Not my Union

mikejonesjr

They don’t last 4 years at Amazon, they’re all new hires
Ok well obviously that isn’t true. Regardless of that just google an Amazon pay scale they got their own progression and when they bump the pay the progression goes up with it.
The way I see it we are all making out like bandits. Sean bent UPS over.
You’re either a full timer, a 10+ year part timer, or a new hire. The people saying they got shafted don’t fall in that category

UPSER1987

You all sound like whiny little bitches in this thread…pt or ft whiny little bitches lol. It’s the exact reason management doesn’t listen. You cry about everything so the company does what it wants.

Last edited:

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Used to be 90 days. Another Union concession.
Or a realization that a driver is not capable enough 90 days to make the same amount. When I started, it was 2 years and I believe that is about right. A 2 year driver is finally up to speed in most cases. Anything less, the driver thinks he/she are going faster than anyone else when in reality they are running around like a chicken whose head was cut off.

anonymous23456

Coders don't need degrees and certifications. Many are out of high school and many, many more are college dropouts.

Think Zuckerberg has a degree? Think Bill Gates graduated college? Think Steve Jobs did?

The economic headwinds the union enjoyed this contract are not likely to appear again in 2028. Union friendly party in charge of White House (as we know the geriatric isn't running it). Low unemployment. Low workforce participation. Record profits coming off a period of peak usage. Large competitor still being a customer (Amazon). Period of high inflation pressuring wages. Etc., Etc.

If you think that contract is going to add on this one and that SOB's tactics will work again you are not seeing the big picture.

The automation coming and swing of the country politically to the right that is occuring now with a SCOTUS that sides with employers over employees in 99% of cases will only increase over the next 5 years is going to devastate the union labor. RTW states are only going to increase and will even flop again in the one state that managed to beat them back (Michigan) as republicans have put spent massively to build candidates from the local school boards upward. Why do you think the whole banning books and other issues became such a fight? Those school board candidates will matriculate upwards through local elections and eventually find seats in legislatures where they will be repealing most of labors gains the last couple years.
They are not the average people on the street! Trying to say that any joe smoke can be them is not quite correct.

Zuckerberg and Bill Gates both went to Harvard. Bill Gates was majored in math and did write a good paper on some theory. These two saw the chance to be rich in business and dropped out. They could have continued their education.

Steve Jobs was a marketing genius.

There are coders who got job without degree but don't think for a minute that can apply to most people; only a few. How is a coder without deep knowledge (lot of math and engineering) can write computer code to control F22 flight surface?

Bag_Tosser

Coders don't need degrees and certifications. Many are out of high school and many, many more are college dropouts.

Think Zuckerberg has a degree? Think Bill Gates graduated college? Think Steve Jobs did?
I have friends who are coders. While yes, to get a foot in the door you merely need a few certificates, to make the amount of money a UPS driver makes requires at least a Bachelors in computer science.

Also, are you really comparing the average person to Zuckerberg, Gates, and Jobs? Were you dropped on your head?

anonymous23456

"Be whatever you want to be" turned out to the be the worst advice that they ever gave young people. :censored2:s are everywhere with "underwater basket weaving" degree and working at Starbucks because of it.

What happened to being practical and have common sense?

Coldworld

Marty Peters kid
1690561431186.gif

Trucker Clock

The union sold out existing part timers for the more money in union dues from starting employees. Old rate of 15.50 at 2.5x per month meant union dues of $38.75. Now it is $21 x 2.5 or $52.50 a month. That is what this was all about.

That 48% is because the pay was so awful to begin with. I can go from $15.50 to $21 and the percentage looks impressive until you realize no one was taking a job for $15.50 so they had these MRA's in places that were beyond $21 to get people to work. Lets stop playing the averages game and look at it by year:

The raises for PT'ers without MRA's is as follows:
Employees hired Aug 1 or later: current rate $15.50 new rate $21 ($5.50 raise)
1 yr employees: current $16.20 new rate $21 ($4.80 raise)
2 yr employees: current $16.70 new rate $21 ($4.30 raise)
3 yr employees: current $17.20 new rate $21 ($3.80 raise)
4 yr employee: current $17.70 new rate $21 ($3.20 raise)---same as a brand new hire thanks for your hard work
5 yr employee: current: $18.20 new rate $21.45 ($3.40 raise)
6 yr employee: current: $18.45 new rate $21.70 ($3.25 raise)
7 yr employee: current: $18.75 new rate $22.00 ($3.25 raise)
8 yr employee: current: $19.05 new rate $22.30 ($3.25 raise)

9 yr employee: current: $19.30 new rate $22.55 ($3.25 raise)--started at $8.50 Aug 2, 2013 got screwed in 2018 when new hires made $1.45 less last time they bumped starting wages. Now it's $1.55. So SOB negotiated a contract $0.10 better in wages than Hoffa's.

10 yr employee: current $19.75 new rate $23.50 (3.75 raise)
($3.75 raise continues until yr 14)
($4.25 raise at 15 yrs and beyond)

The company simply adjusted the starting rate for their MRA's (because they couldn't find workers at $15.50 an hour). The existing PT'ers making less than $21 an hour and having 9.99 yrs or less in July '23 got screwed.

Go back and look at your figures. The average raise you listed is $3.83.

A PTer making $16-$20/hr getting a $3.83 raise. Not bad out of the gate. New hires starting at $21. Not bad.

People will always find something to bitch about. Now they're bitching about new hires making as much as them and that the long timers were not taken care of. Well, the long timers have worked here, knowing what the wage was, and still continued to work here and not go FT or find another job. Now they want huge increases to make up for the subpar pay over the last decades.

