Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

over9five

Staff member
Facebook.png

oldngray

nowhere special
I just saw a fishing video and it was made on AEP land somewhere in Ohio. looked amazing 60,000 acres, 350 ponds 400 campsites and free...was wondering if anyone on here had ever taken advantage of this great deal.

That reclaimed strip mined land is a great recreation area. Its interesting to compare how different areas look depending on when they are so called reclaimed. I am not positive about the exact date but I think before 1948 they didn't have to do anything and it looked like a lunar landscape. After that they had to have some kind of plants growing so about all you would see are trees like sweetgum that will grow on very acidic soil. The law changed again in 1972 and after that it looks like parkland with a lot of grassy meadows. Still very thin topsoil so not so pretty if you dig down a couple of feet but great for recreational activity like hiking or hunting. They have been gradually reclaiming the older sites so most of it looks pretty nice now.The area I am thinking is was owned by Ohio Power which may be owned by AEP now. All you needed was a free permit to use the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.