New branding!

bbsam

Staff member
He looks at things through purple colored glasses.
I look at it through glasses that see John Deere, the largest local employer, laying off thousands of employees in the last year. You know, the kind of job that used to be a career and are now are just numbers on a balance sheet. Sure, union jobs but with a weak union contract that makes them easily expendable. This is what middle class Americans can expect. Little compensation and even less security.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I look at it through glasses that see John Deere, the largest local employer, laying off thousands of employees in the last year. You know, the kind of job that used to be a career and are now are just numbers on a balance sheet. Sure, union jobs but with a weak union contract that makes them easily expendable. This is what middle class Americans can expect. Little compensation and even less security.
That's true about John Deere these days but this is FedEx, an entirely different industry. Let's compare apples to apples.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Sam was implying that even with a union, your job security is still not guaranteed.

So i got the jist of it...

For my fellow dumbo HD ~ Ground drivers, the following will help u guys understand this thread: caution, you need to have the ability to read engrish

bacha29

Four years ago corn was going for $8 now less than 4. Soybeans 14 now 9.The equipment dealers lot overflowing with used and off lease equipment This is why people were layed off .

FedGT

Four years ago corn was going for $8 now less than 4. Soybeans 14 now 9.The equipment dealers lot overflowing with used and off lease equipment This is why people were layed off .
Don't forget astronomical land prices that haven't dropped with the commodity prices. They are off the highs but not by much.

bacha29

It's amusing how you guys in both operating units are jawing away at each when you both share the same common worry. None of you know which direction the powers that be are going to take the company and none of you at the present time know how it's going to impact you or what to do in preparation for those changes. The first two are obvious, deleverage and stock pile cash. In the near term, that's all you can do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's amusing how you guys in both operating units are jawing away at each when you both share the same common worry. None of you know which direction the powers that be are going to take the company and none of you at the present time know how it's going to impact you or what to do in preparation for those changes. The first two are obvious, deleverage and stock pile cash. In the near term, that's all you can do.

I have less than 2 years left and sleep like a baby.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Most indications point to ground transitioning to employee status under express. We finally get to meet.
I still don't understand the friction between express and ground divisions. Fred probably wants it like that.
Ground drivers aren't held to the same strict, professional standards dictated by Memphis, that Express drivers are. Applying that standard alone would disqualify a majority of Ground drivers, ergo the disdain.

bbsam

Staff member
That never used to matter. In the late 70's early 80's, if you had got into Deere, you were set for life. Now, those with less than 10 years sweat out the "next wave of cuts". And then what happens to the local job market? It swells with applicants looking for anything to make the next house payment...even if they have to go to Ground and take less than what they are accustomed to. Maybe they hope one day to be called back. Maybe such hope doesn't really exist.

bbsam

Staff member
Ground drivers aren't held to the same strict, professional standards dictated by Memphis, that Express drivers are. Applying that standard alone would disqualify a majority of Ground drivers, ergo the disdain.
Huge BS.

Had a driver fail a piss test. Guess where he works now. I would have raised a huge stink, but he's a great kid and, well, I kinda would be surprised by a 21 year old who could consistently pass a random these days.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Huge BS.

Had a driver fail a piss test. Guess where he works now. I would have raised a huge stink, but he's a great kid and, well, I kinda would be surprised by a 21 year old who could consistently pass a random these days.
One of MANY standards we are held to at Express. I still see Ground trucks left running with no driver, cargo area open and unattended, attire that would get US suspended, cellphones, radios, both doors open going down the road, male ponytails and tattoos, etc. THAT lack of control is where I see the damage to the brand not being addressed.

bacha29

In addition to your huge ego and your completely undeserved sense of self importance just exactly facts what are you basing your outrageous claim? The cold facts are and deal with them in the best way you can is that your have a HS diploma proven driving skills can read write and speak English and pass a drug test along with a DOT physical. Now in your expert opinion just exactly what unique and highly specialized additional skills does a person have to have?

It will be fine

One of MANY standards we are held to at Express. I still see Ground trucks left running with no driver, cargo area open and unattended, attire that would get US suspended, cellphones, radios, both doors open going down the road, male ponytails and tattoos, etc. THAT lack of control is where I see the damage to the brand not being addressed.
I've seen most of that with both express and ups lately. Hate to break it to you but Ground is the face of the brand now. There are a lot more Ground drivers than Express.

bbsam

Staff member
X can get that control through the agreement. Just write it in and make an example of drivers who don't through disqualification. It's probably too much control but what contractor has the time or money to fight it? Corporate America is power drunk with "arbitration agreements" andX along with many others know that they really can basically do whatever they want.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Bingo. Our standards are getting lower by the minute, but we're still nowhere as low as Ground.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Nowhere near as profitable.
What is it that a contractor can do that Fedex can't? Their purchasing power for equipment of all kinds, self insured status, and all other economies of scale says they are using your 'model' to accomplish in the short-term what they need to capture market share. As it becomes more complicated and costly to sustain, they will simplify. Sorry, but I don't believe the 'model' gives them the over-arching control they demand FIRST AND FOREMOST.
Caveat: ALL of this is predicated on the assumption of intelligence in upper management is fact and not as demonstrated lately.:glare:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess some of the local couriers did not get the "strict, professional standards" memo, judging by the number of them that park as if they owned the place.