Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
Canadians again at work in the US, helping them out !

Eight air tankers -- including two from Canada are in Colorado battling blazes which authorities sent nearly 1,800 evacuation notices to phone numbers but it wasn't immediately clear how many residents had to leave. About 500 people had checked in at Red Cross shelters. Larimer County sheriff Justin Smith said. He said there was an unconfirmed report of a person unaccounted for, but he wouldn't elaborate.

Authorities say it's the worst fire seen in Larimer County in about 25 years. It spread as fast as 2.4 kilometres an hour Saturday, skipping and jumping over some areas but burning intensely in trees in others. Flames were coming dangerously close to deputies who were telling some residents to evacuate.

My personal opinion : Isn't it awesome to declare victory in Wisconsin, laying off fire fighters and other government workers to save tax payers money, but then hire Canadians to do the job ?
Nice victory indeed - keep it up !

Oh yeah, I'm almost certain we'll be in New Mexico very soon, too.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's not that you don't need firefighters and such, It's that YOU CAN'T BANKRUPT YOUR STATE TO PAY FOR THEM!!!! Clear??? You can't live beyond your means whether you are a person, state, city or country. ....or you will cease to exist and won't need firefighters, cops, or anybody.

If you don't get that, then you are hopeless.

klein

Calling all Canadians :
If you want to volunteer planting trees just a few hrs, (1 day only), in your neighborhood, and in return get some awesome free concert tickets, and a Red Leaaf project T-Shirt to keep.
Please visit the link below (Molson Canadian Red Leaf Project).
I wanted to join, but in Edmonton it's on a Thursday evening starting at 7pm, and I work that evening until 11pm :(

http://www.molsoncanadian.ca/en/red-leaf-project/home.aspx

klein

iceland_450.jpg

The most peaceful country on the planet

Canada makes headlines after jumping to No. 4 on the Global Peace Index, but still can't shake this most serene destination. No. 1

Canada has come in fourth on an annual ranking of world peacefulness, trailing only Iceland, Denmark and New Zealand.
In contrary the United States ranks 88th out of 158 countries.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My personal opinion : Isn't it awesome to declare victory in Wisconsin, laying off fire fighters and other government workers to save tax payers money, but then hire Canadians to do the job ?
Nice victory indeed - keep it up !

Please supply your source that anyone in Wisc. was laid off ?

P

pickup

iceland_450.jpg

The most peaceful country on the planet

Canada makes headlines after jumping to No. 4 on the Global Peace Index, but still can't shake this most serene destination. No. 1

Canada has come in fourth on an annual ranking of world peacefulness, trailing only Iceland, Denmark and New Zealand.
In contrary the United States ranks 88th out of 158 countries.

I don't know , but I when I read the article , I get the impression that Iceland is the most Peaceful country in the world(which is the title).

So Hooray for Iceland.

#4 doesn't even get a medal in the olympics.

P

pickup

#88 doesn't even get you to the Olympics ! ;) LOL

Cute article, tailor made for the Canadian Audience with the detail about where their country ranks on that list(info about the criteria and just how they are weighted is not provided by the way), as well with the info that all Canadians want to know: how America is ranked.

This is so true about Canadians in general( yes some exceptions): they are just so fascinated with America. For example, if there were no laws on the books regarding Canadian radio stations, not a single Canadian performer would be heard as the Canadian listening audience would only want to hear Americans singing. So the laws are there to ram something into the ears of people who don't want to hear it. And like good little sheeple, they don't complain.

Sorry, Ds, he's inadvertently hiding behind you but I have to take my shots.

Oh by the way, as of the noon exchange rate, the Canadian Dollar is only worth 97 cents of American currency.

Must really suck traveling as a Canadian these days( if it sucked for us when your dollar was higher ,Klein, then it must suck for you when our dollar is higher).

klein

KLein,

88th or not -----Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize from two faced Liberals ----What award did your guy get ?

He got a full majority government from the Canadian people.
Which means we don't have the problem like the US, that every bill gets tied up in Congress or the House and never gets approved and nothing gets done.

We can move on and adjust to global trade/economics in a flash, unlike the US that is constantly in disagreements and stalemates, and is just kicking the can down the road.
That is the major US downfall, everyone knows it, yet nothing is being done about it.