New branding!

Exec32

I'm not saying that you'll go down in flames. I'm saying stop deceiving yourselves with the belief that you are in a secure employment given ground's proven ability to quickly adapt to a changing delivery market and environment. All I hear out of your guys is that Ground can't do this that and something else.All I'm saying is that from day 1 it has and continues to respond to a changing delivery landscape because contractors are given no choice but to find a way to adapt. And if given enough money and a functional set of logistics you can bet your bottom dollar they will continue to adapt to that new set of directives and therein lies the threat to your livelihood.
Lotta control and command in that statement,,,,,or is it command and Controll...meh

bacha29

Not by paying $600 a week with no benefits.;)
In some markets you won't get anybody to take the deal However there are plenty of markets where people will leap at such an offer. Look, the longer you remain in denial the more unprepared you will be when change arrives. you can continue for as long as you like grabbing for straws trying to fool yourself with the belief that Ground is going to be moved over and placed under control of Express. It's just not going to happen. Simply remember what Deep Throat told Bob Woodward....."Follow the money". And the undisputed fact is that most of the money is going toward the building out of the Ground network.

Exec32

Many of you guys who have such low opinions of Ground are clearly ignoring Ground's ability to adapt to change. It has been doing it since day1. All we hear out of you X jocks is ,"Ground can't do this and it can't do that and it can't do something else." The biggest disservice you can do to yourself is to ignore it's ability to adapt and it will adapt. The only question among contractors going forward is will they all meaning those who operate in attractive areas as well as those who don't get enough money from XGround to implement the new directives and mandates coming their way? If the money and logistics are they there will leave you Xjocks standing there with you thumbs ina certain bodily oriface wondering why the security you for too long believed you had suddenly appears threatened.
"Directives" " Mandates", sounds like X is my Boss.
It takes a week to get me a complaint from a package that was delivered, or I have to go to three different people to get a new lable, and a damaged package may never get RTS only to find it back on my truck the next day, manager 1 tells me A manager 2 tells me C manager 3 tells me A&B are wrong. We all go out with a fleet that looks like we have been to Afghanistan, we have a long way to go.
Not to mention the over reliance on every part of the delivery chain on thousands of different entities trying to act in unison.
Adapting with these realities, competing and preserving the brand, I wouldn't bet on it

bacha29

It takes a week to get me a complaint from a package that was delivered, or I have to go to three different people to get a new lable, and a damaged package may never get RTS only to find it back on my truck the next day, manager 1 tells me A manager 2 tells me C manager 3 tells me A&B are wrong. We all go out with a fleet that looks like we have been to Afghanistan, we have a long way to go.
Not to mention the over reliance on every part of the delivery chain on thousands of different entities trying to act in unison.
Adapting with these realities, competing and preserving the brand, I wouldn't bet on it
Perhaps you should sell now . cut your losses and get out. Remember you signed that damn contract. It is what it is but you can't accept it. Do you actually believe that X is going to restructure their entire operation just to appease one mouthy little malcontent contractor?

MAKAVELI

Banned
In some markets you won't get anybody to take the deal However there are plenty of markets where people will leap at such an offer. Look, the longer you remain in denial the more unprepared you will be when change arrives. you can continue for as long as you like grabbing for straws trying to fool yourself with the belief that Ground is going to be moved over and placed under control of Express. It's just not going to happen. Simply remember what Deep Throat told Bob Woodward....."Follow the money". And the undisputed fact is that most of the money is going toward the building out of the Ground network.
$600 would not be enough to do both Express and ground. That's essentially doing UPS workloads for a 1/4 of the pay and no benefits. Good luck with keeping workers a week on that pay. But I'll land on my feet if FedEx decides tanking the corporation is what they intend to do. I also said I'd pay money to see it happen.;)

dmac1

Fedex is your boss. They tell you what they want, and you decide how to provide it. Or you can give notice and walk. It's up to you to decide how to get your drivers to accomplish whatever fedex wants. As long as you have 'entrepreneurial opportunities' fedex can control almost everything you do. If you understood the concept of a franchise, you would see the similarities between the ISP model and a franchise arrangement.

bacha29

Fedex is your boss. They tell you what they want, and you decide how to provide it. Or you can give notice and walk. It's up to you to decide how to get your drivers to accomplish whatever fedex wants. As long as you have 'entrepreneurial opportunities' fedex can control almost everything you do. If you understood the concept of a franchise, you would see the similarities between the ISP model and a franchise arrangement.
Dmac would you please do me a favor.? Can you identify for me the specific contract language that describes the agreement as an actual franchise agreement and clearly mentions the word "franchise"?

