Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
DS, thought you would have written more.
Our Governor General is not appointed by the Queen !
Our government in power selects an honouable candidate to represent the Queen. The Queen does sign on the dotted line, so to speak.
By the way, it was a "she" that approved the shut down of parlament, a couple of years ago, not a "he" !
She was born in Haiti, too.

William Shattner could have became our new Governor General, but he didn't want the job.

The governour general must also be bilingual (fluent in English & French), which indeed Schattner would have been (born and raised in Montreal).

P

pickup

DS, thought you would have written more.
Our Governor General is not appointed by the Queen !
Our government in power selects an honouable candidate to represent the Queen. The Queen does sign on the dotted line, so to speak.
By the way, it was a "she" that approved the shut down of parlament, a couple of years ago, not a "he" !
She was born in Haiti, too.

William Shattner could have became our new Governor General, but he didn't want the job.

The governour general must also be bilingual (fluent in English & French), which indeed Schattner would have been (born and raised in Montreal).

Well , Klein is right, it was a "she", not a "he" in 2008. I was a little confused when I wrote "his" in one of my posts because apparently this sort of thing has happened three times now in three years, and not all the times, was the governor general a "she". In 2011, when Parliament was dissolved(yet again), the governor general was a "he".

� Queen dissolves Canadian Parliament for third time in 3 years Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I am going to look into exactly how the governor general is appointed. Even if what you say is true, Mr. Klein, I don't think a governor general would be chosen that wouldn't have the pre-approval of the Queen. I'll get back to you on that. Let me address Mr. DS's post first.

And whether the technical term is "dissolving Parliament" or "proroguing Parliament", the effect is the same.

P

pickup

I'm a relic.I remember that day in 1964 when we looked out the school window at our new flag,and I felt proud.
I remember singing God save the Queen every morning in school before they switched to "Oh Canada"
Kids are taught about the sovereignty in grades 4 and 5 here,so they know the basics.Other than her picture on
our $20's that's probably the last they bother thinking about the Queen.

The real power of the Queen is negligible.Proxy is hardly the right word.It's more like we are proud to be affiliated,and have a deep respect for our heritage.My Grandmother was from Dundee,and my grandfather was a sailor in the royal navy. You seem well read in Canadian politics,maybe even more than me.
I can't put my finger on what bugged me exactly,I guess it struck me as being a bit over the top with the bowing to the Queen comment.When Klein goes on and on about how much better we have it than the USA,I get the same feeling.Please remember Klein may be a Canuck,but he is the redheaded stepchild of the average Canadian.
Here's a picture my grandfather saved.Not sure who it is,but it sure smells of the sea.

sailor.jpg

Actually DS, until I met our dear esteemed Mr. Klein, I knew next to nothing about Canada. In my attempt to bring the battle to his side of the soccer field, I attempted to learn the name of the prime minister who I now refer to affectionately as the Anti-Christ. In digging for embarrassing info and videos on the man, I have learned something about Canada.

I also wondered about the role of the Queen and was assured (and I believed) that the Queen had no power in Canada. Then one day, Klein posted a story about a court proceeding in Canada and the term "the Crown" was used. In America, criminal cases are pushed by "the State",(at least at the state level). A murder is not considered a crime against a person but a crime against the state(which opens up another can of worms but let's leave that to the side).

But "the Crown"??? Well that sounds like the English Monarchy still has a role in the affairs in Canada. And that is when I went digging into the hierarchy of Canada and found that the Prime Minister is just the front man(in my opinion. The Governor General sits on top of that post in the hierarchy and the Queen is above the Governor General. I will attempt to learn more about this.

I apologize to you about offending you. I always had the fear that I might do so when going after Klein. It's a shame he has a convenient shield in you (an unwilling one, I imagine). The arrows I have shot at him have wounded you as well. I will be more careful about what and when I pull from my quiver.

klein

Für Meno :)
When parlament is dissolved, that means we'll hold elections. (They need to dissolved it, once they call an election).
Proroguing Parliament, just means it's "break-time". Parliament shuts down, and returns later. Last time that was done was for the Vancouver Olympics.

Anyways, here's some more food for thought :
After the credit agencies downgraded the US and about a dozen European countries, those idiots want Canada to spend more money and go higher into debt ! :

World’s leading rating firms question Canada’s budget cuts

According to a story in the Wall Street Journal, analysts at Moody's and Fitch Ratings - two of the world's leading ratings firms - are warning that the Canadian government's plan to increase spending cuts isn't necessary and could actually do more harm than good.

