movie review

moreluck

golden ticket member
Saw "World War Z" tonight. If you've read the book the title is all that's similar. Take it for what it is and enjoy it.
Grandpa & granddaughter went to see it. I like scary movies, but I'm not into the zombie ones, so I didn't go. They liked it..

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's not a zombie movie.[/QUOTE}

United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to ...

As Annalee Newitz at io9 notes, “Maybe the problem with World War Z is that zombie movies require a certain amount of weirdness or subversiveness to succeed...."

"The love-scare affair with zombies is exploited yet again in “ World War Z,” with Brad Pitt as the hero trying to save the world as well as his family."

One look at any of the trailers and commercials for World War Z and it's obvious: The movie is about . It's easy to intuit as much knowing that the Marc Forster-directed action flick is based on [!i Brooks' ...

You could've fooled these reviewers !!!

Last edited:
If the name "World War Z" was not attached to it I would feel it fit as the third movie in the "28 Days Later" theme. Fast protagonists, violent and aggressive, fast infection of victims, etc. the difference in the two would be that in 28DL they are infected humans, still alive. In WWZ they are indeed resurrected dead. By that requirement, and the fact that they are outright called zombies by the characters in the movie, makes it a zombie movie. IMO the zombie purists feel they should follow the George Romero guidelines of being slow, the version I prefer, but there has never been any hard fast rule saying they can't be fast.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the name "World War Z" was not attached to it I would feel it fit as the third movie in the "28 Days Later" theme. Fast protagonists, violent and aggressive, fast infection of victims, etc. the difference in the two would be that in 28DL they are infected humans, still alive. In WWZ they are indeed resurrected dead. By that requirement, and the fact that they are outright called zombies by the characters in the movie, makes it a zombie movie. IMO the zombie purists feel they should follow the George Romero guidelines of being slow, the version I prefer, but there has never been any hard fast rule saying they can't be fast.

There was nothing in the previews that suggested it was a zombie movie hence my response. I guess I will find out for myself when my son and I go see it this afternoon. Thanks for the clarification.

bbsam

Staff member
Ok. It's not a movie, but if you EVER get the chance to see "The Book of Mormon", definitely treat yourself. Catchy music, hilariously funny lyrics, irreverent jabs at the Mormon faith with a good natured charm with a poignant storyline. There's a reason this Matt Stone/Trey Parker musical swept nearly every Broadway award. Damn they're good!!

over9five

Staff member
I just watched some GI Joe movie (was there more than one?). Anyhow, it had Bruce Willis in it and it......

SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKEDDDDDDDDDDD

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Monster University is time and money worth it.
We always try and hit the theater early Sunday to avoid the crowd (we hate crowded theaters) so that was our plan for WWZ this morning but as soon as we pulled up I saw waay too many cars in the parking lot. Grrr. Well screw it we're already here 3D is at 1100 2D is at 1115 so I ask the kid at the ticket counter which showing is emptiest he says "Oh they're both pretty empty, everyone else is here to see Monster University". Score. We saw it in 3D with a whole row to ourselves (we hate crowded theaters), excellent flick, glad we chose that instead of Superman which I had a feeling was going to suck. So I'm glad you went to see Monster University this morning :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
We always try and hit the theater early Sunday to avoid the crowd (we hate crowded theaters) so that was our plan for WWZ this morning but as soon as we pulled up I saw waay too many cars in the parking lot. Grrr. Well screw it we're already here 3D is at 1100 2D is at 1115 so I ask the kid at the ticket counter which showing is emptiest he says "Oh they're both pretty empty, everyone else is here to see Monster University". Score. We saw it in 3D with a whole row to ourselves (we hate crowded theaters), excellent flick, glad we chose that instead of Superman which I had a feeling was going to suck. So I'm glad you went to see Monster University this morning :wink2:
One could almost imply from your post that you hate crowded theaters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to see the 2D version of "WWZ" this afternoon. I enjoyed it---it was well written and directed with some cool special effects. I don't know that 3D would have made that much ($3.50) difference. The theater was about half full.

I am off tomorrow (I need a break and one of the casuals asked me if I would take the day) and may spend part of it watching Monsters U.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rented and watched The Call with Halle Berry. It's a very tense and nerve wracking movie. Once and for all, don't piss off the women !!!!

Rented "Its a Disaster". It's a black comedy about for couples having a brunch when a massive apocalyptic attack occurs. It's very quick on the dialog and a lot of the humor is subtle so one has to pay attention. I enjoyed it.