dmac1

$600 would not be enough to do both Express and ground. That's essentially doing UPS workloads for a 1/4 of the pay and no benefits. Good luck with keeping workers a week on that pay. But I'll land on my feet if FedEx decides tanking the corporation is what they intend to do. I also said I'd pay money to see it happen.;)
A contractor should be paying by the hour, or by piece rate that meets at least minimum wage. Why would a contractors drivers balk at delivering envelopes instead of tires? Sure, you may need to hire more drivers, but you will have more revenue. And for someone who is just a ground driver, not the contractor, your job is to deliver whatever, wherever, whenever your boss tells you. No one is telling you to increase individual drivers workloads, and expect them to do it for the same pay. After all, fedex will be paying you a lot more if your workload increases a lot, and it will be your choice to hire more drivers, pay the drivers you have more, or give up territory if you don't want to handle it.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Banned
You should be paying by the hour, or by piece rate that meets at least minimum wage. Why would your drivers balk at delivering envelopes instead of tires? Sure, you may need to hire more drivers, but you will have more revenue. And for someone who is just a ground driver, not the contractor, your job is to deliver whatever, wherever, whenever your boss tells you. No one is telling you to increase individual drivers workloads, and expect them to do it for the same pay. After all, fedex will be paying you a lot more if your workload increases a lot, and it will be your choice to hire more drivers, pay the drivers you have more, or give up territory if you don't want to handle it.
I work for Express not ground. I see adds on Craigslist all the time for $600 -700 a week flat rate. We also have ground drivers all the time trying to jump over to Express because their contractors don't offer ot and benefits.

dmac1

Dmac would you please do me a favor.? Can you identify for me the specific contract language that describes the agreement as an actual franchise agreement and clearly mentions the word "franchise"?

The original contract identified me as a contractor, but despite that language, the law determined that I was an employee. The same thing could be said about the new arrangement, if it walks like a duck....., You have a territory, like a franchise, no one can compete with you in that area, like a franchise, you use the master companies name to the public, like a franchise, fedex controls a lot of the aspects of what and how you do things, like a franchise. In my mind, no matter what the contract labels it, it operates like a franchise. You can sell it, buy another one, or buy as many as the corporation allows. But one thing you are not under the ISP is an independent contractor. You may be an independent service provider with a contract to provide services, but you are not an independent business any more than your locally owned McDonalds is an independent restaurant..

Exec32

I would be more than happy to enter into a franchise agreement with X, but I don't think similarities will get us there, nor X does X desire that.
These entrepreneurial opportunities do not exists from the mere fact I am contracting with X, they exists because I took the risk to go into business to provide services in this industry free of X interference, But X does not want me to be a free enterprise, they do not want to franchise with me, they want to control any and all resources I have at their disposal. They want me to only work for them, pass on all risk and liabilities and control everything about my company.
And that is clearly text book contractual relationship,,,,,,,ya right.
You know they are destroying the principle of contracting.

Exec32

The original contract identified me as a contractor, but despite that language, the law determined that I was an employee. The same thing could be said about the new arrangement, if it walks like a duck....., You have a territory, like a franchise, no one can compete with you in that area, like a franchise, you use the master companies name to the public, like a franchise, fedex controls a lot of the aspects of what and how you do things, like a franchise. In my mind, no matter what the contract labels it, it operates like a franchise. You can sell it, buy another one, or buy as many as the corporation allows. But one thing you are not under the ISP is an independent contractor. You may be an independent service provider with a contract to provide services, but you are not an independent business any more than your locally owned McDonalds is an independent restaurant..
This thing you call a territory, is a myth

dmac1

I work for Express not ground. I see adds on Craigslist all the time for $600 -700 a week flat rate. We also have ground drivers all the time trying to jump over to Express because their contractors don't offer ot and benefits.

I was speaking to the concept of what a driver is expected to do. If a contractor is paid more by fedex for delivering express packages, he can either pay his drivers more or hire more drivers. No one would expect the drivers to do more work for the same money. I don't know where you got that idea. Contractors aren't limited to a certain number of drivers.

Exec32

C
CAN NOT DO IT!
Facts are stubborn things.

dmac1

I would be more than happy to enter into a franchise agreement with X, but I don't think similarities will get us there, nor X does X desire that.
These entrepreneurial opportunities do not exists from the mere fact I am contracting with X, they exists because I took the risk to go into business to provide services in this industry free of X interference, But X does not want me to be a free enterprise, they do not want to franchise with me, they want to control any and all resources I have at their disposal. They want me to only work for them, pass on all risk and liabilities and control everything about my company.

You should have read the contract and consulted an attorney. You have a situation that legally looks a lot like a franchise, no matter what fedex calls it. What fedex and you call it is totally irrelevant to the law. What you got into was an agreement to provide services to fedex that fedex can change or cancel anytime your contract comes up for renewal. And even if fedex doesn't want to call it a franchise, that's what it looks like to me. Instead of serving food like a McDonalds, you serve packages. Prices charged at a McDonalds are largely set by McDonalds, with some negotiation, just like you have with your contract.

I don't understand the hate of the term franchise- I will still continue to compare the ISP to a franchisee because it is so similar.

dmac1

C

CAN NOT DO IT!
Facts are stubborn things.
And you are a slow thing. It doesn't matter if it is spelled out in the contract, if it looks like a franchise, acts like a franchise, and sounds like a franchise, legally it is likely to be considered as a franchise, no mater how you and fedex describe it. You bought it, deal with it.

MAKAVELI

Banned
I was speaking to the concept of what a driver is expected to do. If a contractor is paid more by fedex for delivering express packages, he can either pay his drivers more or hire more drivers. No one would expect the drivers to do more work for the same money. I don't know where you got that idea. Contractors aren't limited to a certain number of drivers.
What makes you think you'd be paid more by Fedex?

dmac1

You can go out and contract with other delivery services or even local companies, like a local print company that needs service to their customers, or to a company like Interstate trucking, who I used to contract with for local distribution of goods from their warehouses. Your only limit is yourself, not fedex.