Official Canada Thread with Current News

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hey klein, here's a new sport that you should try.

Eight players, two nets, one ball — and eight electric tasers. This, plus a stadium, is all you need to play Ultimate Taser Ball, the sport that first began to electrify Canada last month.
The aim of the game is to run with an oversized ball to your opponents’ net and score, reports Toronto’s National Post. Along the way, players on the opposing team try to jolt the ball-carrier with a 300,000 volt stun gun.
“It’s not technically a police grade Taser,” said Eric Prum, 25, one of the founders of Ultimate Taser Ball. “That being said, the first thing the [players] will tell you is that they hate getting tased. Those things really do hurt.”
The sport is technically illegal in Canada, where electroshock guns are considered dangerous weapons. So although the extreme sport was created north of the border, the first games were played in California stadiums without a live audience.
Players maintain that the sport poses no threat of death or serious harm because the stun-guns deliver significantly less electric current than the 1 amp needed to kill.
The players view themselves as athletes out to entertain, not merely to injure one another.
An exhibition game is planned for Bangkok, Thailand. Organizers are looking to bring the spectacle to Mexico City later in the year.

P

pickup

Hey klein, here's a new sport that you should try.

Eight players, two nets, one ball — and eight electric tasers. This, plus a stadium, is all you need to play Ultimate Taser Ball, the sport that first began to electrify Canada last month.
The aim of the game is to run with an oversized ball to your opponents’ net and score, reports Toronto’s National Post. Along the way, players on the opposing team try to jolt the ball-carrier with a 300,000 volt stun gun.
“It’s not technically a police grade Taser,” said Eric Prum, 25, one of the founders of Ultimate Taser Ball. “That being said, the first thing the [players] will tell you is that they hate getting tased. Those things really do hurt.”
The sport is technically illegal in Canada, where electroshock guns are considered dangerous weapons. So although the extreme sport was created north of the border, the first games were played in California stadiums without a live audience.
Players maintain that the sport poses no threat of death or serious harm because the stun-guns deliver significantly less electric current than the 1 amp needed to kill.
The players view themselves as athletes out to entertain, not merely to injure one another.
An exhibition game is planned for Bangkok, Thailand. Organizers are looking to bring the spectacle to Mexico City later in the year.

Actually Klein is the champion of the Edmonton League of Employment Ball. Employment ball is very similar to dodge ball, with a catch. The League is run by the Canadian Department of Unemployment and the participants are those on the unemployment rolls. Participation is mandatory.

The Ball is hollow and filled with a job description. Like dodge ball there are two sides. The player who gets hit with the (without catching it)ball has to accept the job that is in the ball. The ball is then filled with another job offer and the game continues until there is one last standing.

In 54 games played, Klein managed to always dodge the job offer and was recently inducted into the "Champion Dodgers" hall of fame.

Look at the poor creature, as the Anti-Christ Steven Joseph Harper uses his devilish powers to mesmerize the beast to get it to do its evil bidding.

I thought Klein meant they were getting two blonde women decent enough in appearance to not need bags on their heads.

klein

Für Meno :)
War of 1812 important because it kept out U.S. government -and Snooki: poll

OTTAWA - The War of 1812 may be one of the world's oddest conflicts, if only because both sides are confident they won.

Americans see it as a war that produced their national anthem. Canadians see it as a war which saved them from American assimilation and preserved them from American politics, gun laws and shared citizenship with Snooki of "Jersey Shore."

klein

edmonton_108.jpg
Families are making the move to Edmonton
Nearly 82,000 more people decided to call Canada's western Mecca home in 2011 than in 2006.

City of Edmonton- Edmontonstories.ca

Dr. Cernak, A world-renowned researcher from the prestigious Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore is moving to Edmonton, to focus on improving the lives of injured soldiers.

War of 1812 important because it kept out U.S. government -and Snooki: poll

OTTAWA - The War of 1812 may be one of the world's oddest conflicts, if only because both sides are confident they won.

Americans see it as a war that produced their national anthem. Canadians see it as a war which saved them from American assimilation and preserved them from American politics, gun laws and shared citizenship with Snooki of "Jersey Shore."

Gosh. You're so witty when you plagiarize.

P

pickup

The Oath of Citizenship
I swear (or affirm)
That I will be faithful
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Queen of Canada
Her Heirs and Successors
And that I will faithfully observe
The laws of Canada
And fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Look at that oath for those who become citizens of Canada. The oath is implied already for those born in this land. You Canadians owe not allegiance to a nation, an ideal, but to the Queen of England.

Bow to the Queen, Klein. Good boy, Good boy!

P

pickup

Justin Trudeau upset with the direction of Canada under the Anti-Christ Steven Joseph Harper.

