this guy (Karl Urban) had the mouth exactly right. And that's all you saw because not once did he take his helmet off during the whole movie.
The story centers around a rookie judge who grew up near the edge of the mega-city, hence near the nuclear wasteland, which has given her the ability to read minds. She is assigned to Judge Dredd for her probationary first day.

I would recommend this movie if you're cruising the PPV, and can't decide on anything else. Not a great movie, but good enough.

Lena Headey plays a woman you wouldn't want to piss off.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented and watched "Hatfields & Mccoys"......all 4 hours and 50 mins. of it !! It was really good.....although longer than I like. I guess it was a 3 day mini-series.....but I missed that when it was on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Decided to catch a movie before the football games this afternoon. I was going to see "Gangster Squad" but was curious why all the buzz about "Silver Linings Playbook". I now understand---it is an excellent movie. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, who I actually thought was Sally Struthers, headline a cast of relative unknowns in this movie about a man who has lost everything, spent some time in a mental institution and is now trying to put his life back together. Very well written with very strong performances by Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro. This would be a good choice for a date night movie.

DS

Fenderbender
Decided to catch a movie before the football games this afternoon. I was going to see "Gangster Squad" but was curious why all the buzz about "Silver Linings Playbook". I now understand---it is an excellent movie. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, who I actually thought was Sally Struthers, headline a cast of relative unknowns in this movie about a man who has lost everything, spent some time in a mental institution and is now trying to put his life back together. Very well written with very strong performances by Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro. This would be a good choice for a date night movie.

I'm way too old to be dating,and happily living in sin,but taking a first date to a movie about living in a mental institution and trying to get it together is a weird choice for a date night movie.

over9five

Staff member
Something you haven't told us???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spent part of a day off with my son watching "Gangster Squad". This is also a very good movie. Josh Brolin and Sean Penn lead a cast of other well known actors in this movie set in 1949 Los Angeles. Penn plays Mickey Cohen, a gangster who is trying to take over the syndicate in LA, while Brolin plays Sgt John O'Mara, a LA cop who leads a squad formed to take out Cohen and stop the spread of the mob. While some of the violence is over the top, the movie is well written and solidly cast. The only actor who I thought was out of place was Michael Pena.

It was sad to see the decline in the health of Nick Nolte.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Spent part of a day off with my son watching "Gangster Squad". This is also a very good movie. Josh Brolin and Sean Penn lead a cast of other well known actors in this movie set in 1949 Los Angeles. Penn plays Mickey Cohen, a gangster who is trying to take over the syndicate in LA, while Brolin plays Sgt John O'Mara, a LA cop who leads a squad formed to take out Cohen and stop the spread of the mob. While some of the violence is over the top, the movie is well written and solidly cast. The only actor who I thought was out of place was Michael Pena.

It was sad to see the decline in the health of Nick Nolte.

It took me a while to figure out that was Nolte. Kept saying to myself I know that guy. Good movie, even with the 4 and 5 year olds down the row from me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Spent a couple of hours in 'black & white land' .......watched "Somebody Up There Likes Me" on TCM. Starred a very young Paul Newman....the Matthew McConahy of 1956. It was suppose to star James Dean, but he had just died and Newman was cast in the part.
Rocky Graciano was a star in my time.

The TCM always adds the "Did you know?" stuff.....like that film was the debut of Dean Jones. There is also a really young Sal Mineo and uncredited Steve McQueen. They also mentioned Geo. C. Scott, but I never saw him.

I'd seen parts before, but this was the first time I watched the film all the way through.

Pier Angeli played his wife.......beautiful lady.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This afternoon was "Parker". It was much better than I thought it would be. Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez work well together in this one. Not a must see but a good addition to your Netflix.

On a side note, is there a movement to include Nick Nolte in every new movie, whether he fits or not? He was in this one as Parker's father but he was not a good fit for the role. Cancer has played havoc with his voice and it was very hard to hear him at times.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We rented and watched "Flight" last night. It was a good movie, but gets me wondering about all the pilots that fly us around. Worth renting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son and I went to see "Flight" this afternoon. There wasn't an empty seat in the house. Excellent movie. The language, while not as bad as "Training Day", was on the rough side. The plane crash was actually somewhat of a sub-plot to the main theme of the movie. John Goodman and Don Cheadle give strong performances in their supporting roles. The ending was a surprise to both my son and I, given the circumstances leading up to it. I definitely recommend this one but do caution that the language and nudity (the movie starts with a full female frontal nudity scene) may be a bit much for those under the age of 13.

We rented and watched "Flight" last night. It was a good movie, but gets me wondering about all the pilots that fly us around. Worth renting.

This has already been covered---try to keep up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This weekend was "Side Effects" and "Identity Thief".

"Side Effects" was a good movie but one that left me shaking my head and asking myself what the hell it was about. There were several stories within the main story and each was slightly more confusing than the other. Do not waste your money going to the theater for this one but do add it to your Netflix.

"Identity Thief" was much better than I thought it would be. My son joined me for this one, which drew a full house, and we both agreed that it was pretty good. Add this one to your Netflix.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented & Watched "Taken 2". Liam Neesn is shot at 1,837 times and never once hit or winged.
Amazing!

It was OK in the action and car chase categories. Took place in Istambul.