I have never heard the uproar in the past that I am hearing in this contract about the part time pay. Because the PTers don't vote in numbers. ( I know my admirer @PT Car Washer is going to disagree with this, but it's true.) The FTers always got a decent bump in pay and benefits at the expense of the PTers because the Union took care of the people who voted on the contract and also who voted them into office.

Only a small percentage of us actually cared about the PTers and the unborn. For most people, it is if it's good for me, that's all I care about. This contract, with the help of SOB, seemed to change that attitude a little bit. The FTers were willing to strike over the PTers pay.

Now the thanks we get is bitching and moaning. We didn't get a bigger raise because the PTers got a good raise this contract and finally got a decent rate. Don't bitch, yes it could be a little more, but it will be $25-$30/hr after this contract. Not bad for a PT job with a pension and full medical.

Since these PTers that are bitching seem to be lifers, band together, show your numbers, and vote yourselves another good raise next contract. It's not that hard. The Union will give the majority of the voters the best deal to pass the contract. That could be you.

You want to vote it down and strike for a few more dollars? Good luck with that.

And nobody, not UPS nor the Union, is going to make that previous subpar rate right by "paying" them for all those years. A little extra was negotiated for the long timers, to try and put a little extra money in their pockets for the past years.

Yes, I know it could have been more. But everything is not just about raises. New FT jobs, pension increases, full healthcare without any additional costs, etc.

You might say PTers don't care about the extras. They only care about the wage. The wages now have caught up are not that out of proportion with what the job should pay.

Trucker Clock

You all sound like whiny little bitches in this thread…pt or ft whiny little bitches lol. It’s the exact reason management doesn’t listen. You cry about everything so the company does what it wants.

I can't believe that I am saying this, or typing this, but I cannot disagree.

If we were paid $100/hr, people would still find something to bitch about and whine and cry.

You can't make everybody happy. This contract tried to take care of the majority. It took care of the starting part time rate and took care of what most full timers really care about, pension and healthcare. A small minority got left behind a little bit. Not much, but a little.

We maybe could have got a little better raise, or we think that we should have, but the entire negotiating committee, who had accountants, labor lawyers and the whole kit and kaboodle tear into the Company's finances, agreed to this TA. So it seems that the people we elected to represent us got what they thought was the best they could get. And now we second guess them.

I admit, we are whiny little bitches....well some of us.

Staydryitsraining

Low end makes $22, high end makes $33hr. And their company makes half the profit ups makes, granted we have many more employees, but we did work through covid.
What is this talking point, we worked through covid. Explain exactly what your meaning. Because the reality is, we didnt loose our jobs during a fake pandemic where most people lost their jobs, homes, cars, savings got a shot that if your paying attention is causing real problems for alot of people, most people's world economically were turned upside down. So again explain how anyone at ups suffered?

Jim Rockford

What is this talking point, we worked through covid. Explain exactly what your meaning. Because the reality is, we didnt loose our jobs during a fake pandemic where most people lost their jobs, homes, cars, savings got a shot that if your paying attention is causing real problems for alot of people, most people's world economically were turned upside down. So again explain how anyone at ups suffered?
The point is…we shoulda been included in the scam. Too late now though.

Go back and look at your figures. The average raise you listed is $3.83.

A PTer making $16-$20/hr getting a $3.83 raise. Not bad out of the gate. New hires starting at $21. Not bad.

People will always find something to bitch about. Now they're bitching about new hires making as much as them and that the long timers were not taken care of. Well, the long timers have worked here, knowing what the wage was, and still continued to work here and not go FT or find another job. Now they want huge increases to make up for the subpar pay over the last decades.

I have never heard the uproar in the past that I am hearing in this contract about the part time pay. Because the PTers don't vote in numbers. ( I know my admirer @PT Car Washer is going to disagree with this, but it's true.) The FTers always got a decent bump in pay and benefits at the expense of the PTers because the Union took care of the people who voted on the contract and also who voted them into office.

Only a small percentage of us actually cared about the PTers and the unborn. For most people, it is if it's good for me, that's all I care about. This contract, with the help of SOB, seemed to change that attitude a little bit. The FTers were willing to strike over the PTers pay.

Now the thanks we get is bitching and moaning. We didn't get a bigger raise because the PTers got a good raise this contract and finally got a decent rate. Don't bitch, yes it could be a little more, but it will be $25-$30/hr after this contract. Not bad for a PT job with a pension and full medical.

Since these PTers that are bitching seem to be lifers, band together, show your numbers, and vote yourselves another good raise next contract. It's not that hard. The Union will give the majority of the voters the best deal to pass the contract. That could be you.

You want to vote it down and strike for a few more dollars? Good luck with that.

And nobody, not UPS nor the Union, is going to make that previous subpar rate right by "paying" them for all those years. A little extra was negotiated for the long timers, to try and put a little extra money in their pockets for the past years.

Yes, I know it could have been more. But everything is not just about raises. New FT jobs, pension increases, full healthcare without any additional costs, etc.

You might say PTers don't care about the extras. They only care about the wage. The wages now have caught up are not that out of proportion with what the job should pay.
Sometimes I just think you're an ashhole, but, my guy...

giphy (2).gif

Crosscutters

I’m still waiting to hear anything about our health care. Both for the average worker and for retirees. The pensions increase for both pet and full time are, meh.

Crosscutters

The
The extra 1.1 million people that have died wouldnt call it fake.