New branding!

MAKAVELI

Banned
A contractor is paid by volume, in part, and if volume goes up, pay goes up to the contractor. Are you just pretending to be that slow?
I think you are the slow one. Volume has been going up the past few years yet driver pay has remained flat and contractors come on hear and say its getting harder to gain more profit.

SmithBarney

Like ground drivers can't buy placards or go through training. Plus the terminal mgmt will be able to figure it out.

You express boys are desperately trying to prove how unique and highly valuable you are. but not a one of you knew anything about hazmat when you started.

We Don't have hazmat, we have Dangerous Goods... ;) I'm sure there is a legal reason behind why they call it something different, probably so they don't have to pay a premium.

dmac1

I think you are the slow one. Volume has been going up the past few years yet driver pay has remained flat and contractors come on hear and say its getting harder to gain more profit.

Driver pay per hour is flat, but working more hours. It's getting harder to make profit because fedex doesn't pay enough. But if ground contractors start taking more packages, their gross will increase. Whether it increases net is another question. Drivers are limited by law to how many hours they can work, and must be paid at least minimum wage. As states raise minimum wage, the squeeze is on. And with unemployment dropping, of course turnover is high. I never said that being an ISP was a good idea. A lot of people think otherwise.

The indepedence is gone completely with the one requirement to operate multiple routes. I got into this to decide my own hours and have no one to depend on or depend on me. As one of the day one HD contractors, I was outright lied to- saying that I could contract my one zip code, or more if I wanted, and work as many or a few hours as it took. Day two I was assigned at least 10 zip codes, and was told I needed to do whatever they assigned to me. I was told over and over that my area was determined by what they assigned, and that they had the right to make full use of my van, as determined by them. When I wanted to hire a driver to work for me a couple days a week using his own almost new van, they said they weren't approving any second vans or drivers until the terminal reached a certain volume. Now the ISP faces the same or similar demands.

The new ISP has no benefit to being an ISP instead of contracting a single route, and has more invested.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Driver pay per hour is flat, but working more hours. It's getting harder to make profit because fedex doesn't pay enough. But if ground contractors start taking more packages, their gross will increase. Whether it increases net is another question. Drivers are limited by law to how many hours they can work, and must be paid at least minimum wage. As states raise minimum wage, the squeeze is on. And with unemployment dropping, of course turnover is high. I never said that being an ISP was a good idea. A lot of people think otherwise.

The indepedence is gone completely with the one requirement to operate multiple routes. I got into this to decide my own hours and have no one to depend on or depend on me. As one of the day one HD contractors, I was outright lied to- saying that I could contract my one zip code, or more if I wanted, and work as many or a few hours as it took. Day two I was assigned at least 10 zip codes, and was told I needed to do whatever they assigned to me. I was told over and over that my area was determined by what they assigned, and that they had the right to make full use of my van, as determined by them. When I wanted to hire a driver to work for me a couple days a week using his own almost new van, they said they weren't approving any second vans or drivers until the terminal reached a certain volume. Now the ISP faces the same or similar demands.

The new ISP has no benefit to being an ISP instead of contracting a single route, and has more invested.
Every ground driver I have come in contact with has said they are paid a flat rate regardless of hours actually worked. Falsification is rampant regarding DOT hours and most don't count hours time spent in the terminal. In my opinion this would only get worse with the addition Express freight.

dmac1

Every ground driver I have come in contact with has said they are paid a flat rate regardless of hours actually worked. Falsification is rampant regarding DOT hours and most don't count hours time spent in the terminal. In my opinion this would only get worse with the addition Express freight.

Contractors put themselves at risk if they don't follow the law, and with the money they have invested, they are complete fools for doing so.

