Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
England to the rescue ! Canada-EU free trade this year ?

UK's Cameron urges quick completion of Canada-EU free trade agreement

DAVOS, Switzerland - Quick completion of a trade deal with Canada will help Europe regain some of its competitive edge, says British Prime Minister David Cameron

klein

Honor killings in Canada.......never!! It has taken this long to find out that it wasn't an accident!!

Security Threat Forces Delay Of Canadian 'honor Killing' Trial | Fox News

I didn't even read the full article, because I know all about it.
It happened sometime last year, and within a day or 2 they knew it was murder, and before a week was over the dad and son got arrested.
We are no different than the US. It takes about a year for both sides to go to trial and collect all evidence and make a case.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I didn't even read the full article, because I know all about it.
It happened sometime last year, and within a day or 2 they knew it was murder, and before a week was over the dad and son got arrested.
We are no different than the US. It takes about a year for both sides to go to trial and collect all evidence and make a case.
It's not at all the length of time I was noting......................the honor killing part is what I was bringing attention to. You know it's normal and acceptable to some. Those "some" need to live by the law and not by the Koran!!

klein

What else is new ?

Alberta earnings top all Canadian provinces

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald | Calgary Herald – 5 hours ago

The federal agency reported Thursday that average weekly earnings of non-farm payroll employees in Alberta rose to $1,052.53 in November, up five per cent from a year ago.

klein

Harper outlines 'major transformation' of immigration, retirement, investment

Harper said his government has worked to keep financial disorder out of Canada and is stepping up efforts to set the country on the right track for coming decades.
"We will do more, much more," he said.
"Under our government, Canada will make the transformations necessary to sustain economic growth, job creation and prosperity now and for the next generation."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Good, I'm glad !!! You don't get away with that crap in the civilized world !!

CNN Breaking News .......

A jury in Kingston, Ontario, on Sunday convicted three members of a Montreal family in "honor" murders of four relatives, according to CNN Canada affiliate CTV.

Mohammed Shafia, 58; his wife, Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 42; and their son, Hamed, 21, were convicted of first-degree murder in the deaths of Shafia's three teenage daughters and his first wife in his polygamous marriage.
The family members were all recent immigrants to Canada from Afghanistan.

The three Shafia sisters -- Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13 -- were found dead inside a car that plunged into the Rideau Canal in Kingston on June 30, 2009. Shafia's first wife, 50-year-old Rona Amir Mohammad, also died.

Investigators said that hours of wiretapped conversations revealed a premeditated plan to punish rebellious, Westernized daughters and their permissive advocate, Rona Amir Mohammad.
>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

klein

I'm actually surprised of 2 things myself >
1) On a Sunday that courts are open
2) 1st degree murder !!!!! (but great ) !!! :)

klein

Big changes to Canada's pension plan in 2012
Alterations to the system are already taking shape and may require you to see a financial advisor.

klein

How police were able to catch the Shafia family

It didn't take cops long to realize Mohammad Shafia, his wife and son weren't telling the truth.

klein

Sorry, didn't check the link last night if working or not. It's a good read, a little short crime story in itself :
(that's why I posted it)

moreluck

golden ticket member
2:42 PM Caterpillar (CAT +2.8%) says it will close a locomotive assembly plant in Canada where unionized workers have been locked out since the beginning of the year after they refused to accept pay cuts and other concessions. The Canadian Auto Workers Union says CAT never intended to keep the plant open.

klein

2:42 PM Caterpillar (CAT +2.8%) says it will close a locomotive assembly plant in Canada where unionized workers have been locked out since the beginning of the year after they refused to accept pay cuts and other concessions. The Canadian Auto Workers Union says CAT never intended to keep the plant open.

That's the problem. It was very profitable when the Canadian dollar was only 65 cents to the US dollar (or US$1 = C$1.50).
Now a US$ doesn't even buy $1 CDN.

And no, it's not Obama, under Bush the C$ was worth as much as over $1.10US. (now just 1.005).

Oh well, they should move all those factories to Alberta anyways - where it's needed !

klein

Ford dethroned as Canada's top automaker

The car company saw the strongest January since the economic crisis of 2008 but still fell short.

klein

They would but no one in Alberta fills out job applications.

Well, I sure really can't anymore. I already work 7days a week, and next month if I get into the shutdown procedure of the coal electricity plant, then I'll be working over 20 hrs a day, 7 days a week, doing 2 jobs.

Money, money, money :)