And to DS, as an elementary student in Edmonton, I also had to sing "God Save the Queen" & "Oh Canada" first thing in the morning before classes begun.
A framed picture of the Queen was in every classroom, as well as the Canadian Flag.

P

pickup

Geez, look at this: (taken from wikipedia):

As per the Constitution Act, 1867, Canada is a constitutional monarchy, wherein the role of the reigning sovereign is both legal and practical, but not political.[SUP][13][/SUP] The Crown is regarded as a corporation, with the monarch, vested as she is with all powers of state,[SUP][14][/SUP] at the centre of a construct in which the power of the whole is shared by multiple institutions of government acting under the sovereign's authority;[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP] the Crown has thus been described as the underlying principle of Canada's institutional unity,[SUP][18][/SUP] with the executive formally called the Queen-in-Council, the legislature the Queen-in-Parliament, and the courts as the Queen on the Bench.[SUP][7][/SUP]

Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, wearing the Sovereign's insignia of the Order of Canada and the Order of Military Merit

Royal Assent and the royal sign-manual are required to enact laws, letters patent, and orders in council, though the authority for these acts stems from the Canadian populace and,[SUP][19][/SUP][SUP][20][/SUP] within the conventional stipulations of constitutional monarchy, the sovereign's direct participation in any of these areas of governance is limited.[SUP][21][/SUP][SUP][22][/SUP] While Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada, as an individual she is also the head of state of 15 other countries in the Commonwealth of Nations. It should be noted however that as Canada's Sovereign, the Queen of Canada is "truly Canadian", and is "totally independent from that of the Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms".[SUP][23][/SUP][SUP][24][/SUP] As Queen of Canada, Her Majesty appoints a viceregal representative (the Governor-General) who is currently David Lloyd Johnston. The Governor-General acts in Her Majesty's stead while she is not in Canada. Since 1947, theGovernor General of Canada has been permitted to exercise almost all of the sovereign's Royal Prerogative, though some powers do remain the Queen's alone. Further, the monarch and governor general typically follow the near-binding advice of their ministers of the Crown in cabinet, who rule "in trust" for the monarch.[SUP][25][/SUP] It is important to note, however, that the Royal Prerogative belongs to the Crown and not to any of the ministers,[SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][26][/SUP] and the royal and viceroyal figures may unilaterally use these powers in exceptionalconstitutional crisis situations.[SUP][n 1][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP][SUP][29][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP][SUP][31][/SUP] Politicians can sometimes try to use to their favour the complexity of the relationship between the monarch, viceroy, ministers, and parliament, and the public's general unfamiliarity with it.[SUP][n 2][/SUP]
The Canadian monarchy is a federal one in which the Crown is unitary throughout all jurisdictions in the country, with the headship of state being a part of all equally.[SUP][32][/SUP] As such, the sovereignty of the federal and provincial regions is passed on not by the governor general or federal parliament, but through the overreaching Crown itself. Though singular, the Crown is thus "divided" into eleven legal jurisdictions, or eleven "crowns" — one federal and ten provincial.[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][33][/SUP] A lieutenant governor serves as the Queen's representative in each province, carrying out all the monarch's constitutional and ceremonial duties of state on her behalf.

It seems that this excerpt tries to say one thing, being that the queen has no real Power in Canada and then suggests that she does have the real power. She is the Crown. She APPOINTS the Governor General. The ministers have "near binding" power , but "near" is only good in horseshoes. In actuality, the way I read it, that means that they DON'T have binding power.

It seems like , in my opinion, the Prime Minister is the bagman in this political process. He takes the blame and the credit for things that happen under his watch. But he is not the real power, just my opinion.

And sad to say, we have a similar state of affairs in America, our politicians are the fronts for corporations, again my opinion.

P

pickup

hmm, right from the beginning, she says that the "Crown is more than a person", but that implies that technically it is a person". She can say what she likes the Crown to be perceived as, but the reality is that she is the Crown.

The Queen's speech in Canada (1973) - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

odd, i can't change the spelling from begging to beginning in the editing process.

You're welcome - The Phantom Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

And here is video that seems to embody the conclusions that I have arrived at independently(that's scary). Unfotunately there is a little bit from 0:44 to 1:03 about the U.S. presidency that seems to be a little off and plays no part in my argument. Please ignore that. And that annoying music at the beginning of the video ends about 16 seconds into the video.