Trudeau clarifies musings about Quebec sovereignty

DS

Fenderbender
The Oath of Citizenship
I swear (or affirm)
That I will be faithful
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Queen of Canada
Her Heirs and Successors
[SUP]And that I will faithfully observe
The laws of Canada [/SUP]

And fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Look at that oath for those who become citizens of Canada. The oath is implied already for those born in this land. You Canadians owe not allegiance to a nation, an ideal, but to the Queen of England.

Bow to the Queen, Klein. Good boy, Good boy!

I take offence to this pickup,in fact you sound just as childish as Klein.
I know he goaded you into it,but it does not make it right.

Canada is not the only country under the sovereignty of QE II.

Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926[SUP][note 1][/SUP]) is the constitutional monarch of 16 of the 54 sovereign states within the Commonwealth of Nations, and Head of the Commonwealth. In order of foundation, the 16 independent Commonwealth realms are the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia,New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands,Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. As the British monarch, she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926[SUP][note 1][/SUP]) is the constitutional monarch of 16 of the 54 sovereign states within the Commonwealth of Nations, and Head of the Commonwealth. In order of foundation, the 16 independent Commonwealth realms are the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia,New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands,Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. As the British monarch, she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

It doesn't make it right to be constantly goaded either but there seems to be little attempt at suggesting he cut back on it before the masses turn on him. Only afterwards do others seem "offended".

P

pickup

Ds, if you are offended then I apologize. I am curious... what part exactly offended you?

Seriously, not that it is a good thing or bad thing, but are natural born Canadians(citizens from day one ) aware that the Queen technically rules Canada? They never have to take the oath so does it comes up explicitly in other ways? And you can make the argument that she has no real power over Canadian affairs but I think she does.

For example a few years back, Steven Harper ,facing a looming and certain no confidence vote in 2008 , appealed to the Queen's proxy(stand in) , the Governor General to dissolve parliament. Let me just state for those reading along, the Governor General is not elected by the people of Canada, but is APPOINTED by the Queen. Anyway, the Governor General did indeed suspend Parliament and the no confidence vote didn't happen. One has to , more than assume, that the Governor General took his orders from the Queen on this and even if he didn't, he was still appointed by her, an unelected official(appointed by an unelected Queen) subverting the will of the people in the form of shutting down their elected representatives.

Seems to me that the Queen is running things there by proxy, at the very least.

So, two things, Ds. Are native born Canadians aware of the real power and status of the Queen and what did I do exactly to offend you?

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

ottawa_airport_cp_croplarge.jpg

Canadian airport named best in North America

This airport received top marks for customer service and facilities, shows a new survey. Also ranks No. 2 in world for category

klein

Happy National Flag Day, Canada !

flagday_lg.jpg

The facts behind Canada’s Flag Day

It's the day to celebrate Canada's flag, but many Canadians might not know when the day started, or why. Eventful first Flag Day

P

pickup

It doesn't make it right to be constantly goaded either but there seems to be little attempt at suggesting he cut back on it before the masses turn on him. Only afterwards do others seem "offended".

YEAH!, what he said.

P

pickup

Happy National Flag Day, Canada !

flagday_lg.jpg

The facts behind Canada’s Flag Day

It's the day to celebrate Canada's flag, but many Canadians might not know when the day started, or why. Eventful first Flag Day

Taken from the article: The motion to approve the single-leaf design we know today was passed December 15, 1964, and made official by Queen Elizabeth on January 28, effective as of February 15.

Aww, she let you have your own flag, how nice even though it changes nothing.

Bow to the Queen , Klein! Bow to the Queen! Goooood boy.

DS

Fenderbender
Seems to me that the Queen is running things there by proxy, at the very least.
So, two things, Ds. Are native born Canadians aware of the real power and status of the Queen and what did I do exactly to offend you?

I'm a relic.I remember that day in 1964 when we looked out the school window at our new flag,and I felt proud.
I remember singing God save the Queen every morning in school before they switched to "Oh Canada"
Kids are taught about the sovereignty in grades 4 and 5 here,so they know the basics.Other than her picture on
our $20's that's probably the last they bother thinking about the Queen.

The real power of the Queen is negligible.Proxy is hardly the right word.It's more like we are proud to be affiliated,and have a deep respect for our heritage.My Grandmother was from Dundee,and my grandfather was a sailor in the royal navy. You seem well read in Canadian politics,maybe even more than me.
I can't put my finger on what bugged me exactly,I guess it struck me as being a bit over the top with the bowing to the Queen comment.When Klein goes on and on about how much better we have it than the USA,I get the same feeling.Please remember Klein may be a Canuck,but he is the redheaded stepchild of the average Canadian.
Here's a picture my grandfather saved.Not sure who it is,but it sure smells of the sea.

sailor.jpg

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Justin Trudeau upset with the direction of Canada under the Anti-Christ Steven Joseph Harper.

Justin Trudeau has nothing going for him but his relationship to his father.
If he ever expects to be taken seriously,he should think before he speaks.