That said, it is legal to pay a flat rate, or even a piece rate as long as the pay meets minimum wage. Contractors need to keep records to prove compliance, or risk everything.

dmac1

It doesn't stop them now. Doubt it will stop them in the future.
I think more and more that maybe being a fool is part and parcel(pun) of being a contractor. Or at least liking it. When I was with HD, it was the best contractors who knew what they were doing that got out first., or stood their ground and were terminated.Two of my 3 drivers took over my routes when I refused to bend, and were fired within 3 months. It took fedex 4 drivers to cover what I did with 3, and even with 4, service dropped from over 99% to about 92%. People who take pride in their work generally don't want people effing with their job. When fedex started re-interpreting the contract, or denying rights under the contract, fedex lost the best quality people they had.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Their drivers would also have to have haz endorsements like our swings do to carry placard DG.
Has no one considered the cost of insurance alone to carry haz? FMCSA minimums alone would run in excess of $12,000 per truck per year. Who thinks their margins would make that profitable to take on? Dmac1? Bbsam? Bacha29?

MAKAVELI

Banned
Has no one considered the cost of insurance alone to carry haz? FMCSA minimums alone would run in excess of $12,000 per truck per year. Who thinks their margins would make that profitable to take on? Dmac1? Bbsam? Bacha29?
No worries Freddy will simply pay it for them. Lol

Exec32

You can go out and contract with other delivery services or even local companies, like a local print company that needs service to their customers, or to a company like Interstate trucking, who I used to contract with for local distribution of goods from their warehouses. Your only limit is yourself, not fedex.

So my company, my resources, my equipment, my employees...
You know X created this maze. Drafting a contract that actual takes control of everything mentioned above.
I can not take MY trucks to another business and provide services to them while I'm servicing X, according to the contract;, I can not wear what my company desires servicing the community while servicing X, I can not choose what equipment I'm going to use while servicing X (scanner/software application), I can not use my own hiring procedures for my company that i created when contracted with X, should it matter to X who else I service and in what, when I am exercising my right in enterprise to produce income, as long as I get the desired outcome?
In theory your statement may have merit, but in practice it does not. For God sake they demand my company wears their uniforms and their decals on my company trucks, who you claim I can contract to anyone in, and then write clause after clause telling me that I will only service them according to the equipment I own that they approved. Long story short,,,,that equipment and those staff should be able to be deployed to generate income in the most cost effective way as I see fit, even if I'm carrying X product. But X has eliminated that.
By the way I'm mandated to have trucks back to the terminal by 8pm every night, and my start time to deploy (7am) to service all these different companies you claim is often violated by X.
You don't see the problems?
I wonder did that print shop or interstate trucking make those demands to?

dmac1

Do you know the driver isn't the same as the contractor?????????

Exec32

It
And you are a slow thing. It doesn't matter if it is spelled out in the contract, if it looks like a franchise, acts like a franchise, and sounds like a franchise, legally it is likely to be considered as a franchise, no mater how you and fedex describe it. You bought it, deal with it.
You must meet all the elements of a franchise to be a franchise. Oh, smart one you actually have to have ownership in something to. Try convincing a bank it's a franchise., Hell try convincing a court of law.

dmac1

If the contractor takes on say 80 extra express packages a day, and fedex pays him $1.50 to get them delivered by the contractors drivers, it will cover the $12,000 and then some.

MAKAVELI

Banned
If the contractor takes on say 80 extra express packages a day, and fedex pays him $1.50 to get them delivered by the contractors drivers, it will cover the $12,000 and then some.
So no extra costs involved in taking express freight? Got it. Smh

dmac1

It

You must meet all the elements of a franchise to be a franchise. Oh, smart one you actually have to have ownership in something to. Try convincing a bank it's a franchise., Hell try convincing a court of law.

Closer to a franchise than a real contractor agreement. And since you are so smart, why not inform me of all the necessary elements to be a franchise???? The contractor does have ownership rights to all the deliveries in the contracted areas. You should know that. Instead of a contractor scam the banks won't lend on, it's more like a franchise scam they won't lend on. But the contractor does have rights to the deliveries and money they generate. It is the only value the contract has.

Are you going to tell me that a Stanley Steemer franchise isn't really a franchise either????? Every post of yours is proving how little you know about how fedex works their 'contractor' scam.

Did you even read that just because a contract calls a pig a dog doesn't make it legally a dog???? And that is what the ISPs got- a real pig that everyone but you knows is a dog.