Rather informative video.

Conspiracy Theory - Powers of the Queen of Canada England NWO - YouTube

moreluck

golden ticket member
That was an interesting video....everything is either 'royal' or 'crown' .

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Crown corporations
Canada is Crown Land.

My question is....What about Royal Crown Cola and Crown Royal ??

P

pickup

Crown Royal was actually made for the Queens first visit to Canada, I believe, and it's been around ever since.

Yeah, Crown Royal a product of the Bronfmans , a fun loving Canadian family that imported Bootleg liquor into America during Prohibition, circumventing our American Laws.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yup, because if you want to live in a free country, it should be up to individuals if they want a gay marriage or an abortion. Or even drink.
Yep, just leave it all up to the individual, no laws, no order, no rules just everybody run around, willy nilly!!
:panicsmiley: :wootsmiley: :sissyfight:

P

pickup

Personification of the Canadian state
220px-Queen_of_canada_wob.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II wearing the Vladimir Tiara, as well as the Sovereign's insignia of the Order of Canada and the Order of Military Merit​

The Crown is an integral part of a practical form of government, and as such it has a direct and substantive part to play in the lives of all Canadians.[SUP][71][/SUP]

David E. Smith, The Invisible Crown, 1995​

As the living embodiment of the Crown,[SUP][61][/SUP] the sovereign is regarded as the personification of the Canadianstate,[SUP][n 11][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP][SUP][77][/SUP][SUP][78][/SUP][SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][80][/SUP] the body of the reigning sovereign thus holding two distinct personas in constant coexistence: that of a natural-born human being and that of the state as accorded to him or her through law;[SUP][n 12][/SUP] even in private, the monarch is always "on duty".[SUP][82][/SUP] The state is therefore referred to as Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada (French: Sa Majesté la Reine du chef du Canada),[SUP][83][/SUP] or The Crown in Right of Canada, and the monarch's legal personality is sometimes referred to simply as Canada.[SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][84][/SUP]
As such, the king or queen of Canada is the employer of all government staff (including the viceroys, judges, members of theCanadian Forces, police officers, and parliamentarians),[SUP][n 13][/SUP] the guardian of foster children (Crown wards), as well as the owner of all state lands (Crown land), buildings and equipment (Crown held property),[SUP][86][/SUP] state owned companies (Crown corporations), and thecopyright for all government publications (Crown copyright).[SUP][87][/SUP] This is all in his or her position as sovereign, and not as an individual; all such property is held by the Crown in perpetuity and cannot be sold by the sovereign without the proper advice and consent of his or her ministers.
As the embodiment of the state, the monarch tops the Canadian order of precedence, and is also the locus of oaths of allegiance,[SUP][n 14][/SUP][SUP][73][/SUP][SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][89][/SUP][SUP][90][/SUP] required of many employees of the Crown, as well as by new citizens, as per the Oath of Citizenship laid out in the Citizenship Act. This is done in reciprocation to the sovereign's Coronation Oath,[SUP][91][/SUP] wherein he or she promises "to govern the Peoples of... Canada... according to their respective laws and customs."[SUP][92][/SUP]
[h=3][edit]Head of state[/h]Though it has been argued that the term head of state is a republican one inapplicable in a constitutional monarchy such as Canada, where the monarch is the embodiment of the state and thus cannot be head of it,[SUP][82][/SUP] the sovereign is regarded by official government sources,[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][93][/SUP][SUP][94][/SUP] judges,[SUP][95][/SUP] constitutional scholars,[SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][96][/SUP] and pollsters as the head of state,[SUP][97][/SUP] while the governor general and lieutenant governors are all only representatives of, and thus equally subordinate to, that figure.[SUP][98][/SUP] Some governors general, their staff, government publications,[SUP][79][/SUP] and constitutional scholars like Edward McWhinney and C. E. S. Franks have,[SUP][99][/SUP][SUP][100][/SUP] however, referred to the position of governor general as that of Canada's head of state,[SUP][101][/SUP][SUP][102][/SUP] though sometimes qualilfying the assertion with de facto or effective;[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP][104][/SUP][SUP][105][/SUP] Franks has hence recommended that the governor general be named officially as the head of state.[SUP][100][/SUP] Since 1927, governors general have been received on state visits abroad as though they were heads of state.[SUP][106][/SUP]
Officials at Rideau Hall have pointed to the Letters Patent of 1947 as justification for describing the governor general as head of state, but others countered that the document makes no such distinction, either literally or implicitly,[SUP][107][/SUP] nor does it effect an abdication of the sovereign's powers in favour of the viceroy.[SUP][36][/SUP] Michael D. Jackson, former protocol officer for Saskatchewan, pointed out that Rideau Hall had been attempting to "recast" the governor general as head of state since the 1970s and that doing so preempted both the Queen and all of the lieutenant governors,[SUP][98][/SUP] the latter causing not only "precedence wars" at provincial events (where the governor general usurped the lieutenant governor's proper spot as most senior official in attendance),[SUP][108][/SUP][SUP][109][/SUP] but also constitutional issues by "unbalancing[...] the federalist symmetry."[SUP][65][/SUP][SUP][110][/SUP] This has been regarded as both a natural evolution and as a dishonest effort to alter the constitution without public scrutiny.[SUP][107][/SUP][SUP][111][/SUP] Still others view the role of head of state as being shared by both the sovereign and her viceroys.[SUP][112][/SUP][SUP][113][/SUP][SUP][114][/SUP]
In a poll conducted by Ipsos-Reid following the first prorogation of the 40th parliament on 4 December 2008, it was found that 42% of the sample group thought the prime minister was head of state, while 33% felt it was the governor general. Only 24% named the Queen as head of state,[SUP][97][/SUP] a number up from 2002, when the results of an EKOS Research Associates survey showed only 5% of those polled knew the Queen was head of state (69% answered that it was the prime minister).[SUP][115]

Wow, look at that last paragraph, sorry to say but it is true, a lot of ignorance on the part of Canadians about the hierarchy of their government.

moreluck

golden ticket member
[SUP]"Wow, look at that last paragraph, sorry to say but it is true, a lot of ignorance on the part of Canadians about the hierarchy of their government."

Want to feel really bad? Go to an American college and ask, who's the majority leader of the Senate? or who's the speaker of the house? They have no clue.
[/SUP]

P

pickup

When parlament is dissolved, that means we'll hold elections. (They need to dissolved it, once they call an election).
Proroguing Parliament, just means it's "break-time". Parliament shuts down, and returns later. Last time that was done was for the Vancouver Olympics.

Apparently, there was more to it than "let's break for the Olympics, we can't focus on making laws and watching curling at the same time".

Canada's Parliament: Harper goes prorogue | The Economist

Seems that Mr. Harper had more pressing reasons to get Parliament to disappear for an unprecedented amount of time.

Excerpt from article:

Never mind what his spin doctors say: Mr Harper’s move looks like naked self-interest. His officials faced grilling by parliamentary committees over whether they misled the House of Commons in denying knowledge that detainees handed over to the local authorities by Canadian troops in Afghanistan were being tortured. The government would also have come under fire for its lack of policies to curb Canada’s abundant carbon emissions. Prorogation means that such committees—which carry out the essential democratic task of scrutinising government—will have to be formed anew in March. That will also allow Mr Harper to gain immediate control of committees in the appointed Senate, where his Conservatives are poised to become the biggest party.

So Mr. Klein, why no postings about this when it was occurring? Were you blissfully unaware? and if so was it because you were more worried about what goes on south of your border than what goes on within your borders?

Or were you aware and just chose not to share because it would show your Country not to be the utopia you claim it to be?

P

pickup

Excerpt from that article again: Never mind what his spin doctors say: Mr Harper’s move looks like naked self-interest. His officials faced grilling by parliamentary committees over whether they misled the House of Commons in denying knowledge that detainees handed over to the local authorities by Canadian troops in Afghanistan were being tortured. The government would also have come under fire for its lack of policies to curb Canada’s abundant carbon emissions. Prorogation means that such committees—which carry out the essential democratic task of scrutinising government—will have to be formed anew in March. That will also allow Mr Harper to gain immediate control of committees in the appointed Senate, where his Conservatives are poised to become the biggest party.

I just learned that the members of Canada's senate are not elected but are appointed and guess by whom: the Governor General (and how convenient, on the advice of the Prime Minister who in this case is Mr. Harper).

Not Elected, Mr. Klein. Not Elected. Nice political system up there.